The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my car without starshield and I didnt get the little pieces of clear protection that go in front of the rear wheels on the standard cars. Did Lotus stop installing them after a certaint point or did they just forget to do mine, since I ordered the starshield originally and then changed my mind

(See picture of euro car with black area for area in question)

The dealer gave me the pieces and I want to put them on.

However I have some questions.

Should I remove all the wax that is on the car around that area first by washing the car with Dawn or is it ok to put it over a waxed surface?

I peeled back some of the paper and noticed that the backing is sticky, unlike regular window film that installs and sticks on when it is wet. Do I just peel off the backing, wet it, and then slide it around and squeegie out any bubbles?

If I decide to remove it, how is it done? I'm afraid that since the backing is sticky, it might take off the paint if I decide to remove it and have starshield installed at a later date. Has anyone every taken it off to install starshield or another aftermarket film? Does it leave a sticky residue which has to be removed?

Can someone that has the US clear pieces on a non starshield car take a close up picture of it, so I can make sure I am installing it in the exact same position.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
look around in your car. 3 weeks after i gt the car i found te lotus clear pieces under the passenger seat. i thought they usually showed up in the rear next to the battery but there it is

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Rub down the area where the shield is going to be applied with a 70% alcohol solution (availabe at Walmart).

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LotusLust said:
look around in your car. 3 weeks after i gt the car i found te lotus clear pieces under the passenger seat. i thought they usually showed up in the rear next to the battery but there it is
I just checked under the seats and found one of the little black plugs that the roof support bar gets mounted into. They must have dropped one and not have been able to find it. I was able see the plug and then was able to move the driver seat up and back in order to get to it. There is almost no room underneath the seats. If you have loose change fall out under the passenger seat it is going to be nearly impossible to retrieve it.

I looked in the trunk and couldnt find any pieces, but now I know where the can of fix of flat is mounted.

·
Registered
714 Posts
xxxotic said:
There is almost no room underneath the seats. If you have loose change fall out under the passenger seat it is going to be nearly impossible to retrieve it.
Nah, it shouldn't be too hard. Just wait until there is no one behind you and stand on the brakes. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
xxxotic,

I got a new Acura TL as a daily driver last week and had a local company apply the 3M clearbra. Came out very nice. Mostly I had it applied to this car as a test. I'll likely be ordering my Elise with no Starshield and having the local guy install it. Plus, he's a couple of hundred dollars less. He could probably come up with something freehand, if he didn't already have the pattern in the computer, to protect the area you've specified.

If you need the contact info let me know and I'll put you in touch with them.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard it it a pain to install the full kit on the Elise if it is your first time doing it, and would prefer to have someone with experience do it. I think there is someone from Tampa that posted that they can install it on the Elise, and about 5 months ago someone posted the name of the person or company that they thought was doing the installs for Lotus at the port, and they are located in North Fl around where my mother lives.

I am still waiting and checking on estimates of vinyl vs. painted stripes, and then I would want to get the starshield installed. (MW, are you and your friend working on making a stripe kit for the Elise?) I will just put the small starshield pieces on by myself as a temporary fix, since the area already has a few tiny specks on it from rocks.

·
Banned
338 Posts
xxxotic, I would not be driving your Elise too much without any clear bra. The paint on the Elise chips really easy I have read, and once it's chipped it is too late.

·
Registered
818 Posts
dimmitt has a guy do there stuff. they did mine. only thing is a dont have the pieces in front of the back wheels. and that area is starting to look bad.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Probably best to get it done when you order the car.

If you get it done when you order the car it will be protected all the way from the factory in transit to the dealership. It might even do its job in transit, if something were to fall on the area or bump up against the vehicle.
Better protected from the start. Plus it will be under the cars warrenty from Lotus which is a good thing. Say you were to get it done from a local installer, and then get a job transfer and move. Then down the line you have a problem. No warrenty.
Something to think about.
Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts