The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying an Elise for a weekend/open track day car.

However, at 6' 3" 195lbs concerned about driving comfort.

Thoughts from the taller drivers, thanks.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Thinking of buying an Elise for a weekend/open track day car.

However, at 6' 3" 195lbs concerned about driving comfort.

Thoughts from the taller drivers, thanks.
I'm 6'3", 215. If I was 2 inches taller my head would be touching the roof for sure. It's impossible to have my arms straight out touching the steering wheel and lean back on the seat if that gives you an idea of the size. My right knee also comes into play when shifting/turning hard due to lack of room. But the drive makes up for its minor disadvantages. Go for it.

What part of CHI you from?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
There are many posts on this subject. Chococar has probably the most. It also depends on your leg vs. torso length. A different seat can work wonders.

·
Registered
214 Posts
6'2", 200 lbs, and 34 ' inseam, 42 long jacket (to expand on DRAGON's data set!) and quite comfy for hours on end. Rarely too close for everse, steering wheel and right hand, but as stated before whole thing is just too much fun to let little things like that be a hassle.

I strongly suggest you try one out for a test drive before you decide, bearing in mind that they are dangerous--once in, you never get out.

·
Registered
287 Posts
6'4", 215lbs, 36" inseam-I installed Sector 111 tall rails not so much for headroom, but for improved outward vision. The top windshield frame was dead ahead-a real issue at stop lights. After the mod, it's incredibly comfortable.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
More legroom than my Tundra. I loved the "legs straight out" feeling. But my helmet tapped the tent poles of my soft top. So I put in the TALLrails are Seat Rails for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111. Head clearance is now great. But my left knee is close to the steering column and the legs out feeling is gone. Don't notice it while driving though.
Oh yeah, I'm only 6'1" 195. I've had a passenger 6'7", another about 320lbs. I don't think either could drive her though.
If you are thinking track car, definitely try one on with a helmet.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
6'2", 200 lbs, and 34 ' inseam, 42 long jacket (to expand on DRAGON's data set!) and quite comfy for hours on end. Rarely too close for everse, steering wheel and right hand, but as stated before whole thing is just too much fun to let little things like that be a hassle.

I strongly suggest you try one out for a test drive before you decide, bearing in mind that they are dangerous--once in, you never get out.
Hahaha, same jacket size. I must be your slightly skinnier evil twin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
6'4".....200....size 15-16 feet...38 inseam but I hate the idea of highwaters when I sit so 37 would be more realistic...my knee has to move for reverse....I have plenty of head room I'd say 2-3 inches.....once I am inside, I am very comfortable even if I might not "look like it" to others. Besides it's totally worth it :D I'm in the testing phase and thus far my other car will be for sale soon and the Elise will be the daily.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
God I'm fat:wallbang: 6'4, around 245, 36" waist and I fit fine, just take off the sunvisor. There's a bunch of posts on here on this topic.

·
Registered
215 Posts
6'2" 215# 36" inseam here and I have no problem with either the Elise or Exige. I do notice at the ens of a track day that my helmet does have a mark on the top of it from rubbing the inisde of the roof of the Exige. I love the amount of leg room and seating position in these cars almost like they designed the car around me.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
6' 4 1/2" 215#, 35" waist, 35" inseam. No problems in stock config. w/ visors removed.

For the track, to accomodate a helmet, I added Sector's seat lowering kit for about an extra inch of headroom, but gave up legroom in the process - it rakes the seatback further back, which rakes the front of the seat slightly up and forward. I also replaced the stock roof with a CF one wich gave me another 1/2 to 1".

I can now fit in the Exige (roof on) with a helmet and about 1/2" to spare.

Also, in the Elise, replacing the Hummer-sized mirror with a micro-mirror is a MUST. I actually found it dangerous to drive with the stock mirror as it blocked a significant portion of my right-forward vision.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
As others have said, lot's of posts out there with great info, but nothing beats just going for a good test drive.

I drive my Elise pretty much every day, but I had to remove the sun visors, replace the HUGE rear view mirror with a micro mirror and recut the hard top header trim piece. I tried the DownLow seat rails from Sector111, but while they gave me more head room, they took too much leg room. With either top on, I cannot fit comfortably or safely with my helmet on. I am 6' 6", currently about 260 lbs (was about 280 - 285 when I bought it), have a 38" waist and about a 34/35" inseam.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I am 6' 6", currently about 260 lbs (was about 280 - 285 when I bought it), have a 38" waist and about a 34/35" inseam.
holy ****, you have to be tallest person to drive an elise. Also, it must be great to see you get out of the car and stand up *hint..video..hint* :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm 6'3" 230lb, no problem at all. I am actually quite comfortable in the car. The stock rear view mirror will get annoying as hell on occasion, though. A hard top provides a little extra clearance than the rag, but either way I can sit in the car with a helmet.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
6'4 185
Do it!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
You will fit, if you want to.

In addition to the comments from others, note that you can move the pedals forward about 3" and reposition the shifter forward a bit.

Also, PM sent on the seats.

Thanks,

Joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts