The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing a turbo kit on a friends' Lancer. His custom exhaust didn't include any cats, and his car REEKS! Every time he pulls up to a group of people someone always asks why his car smells so bad.

I've been thinking about going catless in my Elise for a while now, but I don't want it to smell as bad as his or be super obvious to every car I pass.

My question is: How bad does a catless Lotus smell, if at all?

Sorry if this has already been asked, I couldn't find anything.

TIA.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
For a second I thought this was going to be a post about a girlfriend who had a cat, insisted in moving in and keeping the cat, so on and so forth. Whew....

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The smell of unburned gas; it is a social thing. To the people in this group who were children of the 60's (the days before the catalytic converter), we associate this smell with exciting Saturday nights and racing on the strip. The smell makes me smile. We associate the smell with high speeds and sweaty palms; the giggling girl next to us with the wide open eyes (and the excitement which followed when the engine was shut off). To those who had the misfortune to be born later, it is simply a "strange and unpleasant" smell. Smells are the most evocative of our senses; smells have the power to trigger memories of triumphs and tragedies of our past. For me, the scent is forever linked with the roar of engines, raw speed, adrenaline, triumph and sex. The smell of a gasser car with no Cat gives me a far-away wistful smile. (Queue the Bob Seger song "Night Moves").

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Doen't that happen when your mixture is way too rich?
it was rich not way too rich otherwise you would see some bigger flames. The new owner had it tuned to balance it. I prefered to shoot flames to keep the tail gaiters away. people would drop back about a 1/8 mile as soon as they see a flame. I miss it :(

·
Registered
548 Posts
I don't think it smells that bad... then again, all the cars I've owned have been catless haha

·
Registered
198 Posts
It is noticable, but I would not say it is a super strong smell.

·
Registered
359 Posts
my past subaru was catless, you can defiantly smell the fumes a bit more but never bothered me, sucks for the people behind me though

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Interesting. Did realize de-cating would result in a smell. Is this like the rotten egg smell?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Interesting. Did realize de-cating would result in a smell. Is this like the rotten egg smell?
No, not a sulphur-like smell.

Smells like unburned fuel. I don't consider it a strong smell, but perhaps I'm used to it. Maybe more noticeable at startup.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I thought it was pointless without mods or tuning after removal? Is there any benefit that has been documented on a stock engine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Running 110 in mine I think it smells good.. And the benefit is less weight and it saves your cat from unnecessary abuse while autocrossing

·
Registered
548 Posts
I thought it was pointless without mods or tuning after removal? Is there any benefit that has been documented on a stock engine.
I figured since the exige is "boosted" I went catless since I figured I'd see some (but not much) gain with the custom koldfire tune. Saved weight over stock anyway. Someone was talking about cat blocking up, etc. and I didn't want to deal with that down the road.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have one with decat, no smell, just louder.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts