The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a '69 Plus 2. On our forum, a US based member is trying to do a common mod to our fuel filler system. I am curious to find out if the Europa fuel filler neck and gas cap assembly might make the job easier for him.

In the Plus 2, the fuel filler uses, I believe, 2 1/4" rubber 90 degree elbow. Not sure, but from looking around, I think the Europa is 2"? Can someone confirm?

The issue with venting the Plus 2 tank for filling is a common problem. The rubber elbow joins to the fuel tank half way up, so in stock form the tank is vented over the roof section with two hoses. These commonly fail, and require removing the headline and rear glass to repair to stock. The mod involves venting back to the fuel filler neck.

Does the Europa filler neck have a small diameter threaded take off on the fuel filler neck?

I have done the mod to my car, but unfortunately the Spyder modded Plus 2 2 1/4" fuel filler necks are presently NLA. Was trying to see if a Europa neck would work, and if so, where to find one with a threaded take-off. looking at the parts drawings, it may be we need only the necks from cars equipped with the post 1971 Federal carbon filter vapour recovery system.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for length.

Stu

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would guess the TC fuel filler necks are the ones you're interested in. I think the filler is probably very similar to that on the +2. If you go here (Europa TC/TCS Parts Manual -- Section LA) you can see the filler neck is part #7. I think the OD is 2" but could be 2 1/4". Unfortunately mine are covered up and I couldn't measure it directly. There is a bib (not a threaded fitting) for a small tube for venting gas fumes to a charcoal canister (long gone on my car), but you should be able to route that tube anywhere you want.

I hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts