The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you buy an Elise (new or used) if it was being sold to you today at MSPR?

The reason I ask is because I've seen some thread like "The Elise that won't Sell" or "First Non-List Car Sold at MSPR." So I'm thinking, if the bubble has really burst, then there shouldn't be so many people still waiting on the list. Scottsdale said their list was still in the 100s, and assuming 1/2 (50) are speculators who are on other lists, that still leaves 50 other people waiting for their cars.

And, since people are waiting for their cars, there must be a strong demand. So, I'm trying to figure out why waiters aren't jumping on cars (new or used) that are selling at MSRP or slightly over.

My answer: I was close enough to wait. And if my delivery was a year away, I'd probably have gotten something else and picked up an Elise in two years.

·
Registered
2005 Ardent Red Elise
297 Posts
Simple answer here: those that have become available at MSRP have not had the right specs; moreover, at this point I would not drive my Elise until the spring, when mine should arrive, and I plan to stick with the dealer holding my deposit (which has earned my respect). Biggest concern, however, is that I do not get stuck with a jump in MSRP between now and receipt of my car.:eek:

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Agreed that a lot of it is the car not meeting the specs.

I also think that for a lot of people, they enjoy the entire buying experience. Even for all of it's hassle and problems... it is like giving birth. A process that you go through.

Get on the waiting list, place deposit. Select colors and options. Place order. Wait. Get VIN. Wait. Get note that car is on the water. Wait. Get note that car is in port. Wait. Call from dealer that car is ready to get picked up. Walk in and get keys. Remove stickers from windows. Your new car. One that was made for you on an order sheet with your name on it.

Also, some people may not feel ready to jump on a car now. They might have to work out other cars they own, finances, etc. They were planning on getting a car some months down the road.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
If I were offered a car at msrp right now, even if it met my specs exactly, I wouldn't buy it for two simple reasons: It's the winter here, and I don't have the cash quite yet as I've been planning on the purchase coming at a specific timeframe.

Come spring things will heat up a bit again, but over-msrp premiums only last so long for any car.

That's my take on it.

--Josh

·
Old Dude
2005 Lotus Elise touring, hard top, Starshield
1,326 Posts
Yeah, I'd take one - but it has to be my spec, otherwise, I'll wait. I'd have to work something out with MAG since my $2500 "deposit" is a "down payment" on my MSRP contract that is supposedly non-refundable (I'm sure my attorney or I could work that out, if necessary since they haven't ordered a car from the factory yet) BUT, it's academic, because it is highly unlikely that there will be my spec available and it's worth waiting for exactly what I want.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm not jumping on any of the currently available MSRP cars for a few reasons. First, none have been in the specification I'm looking for (ST/Biscuit/HT/LSS/Touring). Second, I'm close to getting a car in Feb/March. Third, it's winter here in Pennsylvania, so I won't be able to drive it until March/April. Fourth, I've already got deposits down for MSRP. Fifth, I don't want to pay shipping. Sixth, the car the Elise will be replacing goes off lease in February, allowing a nice financial transition from one car to the other.

Had a correctly precified car been available in September, I would have paid a small premium to have the car for a warm month or two, but not the $5-10k premiums at that time. Now, in December, I see no reason to pay any premium. And I'd be surprised if premiums come back to the northeast in the spring/ summer, as there will be so many cars available by then. There are 12 cars on e-bay right now, with few getting any action. The dealers outside of CA (with their temporary shortage of cars), won't be able to maintain prices for long.

Chris

·
Registered
869 Posts
I would have purchased any ardent red car at msrp all summer but its winter now. I plan on getting my car in the spring (keep your fingers crossed) so it just works out timewise to wait for the car I ordered.

I would have traveled almost anywhere in the us to drive it to upstate ny and make a fun roadtrip out of the experience.

If my car does not show by april then i would probably pay a premium @1k to just end the whole fun fun fun buying a lotus experience.

The worst is the people who ask when are you getting that car? Didn't you order that a long time ago?

Just rubbing salt in the wounds ouch!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If I was offered a non-touring, hard top car at MSRP, I'd probably take it regardless of other options (assuming that its not aztec bronze).

However I'm not quite to the point of actually calling dealers to see what they have. (With the exception of calling my dealer to see what car they don't have.)

·
Registered
724 Posts
im way to close to be jumping on to another deal. but if i still had months to wait i sure would consider it

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
1) I feel somewhat ethically committed to SVAG. I know I can back out of the deposits and still be financially OK, but I did sign some paperwork, and even in this day and age, that should stand for something.

2) Even though we don't have snow in SF, we do have significant rain (like right now), and I can cope with not having the Elise duirng this time of year. The plan has always been to drive the Elise sparingly during the winter.

3) I don't want to pay any extra for shipping costs, and from now through Feb, I won't have any time to do even a 3-4 day trip to go grab a different car myself. (Unless a car was waiting for me in Las Vegas during CES!)

4) I just want to see the damn wait through. If I hadn't already "ordered," I could see cutting bait. But now I want to see this through the end. It's become a matter of principle, a test of will.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If I could pick up the car today at MSRP I would. The problem is no cars at all near me, and no car I can find anywhere that fits the loose collection of specs I want.

1 SY Black Tour
2 AR Biscuit Tour
3 CO Black Tour

No LSS. Hardtop I don't care. Don't want one but I'll take it
if I need to.

If I've waited this long, I'm not going to takea car outside my area of options interest AND pay $1500 to ship it from snow country.

Steve

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I would take one early as well but I think I'm in the home stretch now (although I don't have a VIN # yet). Plus I'd have to get my deposit back plus credit for my old car which I traded on the Elise,
plus it would have to have the right specs of course. Lot of what-ifs.

·
Registered
357 Posts
ditto what everyone else says...if cars drop below MSRP then it might become a tougher decision...at least for those of us who are stretching a bit financially...

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your responses. So, from what I can tell, the reasons not to buy an available new or used car now are:

1. Seasons changes;
2. Unattractives options or color;
3. Financial preparation or not yet time;
4. Arrival is just coming soon;
5. Don't want to incurring shipping chargers;
6. Dealer loyalty;
7. Deposit issues.

I just wanted to find out if issues like it's too small, too spartan, not safe, better alternatives, etc. were the reason people weren't buying the Elise.

When you see things like "the Elise that won't sell," you can get the impression that no one wants an Elise anymore and soon dealers will start discounting.

But based on the few responses, I think the demand for the car is still there but there are just other reason (seasonal demand being the main one) for available cars not to be sold.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
To give you another data point, I am waiting because it is winter here, my car is coming soon, and I am not quite financially ready to accept her. I also feel obligated to purchase my car from AutoEurope. They've treated me extremely well and I feel good about buying the car from true enthusiasts.
Now that I think about it, my order is in and my deposit is now non-refundable. So that's another impetus to stick with the car I ordered.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
For me, it'd come down to getting the exact spec I'd been waiting for. Also, I feel like I'm so close, I've been waiting soooo long, I might as well follow this thing through to conclusion (dance with the girl you brung and all that...:p )

·
Registered
92 Posts
My big concern for waiting for my MSRP car from the dealer is that I have no idea what MSRP will be when I finally get my car. The way the dollar is going I could forsee MSRP increasing significantly over the next 1-2 years. Picking up a car that meets my specs at today's MSRP would be a prudent move.

Secondly I am concerned that even though I have a relatively low number (47), because of the grossly unbalanced allocation of cars to dealers, that I may not get the current model. I don't care for the spy photos of the next series Elise. I want the current body design and the only way I may get one is to not wait till my number comes up but pick up one now.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would probably buy immediately if I found a car with my specs (BRP, LSS, StarShield, nothing else). I don't have as much saved as I would like, but I fear a price increase is nearly certain before I get my car. I would consider buying a car with a hardtop if it became available, if only because I have a chance to sell it and the price increase may negate any "savings" from not getting it.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
If anyone knows of a yellow car, no touring, no sports, with a hardtop - i'd get it before x-mass!

...it hasn't started snowing yet!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts