The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, folks,

I've got a spiffy new set of Hawk HT-10's and was at Watkins Glen and tried to install the fronts. I opened up the calipers by removing the pins and spring, opened up the brake fluid reservoir, and gently pried open the caliper. I tried dropping in the HT-10's and it would have been fine except for a notch on the outside of the backing plate. See photo. I asked the vendor (Gary, Lotus Brakes - good guy) and he said this is how they've all been and they should fit. Is it me or should the backing plate be completely flat? I have Pagid Blues and the backing plate on those was flat w/no protruding notch. Luckily, I had enough pad for 2 days at the Glen but I really need to change pads now. Any advice would be most welcome from those who have installed these.

Wendy

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hm, no one has run into this issue with the Hawk-10s?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Mine were like that, so was Brent's...I think he just ground it down, I believe DRS did the same on mine too.

Oh and they are amazing

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for letting me know. I don't have much of a machine shop to grind them in. I'll think about keeping these or doing Pagid RS14 (blacks). But you say they are amazing, and that's pretty compelling..hm. Do you use them at all on the street or should I plan on swapping to street pads when I'm not at the track?

Wendy

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I use them street/track...couple stops at a light and they are fine on the street - incredible release and modulation at the track and the grip is crazy

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Finally ran into this issue when I installed my ULTRAdiscs and HT-10s...

I just put the pads in a vise and spent 30 seconds each filing down the "dimple". I wonder if that's a locating pin for a different set of calipers...

As a bonus, the front pads are pre-chamfered... I've only driven 5 miles on them so far, but I think I'm going to like them, so far they're silent. I'm looking forward to seeing how much grip they've got at the next LCS event...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Finally ran into this issue when I installed my ULTRAdiscs and HT-10s...

I just put the pads in a vise and spent 30 seconds each filing down the "dimple". I wonder if that's a locating pin for a different set of calipers...

As a bonus, the front pads are pre-chamfered... I've only driven 5 miles on them so far, but I think I'm going to like them, so far they're silent. I'm looking forward to seeing how much grip they've got at the next LCS event...
I was warned by the seller that I may have to remove/file/cut off the dimple. I think it's safe to say that you should EXPECT to have to do this.

Although it's no fairly easy to do this, it is my opinion that if brake pads are going to be advertised for the Lotus Elise/Exige, the it should FIT the Lotus Elise/Exige without modifications.

What if Hawk were to release a bad batch of brake pads such that when it reaches a certain temperature, it disintegrates. Legally, in addition to denying liability because it is a "race pad" for track usage, Hawk could also say that the customer modified the brake pads, therefore they take no liability whatsoever.

Am I the only person who feels this way?

Anyways, for now, I guess I'll enjoy my HT10s.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I was warned by the seller that I may have to remove/file/cut off the dimple. I think it's safe to say that you should EXPECT to have to do this.

Although it's no "big deal" to do this, it is my opinion that if brake pads are going to be advertised for the Lotus Elise/Exige, the it should FIT the Lotus Elise/Exige without modifications.

What if Hawk were to release a bad batch of brake pads such that when it reaches a certain temperature, it disintegrates. Legally, in addition to denying liability because it is a "race pad" for track usage, Hawk could also say that the customer modified the brake pads, therefore they take no liability whatsoever.

Am I the only person who feels this way?
I think you make a reasonable point... if nothing else other than pure curiosity, I'd like to know why Hawk put that dimple there.

A few months ago, I attended a technical seminar at Sector111 given by a Hawk Performance rep... if I knew about this issue then, I would definitely have asked him for an explanation...

·
Registered
606 Posts
That's the post the squeal tang attaches to in a "stock" type application. I think the reason the pads fits in the "stoack" applications where the tang is used is because the installation of the tang on to the backing plate by the manufacturer requires the post to be peened down to retain the tang. In the case of the HT-10's, no squealer, so the post on the backing plate is standing tall.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
That's the post the squeal tang attaches to in a "stock" type application. I think the reason the pads fits in the "stoack" applications where the tang is used is because the installation of the tang on to the backing plate by the manufacturer requires the post to be peened down to retain the tang. In the case of the HT-10's, no squealer, so the post on the backing plate is standing tall.
I think that's the best answer.

Ferodo pads have the post for the squealer tang well - but it sits a bit less tall on the pad. The Pagid Yellow's don't have it at all.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I don't know if this is valid. If you put the shims on, there is no hole in the shims for the post to slide into. The shims would therefore rest unevenly on the backside of the backing plate.

Unless you are saying that the HT10s are intended to be installed w/o the use of shims at all, even though Lotus brake pads uses shims in stock application.

The Pagids don't have it because there shouldn't be a post so that the shims can lay evenly on the surface on the backing plate.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,350 Posts
We've been grinding them off as well. All current and future stock will be ready to drop in.

We just installed a set on our Elise yesterday. I need to go bed them in today.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
We are now offering the HT-10 pads with the pin already filed off for those doing the installs themselves.

-G
You should have done this in the first place instead of telling me originally that I "may" have to grind it off when in fact, it is pretty much a necessity for correct fitment and proper operation coming from an engineering standpoint.

I'm glad vendors are finally doing this.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,350 Posts
We've been running these pads on our Elise. They are an awesome performance pad. The car stops amazingly well. We were running RS4-2 before. These are far more aggressive with excellent feel and modulation. They do make noise and generate a fair amount of dust. I like the ease of bedding with these. They will be excellent on track. I've tested quite a few different pads and these are one of my favorites. :up:

Come to our shop if you want to check them out and test drive them in our Elise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello -

We are also looking to have the backing plate replaced with a version that does not have the nib so we can eliminate the issue across the board. It turns out we orignally had the flat plate and our supplier changed on us without real notice. I'm not sure when the change was made but hopefully we can get it fixed shortly.

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
You should have done this in the first place instead of telling me originally that I "may" have to grind it off when in fact, it is pretty much a necessity for correct fitment and proper operation coming from an engineering standpoint.

I'm glad vendors are finally doing this.
As confirmed by Hawk above:

QUOTE:
It turns out we orignally had the flat plate and our supplier changed on us without real notice.

This is why there was a 'may' and not 'have to'.

-G

1 - 17 of 17 Posts