The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - new hear. I've been a lurker for a long time - and recently joined. I currently own a near mint S2000. While I do love the S2000, I've been toying with the idea of moving to an Elise... I really like the raw simplicity of the Elise.

Anyway - odd first post here- but you all seem like great people so I thought I'd ask here.

I bought a 4 post lift from Greg Smith Equip about a year ago (not sure what I did w/o it).

My question is relates to its operation. After the lift has been resting on its locks for a day or more (usually while raised holding the S2000), when I go to raise it off the locks to lower it, the pump needs to run for a good 15-20 seconds before it pushes enough fluid into the cylinder to begin moving the piston and ramps. Is this normal? Seems like there would be a check valve somewhere that would stop all the fluid from escaping the cylinder.

This depressurization does seem to take a a while because if I use it in to go up and down within a short period of time - its pretty much starts moving the ramps immediately.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the cables just slack and the 10-15 seconds is take in the slack before it begins to raise off the safety locks?
Its only at the very end of the 15-20 second period that they begin to tighten up- and once they start to tighten, the lift almost immediately begins to rise off the locks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That is not normal in my experience. I had a Titan SUV from AClifts.com , and it would raise up after about 2 seconds running the pump just to pull the slack out of the cables. Sounds like a leaky internal thing in the hydraulics to me.

:)
BT

·
Registered
412 Posts
After the lift has been resting on its locks for a day or more (usually while raised holding the S2000), when I go to raise it off the locks to lower it, the pump needs to run for a good 15-20 seconds before it pushes enough fluid into the cylinder to begin moving the piston and ramps.
I have had my 4 post Atlas lift from Greg Smith for a little more than a year. I just tested a few minutes ago... it starts to move after 4 seconds.

:shrug:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I'd try to make sure there's no air in it. Run it all the way up and down a couple of times without a car on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts