The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Elise for just under a year now and I've noticed that the coolant level is constantly dropping. I have an all aluminium (Eliseparts I think) radiator from a previous owner.

When I top off it will very quickly drop down to about a quarter inch below the min line and then stay there for a long time, or almost unnoticeably keep dropping. I forgot to watch it for a while and once it did drop far enough to suck some air into the system on a hard turn.

I've never seen coolant dripping and only smelled it in the vents once right after I filled it, I read somewhere that that can happen when it vents? There is no coolant sitting under the right indicator and I'm scared to check the left because I know it will break, just like the right one did :(

Anyway is this normal at all? Or should I start assuming one of the tubes or fittings is leaking?

·
Registered
420 Posts
what temp to you typically run at? (oem thermostat?)

best case, you have air in your system and it is slowly being bled out of the system causing a slow decrease in coolant level.
worst case you have a leak in you head that will most likely cost a down payment on a house to fix... (midwest house, not los Angeles house :p )

check your oil to see if there is any coolant in the oil...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I run cold. Typically around 170 on a 70-80 degree day. Ive only seen it get to 190 twice while driving on 105 degree days. Where does it normally leak aside from turn Indicators?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts