The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello folks. i came across a video and wanted to ask whether this crash was caused by braknig/upshift on the corner? ie is this handling quirk specific to rear engined cars? thx

YouTube - Crash lotus

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
The part just before the wreck is far too short to figure it out, he's already sliding.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
You can hear the engine note decreasing as he spins.

I am guessing too fast in and then lift...:eek::tadts:

·
Registered
93 Posts
All cars do that.
It's, "Oh crap, too fast. I am taking foot of gas!"
Weight transfers to front and oversteer.

·
Registered
459 Posts
In the first frame, the car isn't sliding yet, but it looks like classic lift off oversteer to me. Little too hot, with a really bad line too.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
I don't know what the rest of the turn looks like. But if he wants to take the apex of that turn he's on the wrong side of the road. It looks like some kind of time trial so I assume the road is closed.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Apex is too early (may have not had a choice).
Too hot for that line.
Lifted. *May* have used the brakes too.

At the point the back end started getting loose...and its a very fast thing, he should have applied MORE throttle.

Not sure why the girl is laughing.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I don't know what the rest of the turn looks like. But if he wants to take the apex of that turn he's on the wrong side of the road. It looks like some kind of time trial so I assume the road is closed.
Assuming it is a closed road and a time trial, he is on the wrong side of the road for the proper line through the apex of the turn. However, in this case had he been on the proper line, he would have just been in the trees a wee bit sooner. He was simply carrying too much speed into the turn.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
TADTS

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I'd say lift-throttle oversteer. From what I know, the S1 Elises were more prone to spinning in such a situation than the S2.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Apex is too early (may have not had a choice).
Too hot for that line.
Lifted. *May* have used the brakes too.

At the point the back end started getting loose...and its a very fast thing, he should have applied MORE throttle.

Not sure why the girl is laughing.
He had the steering wheel turned toward sliding direction, but I think even if he had applied more throttle, that wouldn't be enough to keep the car on the road. The exit is simply not wide enough for that speed.

And I think they are all friends and maybe the driver wanted to prove his friends that he can go into that corner at certain high speed, but he failed.

Here is what they said:
Camera Operator: " I have got all in the video camera". The car slide and hit the side of the road but stay stationary over the shoulder. The girl laughted.
" The car is toast " camera man added.
Another guy call the driver by name and said:" Hey! it's over.. the car is toasted" something like that. :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts