The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove the Elise at Criswell. In the neutral position, the shifter angled to the right instead of straight up. I don't remember the Euro car I tested doing this. Anyone know whats up?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
That's the way mine is. I suspect that it has to do with the 6 speed, and the four instead of the usual three shift "plains". It really isn't a big deal, and in just a few miles it becomes natural.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
That's correct, I think the shifter is set up this way to avoid interference issues for those with longer legs (shifter could crowd the area around right knee/right hand/steering wheel).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mikester said:
That's correct, I think the shifter is set up this way to avoid interference issues for those with longer legs (shifter could crowd the area around right knee/right hand/steering wheel).
I'd actually guess it has something to do with the shift linkage, being mechanical (not me, the shift linkage). Probably not set up that way to avoid interference.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Jon said:
Probably not set up that way to avoid interference.
The shift linkage could be built so that it could sit at any angle. But in this case, if the shifter was straight up in neutral, then you would have to move your knee out of the way to put it in reverse. And there's not much room to move your knee, because it will hit the other knee, which in turn would hit the chassis side rail. Besides, if you moved your knees out of the way, it would be hard to work the gas and clutch.

No, I think the shifter is positioned where it is for ergonomic reasons - that and it has to accommodate a wider side-side range of motion because of the six speed...

·
Registered
542 Posts
in my test drive, i noticed that too. but at 5'3" i wouldn't have had an issue if neutral was standing straight up! (i had no problem getting in or out!)

drive safe, but enjoy yours! we're still wainting!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
The shifter position is perfect once oyu're driving. The passenger may not like it, but tough bananas. This car was built for the driver!!!:D

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
According to the manual, the shifter in neutral is spring loaded to sit in the shifting plane in between 3rd and 4th gears. The whole shifter is slanted towards the passenger and forward but I personally like the way it sits, it gives my 6'4" body a little more room.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So did this to compensate for fat Americans? The pre-111R cars didn't do this as far as I know.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Jon said:
The pre-111R cars didn't do this as far as I know.
Pre-111R cars didn't have the six speed...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts