Brake Fluid?
clutch fluid?

I am changing all fluids..

thanks!
Jason

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Not sure about the 10W-40 for the Esprit engine...

My 88-92 and 93-V8 manuals call for 20W-50 or 15W-50 depending on temperature for the Esprit 4cyl 910 engine....

I have used Mobil 1 15W-50 for years. Will change to 20W-50 for the track next summer. The tappet noise was louder with 20W-50 in the winter, so I switched to the 15W-50, and it sounded better.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Not sure about the 10W-40 for the Esprit engine...

My 88-92 and 93-V8 manuals call for 20W-50 or 15W-50 depending on temperature for the Esprit 4cyl 910 engine....

I have used Mobil 1 15W-50 for years. Will change to 20W-50 for the track next summer. The tappet noise was louder with 20W-50 in the winter, so I switched to the 15W-50, and it sounded better.
Travis - you're correct, and you you would know best... But I was thinking winter in colorado is probably cold.
Having tappet noise when cold indicate that the oil is not flowing, so a 0-30 or a 10w40 might be better in winter???

This can be used with any oil Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motor Oil for Racing - Engine Oil Break-In Additive

Changing the brake fluid occasionally is useful.
When it is water laden it is important to change it. This is cheaper than changing it twice a year.
Brake Fluid Tester : Amazon.com : Automotive
And Colorado is probably less humid than some areas.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
You run your Esprit in the winter? I suppose Colorado is a lot milder than MN. Do you think wider swings in temp affect the cyclic life of the manifold or doesn't it matter much. I always suspected that the manifold would not last as long if you used the Esprit during winter a lot. I always wanted to know when exactly people noticed the manifold cracking from people in different parts of the country warmer/milder as opposed to really colder areas.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
My manifold is fine. I often drive it through the winter since we get a lot of nice days, and they don't use salt here.

I also drive in the rain, even a few times in pretty deep water, 4-6".

It tends to overboost in temps below 30 or 20F, so you have to either reset the ECU for colder temps, or take it easy on the boost.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,098 Posts
Factory oil spec is 20W-50. With a synthetic it's OK to have a "lower" first number.

The Esprit's engine has generous clearances. That's why you need the 50 weight protection.

Unless you keep it outside :eek: and start it in sub-zero (F.) temps, you will be OK with 15W-50. Make sure it has enough ZDDP to protect the flat-tappets. (SM 0r SN oils might benefit from a ZDDP additive)

The synthetic oil minimizes the chance of coking in a hot turbo. :bow:

Lotus spec's 6000 mile oil changes on regular mineral ("dino") oil. Are you going to do more miles than that a year? If not just change it once a year preferably before you "put it to sleep" for a winter's rest.

+++++++++

When you are changing fluids, don't forget the clutch or cooling system. Don't add anything but Dex-Cool if that is what you have in your cooling system (factory fill from the GM era). That stuff doesn't play well with other types.:mad:

++++++

Lastly, don't forget to replace the blinker fluid.
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=22

I use ONLY the finest synthetic BF! Yearly, you need to flush it through your system by actuating the hazard flasher switch at least 12 times.

:UK:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts