The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday I had a chance to test drive a 2008 Audi TT which was front wheel drive and turbocharged. Obviously, I felt a lot of torque steering when on boost.

But the puzzling thing is, I asked on a TT forum if the 6 cyclinder Quattro version also had torque steer and some people response yes -not as much as the front wheel drive but it's still there.

So, my question for the STi, EVO, or any other 4 wheel drive owners is: Do you experience torque steer on your 4 wheel drive vehicle?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
i never experienced torque steer in my Evo. Mebbe some understeer, but that's very common on AWD cars.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I never had much of a torque-steer problem with my TT (which was over 300 lb-ft) and my brother doesn't with his A4 (~300 lb-ft). I will say that the steering feels differently than a rear-driver. The one thing with the TT is that it is primarily a front-driver until torque needs to be redistributed. Still, I never felt mine try to pull the wheel or want to stay turned under throttle.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
On Monday I had a chance to test drive a 2008 Audi TT which was front wheel drive and turbocharged. Obviously, I felt a lot of torque steering when on boost.

But the puzzling thing is, I asked on a TT forum if the 6 cyclinder Quattro version also had torque steer and some people response yes -not as much as the front wheel drive but it's still there.

So, my question for the STi, EVO, or any other 4 wheel drive owners is: Do you experience torque steer on your 4 wheel drive vehicle?
I have a 2004 Audi S4 Quattro and a 1996 Porsche 993 TT (AWD)... no torque steer at all on either car. They both feel more like rear wheel drive cars until taken close to the limit... then you can feel the difference, but still no torque steer (just a lot of grip, and a bit of understeer).

·
Registered
37 Posts
None. 2001 Audi S4 Avant.................

Note: Audi might use two types of AWD. I know the VW haldex system is different from the standard Audi AWD. I *think* the TT has this system, which is basically FWD until wheel slippage occurs..............

·
Registered
9,786 Posts

Note: Audi might use two types of AWD. I know the VW haldex system is different from the standard Audi AWD. I *think* the TT has this system, which is basically FWD until wheel slippage occurs..............
+1

The haldex system is used when the engine is transverse mounted, the standard Quattro when the engine is longitudinally mounted.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I think they are. The TT puts more power to the front under normal situations while the A5 puts more power to the rear. I'm not sure why they'd used two AWD systems.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I think they are. The TT puts more power to the front under normal situations while the A5 puts more power to the rear. I'm not sure why they'd used two AWD systems.
They do. I believe the why has to do with: 1) the platform and 2) the orientation of the engine. My brother's A4 (longitudinal - same for A5) has a 40/60 split, IIRC. As before, the TT (transverse) is primarily front drive and has an 85/15 split under normal conditions (although, I think the previous generation was 95/5). Audi of America > Glossary > Engine & Driveline > Haldex™ clutch

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Subaru likes to hype their AWD system for being 'symmetrical' - equal length halfshafts due to the right/left symmetry of the drivetrain. Makes sense that a transverse engine AWD system would be susceptible to torque steer.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
i never experienced torque steer in my Evo. Mebbe some understeer, but that's very common on AWD cars.
Oh ya, forgot to mention the evo has 50/50 torque distibution between the front/rear wheels at all times. Not sure how Audi's is setup on their Quattro cars.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
No torque steer in my '08 STI, '07 STI, '03 Evo, or '90 Carrera 4. I put it down to the equal-length driveshafts, like on a MINI.

·
Banned
874 Posts
ALL of my cars have 4x4 except for one with AWD (Merc) and the only time i get torque steer is when you accidentally turn on the 4x4 when there isn't any rough conditions like snow. You shouldn't be using 4x4 mode unless there is AT LEAST a couple of inches of snow or rain or w/e or else it'll mess up ur trans.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The only thing I notice on my '05 STi is that adding power thru a corner takes away the natural tenedncy of the car to understeer

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the insightful post but now I have a dumb question. Is there a difference between "AWD", "4x4", and "Four wheel drive"? I may have used the term indiscriminately when I started this thread.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Thanks for the insightful post but now I have a dumb question. Is there a difference between "AWD", "4x4", and "Four wheel drive"? I may have used the term indiscriminately when I started this thread.
There is... but generally even within one nomenclature (say AWD), each manufacturer will use different technology to drive all four wheels.

FWIW, the stereotypical distinctions are:

Four Wheel Drive... the most generic term, usually just indicates an ability to drive all four wheels in some way

4x4... usually describes a vehicle designed for (at least part time) off road use. Also it can usually be switched from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive electronically or mechanically... usually the torque split is mechanical (i.e. front/rear diff)

AWD... usually describes a vehicle with full time 4 wheel drive that's electronically able to shift power between the front and back wheels depending on driving conditions as determined by sensors, although there are some mechanical only AWD systems

Again, there are many exceptions to these classifications... it's always best to find out specifically how the vehicle you're interested in accomplishes "four wheel drive"

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for clearing that up! :)

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
If the TT is still using the same diffs they were years ago then it is a FWD car effectively until the tire slip then it transfers power so it is much more prone to torque steer.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The heart of an all wheel drive system is in the differentials. That's what differentiates the boys and the men...

·
Registered
912 Posts
Now do our cars torque steer? Since our engines and drivetrain are based off a front wheel drive car, the transverse mounted engine and if my memory serves me right unequal length cv shafts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts