The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please mention your hp and say if your engine is stock or has upgradend internals.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
292whp, stock, built at BOE. You need the clutch though. Also realize all the REV400 hp numbers peak at the upper end. And there is no boost under 3500 RPM. So, the "duty cycle" of the 292 hp on my car, is nearly non-existent. I use my supercharger, but not usually over 5500 rpm, it's a street car. My motor can handle WOT just fine, but I don't live there. It's too freakin' scary. Many times the s/c isn't even online because i am cruising below 3500 RPM, achieving stock mileage, but with more torque - because of the tune maybe. So , in my case, i have confidence my motor life will be stock motor life. The thing feels like factory. BTW - there are LOTS of REV400's out there installed on stock motors. Those cars generally get 305 ish to the wheels if they get a manifold and decat. I still have stock cat/ mani so my numbers are lower.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
312whp and all stock internals. I race mine monthly at Auto-x events and a couple high speed events yearly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just thinking about upgrading to REV400, but I am scared to blow the engine :confused:

·
Registered
216 Posts
350+ whp using the BOE built 9:1 built short block and one of Jim's heads...Tracked hard twice a month including Daytona which is a really hard track on the car due to the long high speed sections reaching 158+-...A few issues over the years and I have had this kit since its inception but the issues were not with the BOE 400 but other internal bits that failed along the way...Most related to the VVL/VVT and loosing oil pressure. Replaced the press caps at the ends of the rocker shafts with threaded set screws in lock tight, replace a broken rocker, replace a few CV boots....One of, if not the best upgrade to the car and Phil has always been great on the other end of the phone offering support from a distance!!! Once you learn how to drive the car the additional power turns it into the proper race car it should be...Learn the car first, then power it up!!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Paul for sharing! Lots of modifications you have there...

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I just had to replace my passenger side CV boot as well from my last Daytona outing. Daytona is hard on the car and tires.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just had to replace my passenger side CV boot as well from my last Daytona outing. Daytona is hard on the car and tires.
I'll be back at Daytona the day after the 24 hours . What were you running for tire pressures??? I always add a few pounds, you are right, the track is hard on the tires and the cars!!! But, the trip around Daytona is an experience not to be missed!!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
271hp... Rev 400, Eibach valve springs, PPE header, PPE sport cat, BOE ST-5 exhaust... That's it for power mods.

I'm pretty sure comparing HP numbers is useless because the variances of dyno readings. The car feels pretty fast but I'm definitely used to it and want more.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
271hp... Rev 400, Eibach valve springs, PPE header, PPE sport cat, BOE ST-5 exhaust... That's it for power mods.

I'm pretty sure comparing HP numbers is useless because the variances of dyno readings. The car feels pretty fast but I'm definitely used to it and want more.
Did you ask for a special map, because number seems low compared to others.
Greets.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Just rec'd an email today from a customer that just installed our front hex and smaller pulley... he's running a 9:1 motor that was built several years ago on stock cams, stock ports.... So short of the mahle 9:1 pistons, I'd call this a very basic build.

Obviously a dynojet pull here. The car is pretty much track driven only, so it gets a lot of abuse...

Red line is his latest setup. Still needs some tuning but at 341whp, she's no slouch! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
292whp, stock, built at BOE. You need the clutch though. Also realize all the REV400 hp numbers peak at the upper end. And there is no boost under 3500 RPM.
You should have boost at 3500. Under 3K maybe not, but that's why the "white" gauges had 0-3K all squished together because you were never supposed to be there :D

But 3-4 is your "meat" range when it comes to normal driving and I can easily pass people in 6th gear from about 50MPH and up. I do have a slightly smaller pulley, but it shouldn't be that big of a difference.

In fact, my biggest advice to people to getting a supercharger is for that 3-4K RPM band. It makes normal driving of the car SOOO much better.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
sure - but i thought some of that 3-4k improvement was coming from the tune - not so much the boost - torque is definitely up - so something is doing..uh....something. I love technical talk.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
350+ whp using the BOE built 9:1 built short block and one of Jim's heads...Tracked hard twice a month including Daytona which is a really hard track on the car due to the long high speed sections reaching 158+-...A few issues over the years and I have had this kit since its inception but the issues were not with the BOE 400 but other internal bits that failed along the way...Most related to the VVL/VVT and loosing oil pressure. Replaced the press caps at the ends of the rocker shafts with threaded set screws in lock tight, replace a broken rocker, replace a few CV boots....One of, if not the best upgrade to the car and Phil has always been great on the other end of the phone offering support from a distance!!! Once you learn how to drive the car the additional power turns it into the proper race car it should be...Learn the car first, then power it up!!!!
Wow!
Stock tranny?

Would be nice if people mentioned what they've done with transmission as well with their upgraded power.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
258 Posts
302 WHP on mine, daily driver, autox and track days. I have put about 35k miles on it since the Rev 400 install @ BOE. Stock internals and tranny. ACT XTSS Clutch kit.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I'll be back at Daytona the day after the 24 hours . What were you running for tire pressures??? I always add a few pounds, you are right, the track is hard on the tires and the cars!!! But, the trip around Daytona is an experience not to be missed!!!
I am running R888 and had 32F/35R on the driver side and 35F/38R on passenger. I also had the suspension side up for the passenger side 4 turns higher on both front and rear.

·
TRKLotus
19 Posts
312whp and all stock internals. I race mine monthly at Auto-x events and a couple high speed events yearly.
How is this still going for you? Sorry for the necro bump; but I am researching this platform and want to see how it handles, boosted on the track.

What type of rods and pistons are you using with the built short block?

302 WHP on mine, daily driver, autox and track days. I have put about 35k miles on it since the Rev 400 install @ BOE. Stock internals and tranny. ACT XTSS Clutch kit.
How has this setup been? Still running strong for you?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
FWIW, I ran the smallest pulley (15 PSI) on my stock internaled motor for almost a year. Car made 330hp. When the motor was torn down at BOE, they said it was in perfect shape. I did run leaded race gas though. It's not the power that will kill a stock motor, it's the detonation.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
How is this still going for you? Sorry for the necro bump; but I am researching this platform and want to see how it handles, boosted on the track.
It ran great for about 3 years then started having more oil blow by and then checked the compression. Cylinder 1 and 2 had low compression so ended up getting the block built by BoE.

·
TRKLotus
19 Posts
FWIW, I ran the smallest pulley (15 PSI) on my stock internaled motor for almost a year. Car made 330hp. When the motor was torn down at BOE, they said it was in perfect shape. I did run leaded race gas though. It's not the power that will kill a stock motor, it's the detonation.
Thanks for sharing, I wish there was an easy way to incorporate E85/FlexFuel into these cars, I could imagine that would help a lot to prevent detonation.

It ran great for about 3 years then started having more oil blow by and then checked the compression. Cylinder 1 and 2 had low compression so ended up getting the block built by BoE.
Ah I see, 3 years decently long time though. What's been done to the built block? From what I've seen it looks like pistons are fragile, how about the rods? And what about the heads?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts