The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Exige S. I'm upgrading the front calipers to AP Racing 4 pistons. (which I have, see picture below) I still need to order the 308mm rotors. Other than the rotors what else am I going to need that is not pictured. Are these plug and play with the stock mounting parts on the 2007's? How difficult is this job? Note: the pads are already in the calipers.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
You're going to have adapter mounts. They'll look like the ones in this picture that I took behind the rotor...

And you can just barely see how it attaches to the hub right here in this pic...

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Other than the bracket it's not that hard - other than replacing the lines (which you have to do). I replaced my lines when I had the front clam off, not sure you can somit with the clam in place.

- take off old caliper
- disconnect line (this will make a mess, get a drain pan ready)
- connect new line
- connect new caliper
- install new rotor
- mount new caliper to car
- bleed all brakes (there will be tons of air in the system)
- enjoy

Probably a 5 hour job for a first timer. There are lots of threads that will help, look for rotor swap and brake bleed threads - same procedures as that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Other than the bracket it's not that hard - other than replacing the lines (which you have to do). I replaced my lines when I had the front clam off, not sure you can somit with the clam in place.

- take off old caliper
- disconnect line (this will make a mess, get a drain pan ready)
- connect new line
- connect new caliper
- install new rotor
- mount new caliper to car
- bleed all brakes (there will be tons of air in the system)
- enjoy

Probably a 5 hour job for a first timer. There are lots of threads that will help, look for rotor swap and brake bleed threads - same procedures as that.
IMO it'd be REALLY difficult to do the lines with the clam on. Even with it off it's a pain.

·
3,201 Posts
IMO it'd be REALLY difficult to do the lines with the clam on. Even with it off it's a pain.
Honestly I'd have to agree - as MacieJR says even with my clam off it was a huge pain to get the wrench in there to take off the old lines and tighten the new ones...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was really hoping I could get around taking the clam off. Doesn't sound possible though. :shrug:

Looks like I need to order some parts and offer a friend lunch or dinner in return for some help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You don't need the adapters for the Lotus Sport AP calipers. You do need longer bolts that fix the caliper to the hub; I think the difference is 10-20mm IIRC from a few months ago.

You might want to go ahead and upgrade the rear lines to SS as well since you're opening the system. Getting the air out without a way to cycle the ABS is tedious. It took me a few times of driving and cycling them to get the air out. It wasn't until I drove it for a couple of hundred of miles and bled again that the pedal was back to normal (with a *slightly* longer stroke than the 2-pot calipers). Don't use expensive fluid until you're sure the system is good (unless you like to throw money away).

Even once you get the clam off, you'll need to enlarge the access hole for the passenger side line (unless the Exige differs from the Elise). A hard coolant hose goes right over it and you have no room to rotate a wrench. Less than a minute of of Dremeling takes care of it; some people are wary about doing that because it's part of the windshield frame, but it's such a small amount of material that it likely makes no difference

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
Absolutely NO need top remove Clam for front brake lines. Clam removal will give little to no extra room. Just remove the grills after removing the hood inserts that cover the brake reservoir. Just did my SS lines last week. Left side was EASY. Right side required a little more patience due to AC hose. Just put a few paper towels under the work site on the frame to absorb the drips. It is maybe an ounce. rears took like 10-15minutes each and Left front was Z~1/2 hour with removal of all esthetics parts first. Right side took half hour tops. Start to finish, took maybe 2 hours. Getting the last few bubbles out of the front calipers was the fun part.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Absolutely NO need top remove Clam for front brake lines. Clam removal will give little to no extra room. Just remove the grills after removing the hood inserts that cover the brake reservoir. Just did my SS lines last week. Left side was EASY. Right side required a little more patience due to AC hose. Just put a few paper towels under the work site on the frame to absorb the drips. It is maybe an ounce. rears took like 10-15minutes each and Left front was Z~1/2 hour with removal of all esthetics parts first. Right side took half hour tops. Start to finish, took maybe 2 hours. Getting the last few bubbles out of the front calipers was the fun part.
Was this on an Elise because the sector111 instructions say the clam needs removed on the Exige but not the Elise.

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
2005 Elise!!

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
Is there any way you could measure the piston diameters for me? They would be the same diameters on the left and right side of the caliper but they could different diameters top to bottom...thanks.

·
3,201 Posts
Absolutely NO need top remove Clam for front brake lines
Unless you drive an Exige - then it IS absolutely necessary...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts