The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an esprit S2 with VIN SCC079907CHH10404 (I attach two pictures)

The doubts I have are:
a) how is it possible that there are a 1982 Esprit S2? Didn't they start selling the Esprit S3 since 1981?
b) is the chassis galvanized?
c) the exterior of the machine seems to me to be an S3. How is it possible? Has a previous owner changed the exterior ?
d) I can't understand if the interior are the same of a Esprit S2 or the same of a Esprit S3
e) I have called 3 official Lotus Italian dealers, but nobody knows how to tell me the original engine number. I no longer know can help me about original engine number

Thank you a lot

Paolo

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,932 Posts
The website Esprit Fact file says it’s a rare 2.2. And a 1982 as well. If memory serves the 2.2 is galvanized but the older chassis without the rear upper link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks you a lot for the reply. So, it is realy possible that lotus has built a 1982 S2 chassis?
What do you think about the interiors? Are they a S2 interiors?

·
Registered
269 Posts
All of your questions would likely be answered by contacting Andy Graham, the archivist at Lotus, for a certificate of provenance. Will probably cost around €75 or so but worth it. Definitely not an S2 as they hadn’t gone to 17 digit VINs for that series.

https://www.lotuscars.com/certificate-provenance/

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It also has five lug wheels, the S1 & S2 had four, its always possible it has adapters to fit the after market wheels though.

·
Super Moderator
3,932 Posts
All of your questions would likely be answered by contacting Andy Graham, the archivist at Lotus, for a certificate of provenance. Will probably cost around €75 or so but worth it. Definitely not an S2 as they hadn’t gone to 17 digit VINs for that series.

https://www.lotuscars.com/certificate-provenance/

Andy Graham definitely the single source of truth. The Esprit fact file VIN tool based on rules, not actual production records. But useful for mainstream Esprit VIN decoding. Rare cars like S2.2 should be verified especially if a premium being paid.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
That's an odd one. The exterior, wheels and the interior (except the wing) looks like an S3. That said, according to the Service Manual/Parts List for an Esprit the VIN breaks down as follows:

SCC079907CHH10404

SCC - Lotus
079 - Esprit S2
907 - 2 Litre Motor
C - 1982 model year (I thought they stopped making the S2 and S2.2 in the first 1/2 of 1981??)
H - Plant - Hethel
H - Market - Export (hot) LHD
1 - Market (Engine) - Domestic

Since that car is in Italy (I presume from the post) I wonder if Lotus made some 2 Liter Esprits after the S3 was announced? Seems like I recall that the taxes for engine size above a 2 liter were prohibitively high back then which is why even Ferrari made a 2 liter 308 for the Italian market.

Let us know what you find out!

Roy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again guys,

Someone told me that there is an S3 but labelled an S2 for type approval/tax reasons.

I will try to understand if it is an S2 or S3 looking also the driveshaft type and looking for the galvanization.

Regarding to understand if the engine is the original one: I have read that in the S3 there should be a bar code label fixed to the bulkhead in the front luggage compartment that also shows the engine number. It's really like this? Do the S2 have a bar code label like that?

I have another question for you: bearing in mind that the motor has to be rectified and rebuild, how much can a machine be worth in these conditions? 7000 euros?

Thank you a lot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone told me that the car is S3 but labeled an S2 for type approval / tax reasons.

I will check the drive shafts to understand if it is an S2 or an S3.

Regarding to understand if the engine is the original one: I have read that in the S3 there should be a label fixed to the bulkhead in the front luggage compartment that also shows the engine number. It's really like this? Do the S2 have a label like that?

I have another question for you: bearing in mind that the motor has to be rectified and rebuild, how much can a machine be worth in these conditions? 7000 euros?

Thank you a lot

Paolo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I went to see the car.
As in previous posts, in the luggage compartment there is a label that also indicates the engine number and original paint. In addition, the official dealer Lotus Torino contacted me to tell me the original engine number (which corresponded to the plate on the machine).

The chassis seems galvanized (it has no rust) and seems to be just an S3.
The frame number seems to be the same of the label but it is not clearly legible, I do not know if it is the norm

Unfortunately I discovered that the engine (damaged) is not the original one. Indeed, the engine sold together with the machine has no serial number! We checked well. I believe it has been removed
To finish: the original color was L42 calypso red, not yellow.

Now I don't know what to do. In Italy the aspirated S3 are the least quoted among all the Esprits. Much less than a Turbo or an S2. The owner asks for 10000 euros.

In your opinion, does the non-original engine have a significant influence on the value of the machine?

Thanks a lot
Paolo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts