The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a Lotus and am contemplating a '05 Elise, an '07 Exige S and an '08 Elise SC. I test drove an '08 Elise SC today... my first time in a Lotus... and was thrilled. Cost is obviously a huge factor, but so is the fact that this will rarely be tracked and mostly used as a DD (so rear view visibility comes into play). BTW, please keep in mind I live in CA and don't want headaches when it comes to smogging the car. I've searched this forum for answers to a few questions I have... but the answers I found often conflicted. So, why not start a thread. Here they are:

1. Does the Gotham 265 tune make the '07 Exige S have approx 265 hp at the crank or at the rear wheels?

2. Is there a Dyno print out showing HP and Torque vs RPM that overlays the factory '07 Exige S and one with the Gotham 265 tune (preferably the same car)?

3. Where does one purchase the Gotham 265 tune?

4. How does this affect everyday driving? I ask as I live in Sacramento where it routinely gets well above 100' in the summer.

As you can see I'm kind of biased towards the '07 Exige S with the Gotham 265 tune. Partly because it's cost effective and partly because of the respect in this forum for CharlieX. Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
1. bhp / flywheel calculated with a 15% loss

2. http://www.goth.am/gotham_dyno.jpg

3. see my sig

4. it only modifies when you use the throttle above 68% so you shouldn't getting that sort of throttle input around town, temps stay around the same except when its over that input, more power, higher temps, if your a heavy track user i'd suggest the bigger roof, better cooling system, charge coolers etc.

cheers

·
Registered
392 Posts
Jagman, I would go with Charlie's Gotham. From what I understand, it definitely offers the most bang for the buck. Everyone who has purchased it ends up being quite happy.
I'll be getting mine this spring or summer.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have the Gotham tune on my 2007 Exige S. It is WAY better than the factory tune. A lot more power, smoother, doesn't stall (the stock tune stalled constantly). Get it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The '08 Elise SC I test drove had less than 100 miles on it so I had to keep the RPM under 4500. I could tell it was just begging for more spirited driving. It looks to me like the Gotham 265 essentially peforms the same until the cam change and then his work really shows what it's made of. I can only imagine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Gotham tune on my 2007 Exige S. It is WAY better than the factory tune. A lot more power, smoother, doesn't stall (the stock tune stalled constantly). Get it.
So it's more than just more power... good to know.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'm thrilled with mine.

A certified EFI tuner went thru the gotham work and said it was an excellent tune, and went on and on about how well mapped it was. He didnt have such praise for some other tunes he looked at for the lotus. Said that it's still a safe and reliable tune. this guy has been doing it for 30+ years and his input was vital in my decision. We dynod her and the numbers on his machine were in line with charlie's so no "bs" here at all.

i'm not an expert but i know whom to listen to.

the power is fabulous. on a 1935 lb car, it'll pull quite nicely!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks guys. The '08 Elise SC I test drove had less than 100 miles on it so I had to keep the RPM under 4500. I could tell it was just begging for more spirited driving. It looks to me like the Gotham 265 essentially performs the same until the cam change and then his work really shows what it's made of. I can only imagine.
Just to clarify, on the FI cars the "cam change" is more variable and is dependent on both engine load and rpm.
The Gotham tune seems to fatten the entire usable power curve all the way up to 8000 rpm. If you look at the dyno graph results it comes on strong at around 4200 rpm.
IMHO, what Charlie has done for our cars with his ECU flash/tune is amazing; thank you Charlie. :clap:

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
the best mod you could ever buy for your Exige S

1 - 9 of 9 Posts