The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been lurking on the forums for a while now and very interested in purchasing a elise. I live right by Silver Star Lotus in Thousand Oaks, and plan on getting the car there. The question is will they accept trade-in's and are they selling it for msrp? I plan on trading in my 03 Saleen N/a 281. How long will it take to get the car after I order it? Also I think im set on getting lazer blue, but is that going to be available for a limited time? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
depends

The answer to all of your questions depends on your dealer, and how he is handling orders and wait lines.

To actually get your car, you're looking at anywhere from a year to two years' wait, probably from the time you get in line. That is all speculation...could be longer, possibly a tad shorter, depending on Lotus and depending on your dealer's allocation and current line.

If you simply get in line, and not hook up with a dealer who is working around the list and selling cars at way over msrp, you likely have at least 6 months at dealers with larger allocations, 12 at smaller dealers, before you actually ORDER your car.

I became depositor # 62 at Rothrock in Philly in early July of this year, and was told 9 to 12 months before I'll actually be ordering the car, ie selecting color and options. 18 to 24 months before delivery...I'm actually expecting 30 months.

They'll take your deposit now and put you in line, and then they'll contact you months later to actually order/spec out your car.

Some are still doing msrp, seems like more and more are now $2K to $5K over msrp, and as has been posted here some are asking $10K to $20K over msrp.

When you place a deposit, some say it's refundable if you change your mind, others say it's non refundable. Later, when you actually order your car, most require an additional deposit, and again many of those say that at that point forward the deposits are NOT refundable if you change your mind.

Also, if you're looking at current msrp as your upper limit, there is credible speculation that cars next year will have an msrp a bit higher...speculation anywhere from a grand or two, to as high as $10K more. Again, all speculation and nobody can really say.

As far as trades, they're car dealers. Most take trades. You'll probably get raked over pretty good with your Saleen, you'd probably do better selling it yourself.

Now, if you really want one and can afford paying way over msrp, a little looking around could probably have you in a car by Labor Day. It'll cost you, though.

All of the above is MHO, no warranty express or implied. Probably the best source for your answers is that dealer you live close to.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Silver Star claims to have enough depositors to handle their expected allocation for the next two years (of course, their allocation is subject to change and some people could drop off the list over time). I'm not sure if they are committing to MSRP at this time.

They have a Saffron Yellow car (which was supposed to be their demo) sitting in the showroom which will be sold to the highest bidder in a month or so. I would suggest going down to take a look at it. I don't know if they will let you sit in it, but definitely don't expect to be test driving it. Reportedly they were offered $10,000 over list and refused the offer, so they seem to have great expectations. The car has the touring package, StarShield, non-LSS - they also may have the hard top, but the car is on display topless.

If you want a car at MSRP, I would suggest calling around and placing a few deposits at the most promising dealers (and not necessarily just in California). If you are willing to pay a premium, you might contact Symbolic in La Jolla as they might have some "extra" cars for sale.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I haven't dealt with Silver Star so can't say anything about them, but since you're in California, you owe it to yourself to contact each of the many Lotus dealers in this state to shop around. I recommend you find a dealer that you're comfortable working with and feel is honest and trustworthy. Someone who will take the time to talk to you.

You could buy from any CA dealer and have a relatively short drive home, and still have Silver Star service the car for you.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Yep, the best thing you can do is contact them, spend some time, visit them, and then do the same with as many others as possible. You are coming a bit late to the party, but as long as you're patient, no problem.

·
Registered
640 Posts
There have been a number of threads on Silver Star, and their lack of interest in Elise customers with deposits down. I would recommend going elsewhere in CA. I have not had much luck with them going back 3-4 yrs when I first contacted them about the Elise.

I have had much better success going elsewhere and will in fact receive my Elise from out of state later this week.

Two major draw backs with Silver Star:

1) Their main business is Jags & Mercs, and they sell a huge number of those (many over sticker). Lotus is an extremely small part of their business and therefore not a main source of revenue for them. Since they don't need to sell the Elise to stay in business I think that SS will keep the price way above MSRP longer than the rest of the country. Most of the other Lotus dealers are selling the Elise with other low volume exotics e.g. Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborgini etc. and therefore each sale is very important to them.

2) With you living near the dealer you should know how much wealth there is in this area. Look at the streets and freeways around here. Every second car is a BMW, Merc, Jag or Lexus. Silver Star will have no trouble selling any of their Elises at MSRP + $10K.

Go elsewhere, there a much better choices, and chances of getting MSRP

Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input guys, Ill visit some other dealers and if i cant get it for msrp, ill prob get a esprit.

·
Registered
327 Posts
efinirx7gt said:
Thanks for your input guys, Ill visit some other dealers and if i cant get it for msrp, ill prob get a esprit.

I'm going to buy a Carrera GT. If I can't get one for $5000, I'll buy a 914 instead.:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You could get an esprit for under the 90k sticker price, but it will still be way more than an Elise.

If you are serious about getting an Elise I'd probably recomend Galpin. They have a cap of 30 on their list at the moment... but when the cars flow they will lift the cap and you should be able to get hold of a car fairly quickly. (early 05?)

Steve

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Silver Star's yellow Esprit carries a price tag of $90,000+. I too am confused over the logic that it would be better to pay such a high MSRP for an Esprit rather than $60K for an Elise at the premium price. Plus they are such totally different cars.

You lost me. :confused:

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Who says he is talking about a new Esprit?

He can buy a used Esprit in excellent condition for the same price as the Elise.

·
Registered
670 Posts
For your Lotus purchase wait time you should come up with a hobby to fill in the time.

Learning to build jet fighters, or knit blimp covers would be good choices.

Steve

·
Registered
488 Posts
what do yu want?

Esprit? Elise? They are VERY different cars. They're both great cars, but very different.

What do you want in your car?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
efinirx7gt said:
Im talking about a used 2000-01 esprit, they go for around 50k..
Silver Star has a silver Esprit, I believe it is used (2002??), and it's been there more than one year (as has the yellow one). I bet they might dicker on the price. Personally, if I was interested in that type of car, I would wait to see what Lotus comes out with to replace the Esprit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I went there last sat. they had a silver one outside and a yellow esprit inside the showroom. If I remember correctly they were both 90k. I realy want a elise more than a used esprit. Im going to go to galpin tommorrow. I remember reading a post that said galpin was selling the car for msrp and if i wanted a elise to my spec i need to put a 10k deposit and pay the rest when the car arrives. Also does anyone have a pic of a s yellow elise next to a laser blue? Having a hard time deciding between those two.
Thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts