The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Alaska and have a 2009 Exige S260. Although I follow this forum I rarely post so here it goes.

My Exige has been stored in my modestly heated garage every winter. This winter I have noted a few drops of orange coolant by the drivers side front wheel. It’s not much but I think it needs to be fixed sooner than later. Since I have to remove the front clam to diagnos the leak I will replace the radiator even if that is not the culprit as long as the clam is off. I have purchased a ProRad all aluminum replacement from Inokinetic/Sector 111 along with new silicone radiator hoses.

I have done extensive research on the front clam removal and have a copy of the shop manual so I feel pretty comfortable that along with a buddy I will be able to safely remove the front clam and replace the radiator. My question is - there is some foam around the edges of the stock radiator presumably to keep the air flowing through the radiator and not around it. I also assume that I will end up destroying this foam when I take out the stock radiator. For those of you that have swapped out your radiator what did you use to replace this foam sealer? I purchased some black foam weatherstripping from Home Depot but worry that it will not hold up to the heat. Any other hints, tips, or words of wisdom regarding Exige front clam removal and radiator replacement would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn, I wish you still lived in Anchorage!!!!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,085 Posts
I live in Alaska and have a 2009 Exige S260. Although I follow this forum I rarely post so here it goes.

My Exige has been stored in my modestly heated garage every winter. This winter I have noted a few drops of orange coolant by the drivers side front wheel. It’s not much but I think it needs to be fixed sooner than later. Since I have to remove the front clam to diagnos the leak I will replace the radiator even if that is not the culprit as long as the clam is off. I have purchased a ProRad all aluminum replacement from Inokinetic/Sector 111 along with new silicone radiator hoses.

I have done extensive research on the front clam removal and have a copy of the shop manual so I feel pretty comfortable that along with a buddy I will be able to safely remove the front clam and replace the radiator. My question is - there is some foam around the edges of the stock radiator presumably to keep the air flowing through the radiator and not around it. I also assume that I will end up destroying this foam when I take out the stock radiator. For those of you that have swapped out your radiator what did you use to replace this foam sealer? I purchased some black foam weatherstripping from Home Depot but worry that it will not hold up to the heat. Any other hints, tips, or words of wisdom regarding Exige front clam removal and radiator replacement would be greatly appreciated.

Silicone hoses actually have a lot of seepage. They look pretty, but aren't a very good choice for street cars. Race cars yes, street cars no.

San

·
Addict
1,299 Posts
If you’re referring to Glen that moved to Colorado he helped me a lot a year ago, though I have not heard from him in a while and his last activity on this forum was back in 2018.

My radiator has been replaced a couple times, when I did it the foam was more for fitting then air flow and was easy to refit. Not sure if there was some seeling material that was lost on the first radiator install or not but guessing you can make something at a hardware store to work just as well.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
You can get foam from McMaster or Amazon to replace the existing foam. The self adhesive type does pretty well. Look up some of the threads on improving the AC[I know Alaska] as they show how the air flows from the radiator to the access panel area. The stock foam kinda works but could use improvement while you are in there

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyones input on the foam surrounding the radiator. I’ll find something that will work.

Anyone have any experience with silicone radiator hoses? Are they a potential problem with leaks and seepage like Oldmansan describes? Should I just use the stock hoses? I’m sure they are still in great shape. Sector 111 says they have installed hundreds of silicone hoses without an issue or complaint.

·
Super Moderator
Exige S260
1,833 Posts
Feel free to PM me, I can guide you thru the phone with your radiator change.

p.s. I am in EST time zone

·
Wingless Wonder
5,554 Posts
Anyone have any experience with silicone radiator hoses? Are they a potential problem with leaks and seepage like Oldmansan describes?
In the Esprit world, some users of silicone hoses have had issues:

1. Bad hoses that seep coolant in the middle. Poor quality or counterfeit branding (watch out for eBay sellers)
2. The need for stronger clamping force. There are more robust types of hose clamps available now. Otherwise you might need to access the clamps for tightening...and if that requires clam removal...HMMM.

For applications far from engine heat and oily contamination, we chose to use rubber hose. A good tip is to use Hylomar Blue (a non-hardening sealer) on all hose-to-pipe junctions, especially if the hoses mate with aluminum.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,172 Posts
Silicone hoses actually have a lot of seepage. They look pretty, but aren't a very good choice for street cars. Race cars yes, street cars no.

San
Not in my experience. Good quality silicone hose seal beautifully. Where have you seen this problem?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,085 Posts
Thanks for everyones input on the foam surrounding the radiator. I’ll find something that will work.

Anyone have any experience with silicone radiator hoses? Are they a potential problem with leaks and seepage like Oldmansan describes? Should I just use the stock hoses? I’m sure they are still in great shape. Sector 111 says they have installed hundreds of silicone hoses without an issue or complaint.
See my post below and/or above (depending on your perspective). There are three people I trust. Me, myself and I.

San

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out my radiator was fine and without leaks. My leak turned out to be the return radiator hose connection behind the left front wheel before it goes through the door sill. The clamp was on tight and it was extremely hard to remove the hose. I’m not sure how it was leaking there. Since the clam was off and I already had the prorad radiator I swapped it out anyway. Thanks Kubera for all your help and insight with the project.

I did swap out the hoses to the silicone hoses and have used some nice constant torque clamps to hold them down. I’m not too worried about water seepage through the hoses as the silicone portion of the cooling circuit is minimal. I also only put about 500 miles a year on the car. I know it’s sad but it will be in beautiful condition for the next owner.

I still have to refill the coolant. Bleed the air, check for leaks and button the clam back up.

I will let you all know if I have any issues with the silicone hoses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts