The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want everything Lotus has to offer {I figure if I spend 60k Canadian on a car, why not spend an extra 10k and get the most/ best out of the car?}

Anyway, I would like either Saffron yellow or Bordeaux red, with probably a black leather interior. And all of the options.

Now, those of you with these packages, are they all worth it? I have been reading posts non stop and some seem to say the sports package isn't all it could be. I get the feeling it can make the car "twitchy" and any sudden movements can cause the back end to step out. While I am not an longtime driver {I am 23} I have been to racing school, I have driven for hours each day since I took my licence and I understand how rwd cars react to less than desirable situations.

1. Is the suspension much firmer, more responsive, that much better over stock?

2. So, is the Sports package worth it? {I'm alread sold on the LLS wheels!!!}

Touring package, is the leather nice? Is it durable? I have seen pictures where it looks like it's fading already {although it may just be the camera/ picture}. Is the carpet long lasting?

3. Does any carpet come with the car, or floor mats?

4. The electric windows are of good quality? I hear the window winders can fail {or was that just the older models?}

5. Stereo and cargo net, any value in these items so far?

6. The "extra" sound deadening and insulation,is it noticable?

7. Star Shield - It is almost totally certian that I should get it. "An option that isn't an option" - right?

8. Hard Top - seems odd not to have one, has anyone NOT bought it?

9. Sports exhaust - Which "level" is the best bang for the buck? I don't want my car soundling like those cars with massive mufflers that you can hear banging from 10 miles away, I just want the nicest "exhaust note" the car has. Doesn't have to be the loudest, just matches the cars appeal.

10. Driving lights - 800 US bucks for 2? What a rip off! Anyway, are they helpful? I hear/ read that the headlamps on the Elise are somewhat lacking in visability. Anyone have the driving lights?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I think that generally the packages are worth it, if that is what you want. I will give you my opinion, but your mileage may vary.

1) Good value....Suspension- I haven't driven the standard, but I am very happy that I have LSS. I don't find it "twitchy" at all.
If I had it to do again, I would again go with LSS.

2)Good value..... I am also happy with the touring, and find that the leather quality is generally good. I would guess that the side cloth bolsters will wear out before the leather.

3) Unknown value.....Yes, some carpeting. Quality and durability? Too soon to tell.

4) good value......Electric windows work well. Motor sounds strong for the size of the window and has crisp execution.

5)debatable value..... Stereo and cargo net are debatable items. I do use the cargo net for holding maps but never use the stereo in this car. I like the sound of the engine and exhaust.

6) Who knows! You'd have to A/B for yourself, which I don't think anyone has done.

7)Must have...... Starshield-definitely,IMO. Mine is already torn up forward of the rear wheels. If it wasn't there, the paint would be a mess.

8)good value...... I didn't get the hardtop and wish I would have it. If you order it after the car, it will cost you twice the price.

9)Sport exhaust can be added later.

10) Driving lights.....not an option at this point, but I would love to have them as they become available.

I am happy with the packages. The other add-on items (exhaust,driving lights, etc.) will be more available as the after market options increase over time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. It seems like I would want most of the options and would have to buy the full packages to get them. It also seems like I should also get the hard top ASAP because I can't imagine having a car without it and if it's 2x the price later, it just makes sense.
Just as a sidenote would I be able to fit a small wheel chair in the trunk {child size}?

Does anyone know how much the LLS wheels are if I don't get the sports package? I heard they are nearly or even over 500 US each.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Porschein2Lotus said:
Just as a sidenote would I be able to fit a small wheel chair in the trunk {child size}?

I also doubt it, but you may consider a luggage rack for this purpose.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I agree with Pianomaniac almost completely. The LSS, IMHO, is a big waste of money UNLESS you really want those particular wheels. I will say I wish I got it, but didn't. But for that $2400 I got new SSR wheels with AO48s on them, and the LSS springs to replace my stock ones. So I'm using the stock dampers (LSS ones aren't adjustable anyway) with LSS springs, AND I have two sets of wheels/tires. Value-wise I'm way ahead, but all that said I wish I had the LSS rims. :( LSS rims, if even available, are really, really expensive.

On the exhaust, the stock muffler has a nice sound to it. It is not necessary to change at all. I did, though, and LOVE the throaty, loud Quicksilver exhaust. Many have the Stage 2, which is also a great sounding exhaust. Both make the car sound like it looks. It's a matter of preference, both in sound and in the look of the tips (cut down (2) or sticking back (QS)).

Oh, and I use the cargo net extensively. What would I do without it???

Buy it all and be happy.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Porschein2Lotus said:
Touring package, is the leather nice? Is it durable? I have seen pictures where it looks like it's fading already {although it may just be the camera/ picture}. Is the carpet long lasting?

3. Does any carpet come with the car, or floor mats?

4. The electric windows are of good quality? I hear the window winders can fail {or was that just the older models?}

5. Stereo and cargo net, any value in these items so far?

6. The "extra" sound deadening and insulation,is it noticable?

7. Star Shield - It is almost totally certian that I should get it. "An option that isn't an option" - right?

8. Hard Top - seems odd not to have one, has anyone NOT bought it?

9. Sports exhaust - Which "level" is the best bang for the buck? I don't want my car soundling like those cars with massive mufflers that you can hear banging from 10 miles away, I just want the nicest "exhaust note" the car has. Doesn't have to be the loudest, just matches the cars appeal.
The leather is nice, but unless you're getting the biscuit color, I don't know if it's worth it.

3. Cars come with floor mats; all the touring pack gets you is a little carpet on the vertical sides of the chassis tub down low.

4. Electric windows work fine and fast.

5. it's a nice stereo, I like it. The cargo net is a good place to store my registration and insurance info, pretty much useless for anything else as it's so difficult to access with the seats in the back position. People report that if you put CDs in the pocket, it'll block the intrusion sensor (located behind that panel), thus rending the pocket even more useless.

7. Starshield is a MUST and is a bargain for the amount of coverage we get.

9. I thought the stage 2 exhaust was too loud for normal driving and would get obnoxious after a while. I haven't ridden in a car with stage 1 yet. I like the factory exhaust and won't change it for some time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: Questions about which packages work.

MattG said:
1The leather is nice, but unless you're getting the biscuit color, I don't know if it's worth it.

9. I thought the stage 2 exhaust was too loud for normal driving and would get obnoxious after a while. I haven't ridden in a car with stage 1 yet. I like the factory exhaust and won't change it for some time.
Why is that? Is the biscuit color made from a tougher material? Or....? I'm just not understanding.

9. I leave for work at 3:30 am, would stage 2 be too loud? Or even stage 1? You know how sound travells at night with no other noise. {Just think of a campground when you were a kid, you could be 1 mile away from your parents but they could always hear you say damn!} :no:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Look, my wife can hear me coming two blocks away (she claims, anyway). Stage 2 is similar to the QS, so I would guess you need to define "too loud". If you want your neighbors to adore you, don't upgrade your exhaust. Or creep down the block, because at idle or near idle the exhaust isn't a lot louder than stock.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
yeah, as far as exhaust, u need to go hear it...the demo i was driving i felt was just a tad tame....turns out it had the stage 2.
the stock was very quiet.
so, i dont think stage 2 is that loud...maybe at full throttle.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Questions about which packages work.

Porschein2Lotus said:
Why is that? Is the biscuit color made from a tougher material? Or....? I'm just not understanding.

9. I leave for work at 3:30 am, would stage 2 be too loud? Or even stage 1? You know how sound travells at night with no other noise. {Just think of a campground when you were a kid, you could be 1 mile away from your parents but they could always hear you say damn!} :no:
Biscuit: Sorry for not being clearer about that. What I mean is, the black touring pack interior is so similar to the standard interior, that it can be tough justifying the extra expense. I should clarify that there ARE the other colors available with the touring pack too, not just biscuit (blue, red).

As for the exhaust, I'd say yes, it'd probably be too loud, though it can depend on the density of the neighborhood. You'd have to creep away with as little throttle as possible to not disturb your neighbors. However, I found that the noise at a steady cruising speed wasn't bad, seemed comparable to stock. So...if you want it badly enough...you could make it work.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Or you can be like me and not give a sh*t. I drive a Lotus with the rather boisterous QS exhaust. Deal with it.

That's not to say that I burn rubber out of the neighborhood, but I'm not going to make decisions on my Elise based on my rather snooty neighbors. Some of them love my car, and some don't. Oh well.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts