The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Do any of you track on Carbotech pads? How do you like them?

Right now, I'm using CL RC6E and I love everything about them in terms of performance, but I don't like how fast they destroy rotors, and that they have a smaller swept area than many common street pads, so swapping to street pads becomes difficult.

So, first question. Are the carbotech pads a full sweep area like the pagids (like this ), or are they a reduced sweep area (like this)

I know they're great on the track, but how streetable are they? I have 100-300 mile drives to get to tracks, and I don't want to use a pad which won't get me home safely.

Thanks!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I love my XP10 front and XP12 rear Carbotech pads for stoping and rotor ware. I trailer to track events but have done some tune drives on local public roads under 30 miles on and seems fine other then typical race pad noise.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've been using them for several years now, pretty much a dedicated track car.
I used to run pagid blacks, which were unbearable on the street, and very tough on rotors.

I'm currently running xp20's front and rear, but have run 8's and 10's as well.
I've got a set of bobcat's for the street, but haven't found the need to change over, as even the 20's seem pretty happy at lower temps.

You won't have any issues driving 200-300 miles to and from the track with them with any of the XP series.

I would always keep a spare set of fronts on hand in case you run through a set at the track.

I'm not sure what the full vs non full is, are you referring to the curve vs lack of curve at the end opossite the retaining pins?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what the full vs non full is, are you referring to the curve vs lack of curve at the end opossite the retaining pins?
Yes. The pads with the curve touch less of the rotor surface area than the pads with no curve. Once using pads with curve, you can't go back to pads without curve, since they now sit at an angle and wear grooves in the rotor.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've been using the xp10 xp12 setup for street & track use for about 1k miles now (400 were at VIR) and I've been pleased.

·
He's on fire!
3,287 Posts
i run carbotechs and have no complaints. XP on track and AX6 on the street. I wouldn't hesitate to drive the XP's on the street, but cold the AX6 (and therefore the bobcats) have much more initial bite. They should be easier on rotors because of the type of pad they are, but you may trade eating rotors for eating pads.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yes. The pads with the curve touch less of the rotor surface area than the pads with no curve. Once using pads with curve, you can't go back to pads without curve, since they now sit at an angle and wear grooves in the rotor.
I checked my spares, they are all curved.

·
Registered
846 Posts
i run carbotechs and have no complaints. XP on track and AX6 on the street. I wouldn't hesitate to drive the XP's on the street, but cold the AX6 (and therefore the bobcats) have much more initial bite. They should be easier on rotors because of the type of pad they are, but you may trade eating rotors for eating pads.
These pads while not inexpensive, are less than the rotors I use.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love my XP10 front and XP12 rear Carbotech pads for stoping and rotor ware. I trailer to track events but have done some tune drives on local public roads under 30 miles on and seems fine other then typical race pad noise.
Sorry for the sort-of thread jack, but would you mind elaborating on your impressions of this setup a little bit? I'm thinking of going XP8/XP10 (F/R) to try to balance out the brake biasing a bit. I wrote Sector 111 to discuss this, and they told me that it was and idea they've kicked around, but have yet to try it on their track car. However, they strongly cautioned me with this setup. Have you noticed any adverse handling/braking characteristics on track (i.e. does the back have a tendancy to come around on you under hard braking?)?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've now done a full day at Laguna Seca on the XP12 front, XP10 rear combo, and they're a nice combination. In my opinion, the car is pretty well balanced. The rear pads have a large surface area compared to the front, and local track people are running 12's in front and 10's in rear for that reason. I don't know how fast you are, but the front pads get super hot in this car due to their small size, so i'd personally be reluctant running XP8's, but then again, I'm borderline on the XP12's.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have run several years with carbotechs on cup disc in NASA TT. First season all I ran was xp12 f / xp10 rear. I trail brake and like the rotation I get by the staggered pad but at high speed hard braking the rear will dance a bit. You have to use extremely high heat fluid or you will cook your pads and then your rotors will mirror. Bleed a lot. This last year I ran xp12 f / xp12 rear and really liked that setup...mainly to help with high speed and more rotation as I learned to have more slip/speed through turns. As menitoned carbos get very hot so cooling / fluid, bleeding, etc. are critical.

As a reference, I won the great lakes region in 2011 and second in 2012 with that setup.

*Check your brake piston seals between pad replacement. Even with high heat seals mine cook about 3/4 through a season.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
I've had the CT109L-XP8 pads on my Elise for about 8 months and will probably try the xp10 front / xp8 rear next.

The xp8's all around are excellent street and track. I had zero fade on the track and they are very progressive, unlike the CL 5+ I had... They faded on the track easily and really bite the rotor .... I swapped them for the XP8's shortly after getting the cl's

A side issue with the CL's is they rust onto the rotor after getting wet.
This leaves pad outlines all over the rotor after a while. I park my Elise outside. Also, the cl's eat up rotors like no other pad...never again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts