The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my topic headline is misleading, but for me this really IS a quick fix: double-clutching the downshift.

During the last one or two months, my tranny grind in the 3rd to 2nd downshift has been getting worse and worse. I haven't been able to get a clean shift unless I downshifted below 3000rpm or thereabouts. And in the worst cases, I could actually smell the metal-on-metal abrasion. Yikes. I was pretty sure I would be looking at a new transmission this season.

Why the hell I didn't try double-clutching before I don't know, but by augmenting my basic heel-toe/rev-matching procedure with that extra declutching step, I think I've completely obviated the need for a new tranny. All grind is gone, even when shifting at the highest possible RPMs. I really had no idea it was this easy (the last time I tried to double-clutch downshift was years before I learned basic rev-matching and heel-toe).

Anyhow, I just wanted to pop online to let those with synchro problems know that double-clutching really does work, and it doesn't even seem to require perfect rev-matching.

What's more, seeing that our tranny is, in fact, prone to 2nd gear synchro failure, those who don't double-clutch downshift may want to look into it to baby those gears as much as possible.

(I'm guessing the long-time double-clutchers on this board are having a chuckle at this post, but the fact remains that even a lot of experienced track drivers blip the throttle with the clutch pedal still depressed -- a rev-match, often under heel-toe braking, but not double-clutching.)

·
Registered
820 Posts
It will eventually get worse to the point where a double clutch doesn't solve it anymore. I always double clutch on around-town downshifts. Sometimes on track I don't bother... but I'm retarded. :p

Cheers

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Great reminder! Although, for some reason, now I feel so old! In college I had a job that required me to drive an old Chevy van with three on the tree-if I didn't double-clutch every downshift, I'd just be fishing for gears. And although my Fiat Spider has synchros, they forgot to tell second and first.

I still sometimes find it hard to do on the track though, just because things happen so much faster, but on the street my left foot just remembers the old days and it comes naturally.

Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts