The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to install the battery after winter storage. I followed the manual directions and attached the positive cable first. When I put the negative cable on, there was a spark and some immediate smoke from the terminal and also near the area of the oil dipstick. I disconnected the neg. cable as quick as I could, but now I am afraid to try again. Any suggestions on a fix and whether any damage has been done? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Hmmm, I would do an inspection with a dental mirror and a flashlight to see if you can see anything obvious (Rat chewed wiring comes to mind, Look for telltale signs - nesting material droppings etc...) Focus on the power supply to the starter and any grounding connections you can find. Good Luck!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I just went to install the battery after winter storage. I followed the manual directions and attached the positive cable first. When I put the negative cable on, there was a spark and some immediate smoke from the terminal and also near the area of the oil dipstick. I disconnected the neg. cable as quick as I could, but now I am afraid to try again. Any suggestions on a fix and whether any damage has been done? Thanks in advance.
First, obviously double check that you've got the polarity correct (anybody can make a mistake).

Second, it's normal to get a spark (and a bit of smoke) when connecting the negative cable. Smoke from around the dipstick... not normal. It could be the result of a loose ground wire (see above post).

If you try it again, leave a door open or look through the back window at the rpm telltale/immobilizer light to see if it or the interior light come on when you connect the battery. If they don't, disconnect and look for bigger problems.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue. Put a volt meter on ohms scale and check how much resistance there is between the battery terminal connectors of the car. If it is around 0 ohms you have a direct short and you need to find out why before hooking the battery up.

That's a start to getting the car started.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
problem solved

First, obviously double check that you've got the polarity correct (anybody can make a mistake).

Second, it's normal to get a spark (and a bit of smoke) when connecting the negative cable. Smoke from around the dipstick... not normal. It could be the result of a loose ground wire (see above post).

If you try it again, leave a door open or look through the back window at the rpm telltale/immobilizer light to see if it or the interior light come on when you connect the battery. If they don't, disconnect and look for bigger problems.
It is embarrassing to admit, but after 5 months of storage, I forgot that the battery posts go on the OUTBOARD side, so I did have the + and - backwards.:wallbang:

Sorry for the stupid question, but thanks to all for a quick response.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem #2 solved

While taking the car for a test drive to make sure there were no CEL's or other issues, I noticed the shift indicator coming on at about 6200 rpm even when fully warmed up. Came home, did a quick search and found the thread on the battery tender connected to wrong terminal and a blown ECU b+ fuse (R4). Sure enough, changed the fuse, went for a test drive and the issue was resolved.

This forum is a lifesaver...especially for a knucklehead like me who happens to be 4 hours from the closest dealer.

Thanks to all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts