The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car should hit port tomorrow, or hell even tonight!!

My question is simple, starshield... I am going to cover the car no matter what. The question is to have a local pro do it for 500 and use 3m film like what lotus uses, or use the starshild progam from lotus for 1k?

The reason I ask is simple, I asked my dealer to have it installed on my car, but when we talked last he mentioned that the local guy who does all the porches and other high named cars (I called every dealer today, they all use these 2 guys) had done 3 of the 4 elise's that have come his way and he insists the quality is just as good if not better.

I really wanted the starshield on my car, but it seems like my dealer may not have made the call in time to get it done on my car, as it hits port today or over the next few days or so.

What do you guys think, should I call lotus on monday and ask them to see if they can add the starshileld, or just pay less and get the product installed localy??? The waranty is the same for both products, one thorough this local company or through lotus..

Adam P..

Need Quick help!

PS. if you lotus employee's are reading this, call me! (210_ 269 . 0311-)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I'd investigate the armourglove stuff if available in your area. It seems less noticeable on the car compared to the star shield. Much less of that orange peel look for example.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>that armorglove costs more than the dealer installed starshield according to the site. and that doesnt include installation.<<<

Well then I guess those are puffed up numbers and not street prices. If you get a chance, look at different films on Elises. I had a chance to do so at HRM and at the recent Lotus Elise BBQ. Other than not having the Lotus watermark stamped into it, I really like the armourglove on my car. This is what I mean by the orange peel type look on the star shield -

Some of the other films don't do this!

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
so mark is applying different films on the cars?
or only starshield? do we have a choice when we order from him?
can he apply armorglove?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>so mark is applying different films on the cars? or only starshield? do we have a choice when we order from him? can he apply armorglove?<<<

Mark can get you the Lotus or Armourglove film. The latter can also be specified to cover extra areas if that is of interest. I had some more of the front covered....the spine and the two detachable covers for example. Armourglove's is based in the area so they try to keep things extra nice for the customer. I met Joe Kane their President recently at HRM, nice guy and a car enthusiast too. He gave me lots of ideas and tips regarding the film.

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
good to know.
when its time for my car to arrive i think i'll have mark do armorglove.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stan said:
>>>that armorglove costs more than the dealer installed starshield according to the site. and that doesnt include installation.<<<

Well then I guess those are puffed up numbers and not street prices. If you get a chance, look at different films on Elises. I had a chance to do so at HRM and at the recent Lotus Elise BBQ. Other than not having the Lotus watermark stamped into it, I really like the armourglove on my car. This is what I mean by the orange peel type look on the star shield -

Some of the other films don't do this!
Good stuff stan!

I will look into it more today. I like more coverage, but I want the same coverage, if not more. its not a dollar figure problem to me, more of a quality stand point....

Thanks,
Adam P

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I would favor a local installer, you can inspect it together when you pick up the car and resolve any issues right then and there. I have had two other cars done locally and have been very happy with the work. The Star Shiled on my Elise has some real quality issues and as Stan points out really has an orange texture to it.
My advice go local! Look at the work of the local installer and see if it meets your needs and if so go with it.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Maybe its just a difference in the color of cars, but my starshield doesnt look nearly as obvious as the starshield in that pic above. :huh:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
OneFastLotus said:
Maybe its just a difference in the color of cars, but my starshield doesnt look nearly as obvious as the starshield in that pic above. :huh:
Ditto. I can barely see mine.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've had my car for a week now and had planned on getting the starshield installed when the dealer gets them in. My question is does the car already come with some sort of protection in front of the rear wheels? Mine has some kind of "guard" which looks very much like the starshield. Did they maybe install just that part of it? And the other day I got a small rock chip that missed the shield by about 1/8th of an inch. I haven't gotten over it yet, but I guess I can't avoid it. The first one is always the worst. Do the dealerships carry touch up paint?

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
There is a hourglassed shaped protection piece on the front of the rear fender that is standard. It is applied at the port. It is left off if the car is to get Starshield and is typically left in the boot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts