The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the car about 6 months ago and basically stripped down the whole interior a month later to start the project. It took me about 200 hours of labor to complete.

I know the sound system isn't going to be very popular in this forum, but I really hated the stock system. I felt if I were going to spend the money for a box and system, I'd just do it myself and make worth putting a system in.

Equipment
HU: Pioneer AVIC 140bh
Amps: Audiobahn A4004J intake series amp (mounted under passenger side of dash), JL audio Slash 500/1 v2 (mounted behind driver seat)
Component speakers: Soundstream Reference 60 6.5" speakers & tweeters (i had these laying around the house for a couple years)
Sub: JL audio 13tw5 subwoofer (2.5" thick woofer)
Rear Camera: Soundstream weather proof low light camera (had this laying around as well)

Interior was molded in a layer of fiberglass and I carbon fibered over it. Clear coat and CO orange paint was ordered through a recommend site I found through this forum. I dynamat behind the woofer box, behind the seats, under the seats, and the floor under the dash.

I'm prob gonna get asked about weight. I forgot to weigh the parts before installing it, but all the carbon parts felt lighter than their oem counterparts. the subwoofer box itself weighs less than the factory panel+all the foam behind it. The component speakers obviously weighed more than the factory speakers and the sub weighs 18lbs. The net weight, I prob gained 20lbs or so.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Cool man, though you could honestly get away with a *much* smaller sub in a car this small (and thus save weight!) :)

It looks like you have gone with a glossy dash - do you intend to leave it that way? (seems like it would be a hazard in bright light) Have you thought about a matte clear finish to the CF parts? Looks trick on the Cup cars.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to do a 10 or 12" sub in the back originally but they didn't make anything but a 13" for their thin series. I could have gone w/ a W0 that everyone else goes with, but I didn't think I would be happy w/ it for the amount of work I put in.

Yeah, the dash is gloss. I like the gloss finish carbon better than the matt finish. I had a gloss finish cf dash on my celica and didn't have a problem with it. I've been driving this around for a few weeks now and from the angle of the dash, I haven't had a problem with reflection yet.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Although I'm not a huge fan of carbon fiber, I looks nice and very well done.

If I do have to nitpick, I think you need to finish it off with a cf binnacle. That's one of the most significant pieces on the dash and it's the big plastic thing in a see of carbon. A cf binnacle will complete the look!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Functionally it looks like a giant squeak in waiting.... and I'm totally missing the point of glossy CF on the sills-- aren't they going to get scratched up in about 2 weeks? And on dash?

Can the OP or SwingLo explain the point of the double din thing? I mean, what do you need to do with the big unit/touchscreen(?) that's worth cutting up the dash and losing the vents? I have one on my VW GTI and can't really imagine wanting or needing one in my Elise. Is it for nav? If so, why don't you use an iPhone app?

If you're asking opinions about the aesthetics, hey it's a personal choice, so whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Double din allows you to use nav and rear view camera without taking up additional space, and without having a pop-out screen which intersects with switchgear.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Functionally it looks like a giant squeak in waiting.... and I'm totally missing the point of glossy CF on the sills-- aren't they going to get scratched up in about 2 weeks? And on dash?

Can the OP or SwingLo explain the point of the double din thing? I mean, what do you need to do with the big unit/touchscreen(?) that's worth cutting up the dash and losing the vents? I have one on my VW GTI and can't really imagine wanting or needing one in my Elise. Is it for nav? If so, why don't you use an iPhone app?

If you're asking opinions about the aesthetics, hey it's a personal choice, so whatever floats your boat.
Sure, I'll bite.

A bit of background:

- I drive my car a lot. Lots of long (2-3 trips) for sales calls. Always try to find twisty or scenic routes on the way.

- I also tend to have lots of conference calls. Many are 'listen only' - so when I'm driving, on the phone.

So, for double din:

- Visual - it's bigger. I've had them in every car for the last 10 years. Easier on the eyes for Nav. Don't want to be jacking around with my iPhone (dangerous). Had a Garmin Nuvi, but that was always in the way and an extra cord, not to mention a very small screen.

- Phone - bluetooth on the unit - again for listening in on con calls. I hate having earbuds or jawbones.

- AC Vents - the AC on my car is worthless. Losing them meant nothing. Matter of fact, AC is better only pushing through 2 vents.

- Back up camera - I have 3 little kids. I will NEVER own a car that doesn't have a backup camera. My kids are too important to me for any accident. Not to mention that my house is kid central and god forbid an accident happens. The double din gives me a nice big visual.

So, with all that my options were custom set up or flip out. I hate flip outs. Nuff said.

So there ya go.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Nice work Johnny, I look forward to checking it out in person when you head down in a couple of months. That looks REALLY loud lol, has the car started to rattle apart yet? I agree too on the CF binnacle. If you are over playing with carbon for a bit, they can be had relatively cheap, but then again, it may not match perfectly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts