The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i feel stupid to have to ask this question, but i might as well get it over with. I would expect it to use premium gas, but is it safe to use regular unleaded?

·
Registered
682 Posts
You can use unleaded gas, if you're a bastard. If the knock sensor trips (CEL) you'll need to boost the octane. That's what lotus says about the Elise, not in those exact words.

If you're talking about the Exige S, which you almost certainly are, then there's an added supercharger. The compression ratio doesn't change, but I would assume the pressures are higher before and after compression. I think that forced induction would increase the pressure of gasses in the cylinders, possibly leading to more detonation than in a naturally aspirated engine (correct me if I'm wrong). If you experience detonation (AKA pinging or knock) then you'll have to increase your octane.

Personally, I had a problem with 93 octane gas with 15% ethanol. Lotus only mentions 10% Ethanol in the manual.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Look, its about a $60,000 car when new...so don't put junk into it.

Regular unleaded once in a while probably won't hurt a bone stock engine driven on the street like a grandma...but the engine definitely will not like it. Higher octane is to prevent knock and/or detonation in higher performance engines. Why risk 60k to save a couple bucks per tank? Any investor would tell you that's foolish.

·
Registered
682 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Last weekend while down at NJMP at a track weekend, I pulled into a Shell to get gas. Since the lovely state of NJ makes it illegal to pump you own gas, I usually have to pull in, turn the car off, and jump out in a split second to beat the gas attendant to my gas cap. Anyway, this time he beat me there and started putting the nozzle in. I told him to be careful and that I'll hold it from here since some fall and sit on the car and can scratch it. Anyways, he was so interested in the car and kept asking questions, that as he hit the button to select the grade and hit regular. I didn't notice as I started pumping gas (since he was blocking the pump screen). I pumped about 6 gallons of regular in. Only when he walked away to serve another customer did I notice it was on regular. After screaming at him to change it up, I figure I had about 6 gallons of regular and about 2 gallons of high octane.

Well, long story short, two days of tracking and nothing happened or felt funny, no codes or lights or anything. So I guess it was ok, although I did have the little bit of higher octane gas in there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, i get it guys. lol. the only reason i ask is because no one had ever told me what gas type this car uses. and sinse i did know, naturally i would ask. i figured it would be premium, but it wont hurt to make sure.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had a gas station attendant in NJ attempt to put diesel in my car while conversing with me absent mindedly. Luckily, when he saw the look of fear, and then rage on my face, he let me pump my own tank. It was when I first got the car, and the guy let me gas it up with the engine running since the battery was dead... so I guess he could've been a jerk about that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well thanks for the answers guys. no one ever specifyed to me before what kind of gas this car needs. so i figured id ask, even as obvious as the answer was, its better to be safe and ask

1 - 14 of 14 Posts