The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'm sorry I am new here so please forgive me.

I know folks spend big money for aftermarket lightweight rims, I like the volk ce28's and see those are quite popular. The thing I notice is everyone running 15x7 fronts and 16x8 rears. There is exactly a pound difference between 15x7 vs 15x6.5 and same with the 16x8 vs 16x7. I know the chosen tires will fit either rim, but curious why everyone enjoys the wider rim given the choice. Or is it more about offsets and appearance.

Probably a dumb question, thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
First off I'm sorry I am new here so please forgive me.

I know folks spend big money for aftermarket lightweight rims, I like the volk ce28's and see those are quite popular. The thing I notice is everyone running 15x7 fronts and 16x8 rears. There is exactly a pound difference between 15x7 vs 15x6.5 and same with the 16x8 vs 16x7. I know the chosen tires will fit either rim, but curious why everyone enjoys the wider rim given the choice. Or is it more about offsets and appearance.

Probably a dumb question, thank you in advance.
well i would like to think a wider rim will support a wider tire better... putting a 225 series tire on a 7" wide rim as opposed to an 8" is probably going to change the dynamics of the sidewall flex, thus directly effecting handling

a wider rim also gives room for expansion if you were to choose to run a wider series tire down the road

those are probably the 2 main factors/benefits...

if you want to go an inch narrower in rim width all the way around, I'm going to assume that purely based on your budget? or are those 4 lbs of unsprung rim weight factoring in as well?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Grass roots did a tire test on a CRX a while back. If I remember correctly, they tested the same tire on different width rims. They found that the having it on the ideal/median sized rim was significant on their laptimes. Going more narrow, was like 1 sec slower, despite being lighter. I think they went wider too, and also saw an increase in laptime, but less so. This is from memory, so I might be way off.

·
Premium Member
12,174 Posts
Tire Rack and many mfgrs list the range of wheels widths for each tire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It just seemed odd that people ran the wider rim when a thinner rim would hold the same size tire and save 4 pounds is unsprung mass. I will research some more about the track times. Very interesting.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think thinner is also better for gas mileage.

My car is a 2011 and it came with 6" fronts and 8" rears. The new Lotus cup R also comes with what I think are the same size wheels, since the tires are the same, 175/55. Elise S Cup R | Lotus Cars

They must know what they are doing... its Lotus after all. All the other parts on the car are fine tuned for track use, except Advan AD07's. So I am expecting most buyers will change the tires, but not the wheels?

There must be a good reason Lotus makes this combination the default on a true race car?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts