The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I wanted to give a quick roundup of my first track weekend with the Elise. My previous track days over the past few years have been with a Miata (Turbo and then NA). I ran with the Porsche PCA at CMP in South Carolina.

Friday Night: Night before track day
Lots of Rain!

Saturday Problems: Experienced a lot of stuttering from the start of the caution lap and I knew something was wrong. I knew it wasn't because I was riding it too hard because it started before I really go on it. I lost the track day; however, due to all the great info on Lotus Talk, I was able to figure out that I had water and arcing problems with the coil packs and spark plugs.

Sunday morning repair: Removed all coil packs and plugs. The coil packs definitely had arcing and moisture on three of the coil packs. There was also fluid on two of the four spark plugs. I cleaned all the plugs, cleaned the coil packs and blew compressed air into the coil pack sleeves. I then put everything back together and everything ran perfectly after that!

First two track sessions: I ran in the Porsche White Group. The group was much slower than I expected. I kept the traction control on for the first two sessions since I didn't really know what to expect and I wanted that safety net. I found that I didn't like the traction control on at all. I kept running into it at several places on the track. I found that I was inching towards the limit when I had feet to go. I really didn't know how GREAT this car was on the track yet! Still, even though I was no where near the limit, I was still passing everyone in my class.

Second two track sessions: I turned off the traction control and that transformed the car! I thought that I would need a lot of throttle control, but that wasn't the case. I could get full on throttle much earlier than I expected. I simply could not believe the amount of grip I was getting. I completely dominated my class in these two sections. I passed a GT3, 911 of every generation and configuration, Cayman S and Boxster S, 914 with a small block Chevy. The highlight of my day was running with a Nissan GT-R. I was killing him in the corners and he'd catch me in the straights. We were probably running identical lap times. It was cat and mouse the whole track session. I pointed him by only to get the point by back one lap later. I could not have been any more impressed with the Elise!

I ran Toyo R888 at 24lbs front and 26lbs rear cold. The grip was fantastic and never got greasy. They were very predictable and forgiving. I had Padget track pads and they were fantastic!

I did not find the edge this weekend. I was running 1:54 - 1:56 lap times; however, given another day, I know I could have shaved some seconds off as I figure out my limit with this car. The limit is much higher than I expected. I couldn't believe how slow the other Porsche's seemed in the turns!

I have a video using my IPhone and Harry's Lap Timer. It was early in the day with the traction control, but it will have to do. None of the videos worked properly.

To anyone looking to get a Lotus Elise for a track day car! DO IT!

Greg

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

Let me share a bit of know about this track that I learned the hard way.

Going over the "kink" (turn 10) one really needs to have good solid throttle applied. Keeping the rear planted is critical going over a bump like that. You appear to be coasting over it. This is especially true for a mid engine car.

Best line is to the left of the bump, turning later and actually less.

Here is testament to my experience there

bestw.jpg

I lifted, spun twice to the right and sailed along on cold February grass a long way until nestling into a tire wall. Crashed the right front and busted the windscreen. Right mirror landed in my lap and I got a quick view of a well initiated track person!

NASCAR champ Jimmie Johnson lifted there and did me better in number of spins, but stayed on the track. Guess that's why he's the champ.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for sharing.

Let me share a bit of know about this track that I learned the hard way.

Going over the "kink" (turn 10) one really needs to have good solid throttle applied. Keeping the rear planted is critical going over a bump like that. You appear to be coasting over it. This is especially true for a mid engine car.

Best line is to the left of the bump, turning later and actually less.

Here is testament to my experience there

View attachment 184800

I lifted, spun twice to the right and sailed along on cold February grass a long way until nestling into a tire wall. Crashed the right front and busted the windscreen. Right mirror landed in my lap and I got a quick view of a well initiated track person!

NASCAR champ Jimmie Johnson lifted there and did me better in number of spins, but stayed on the track. Guess that's why he's the champ.

Jimmie Johnson throws it off in the kink at CMP - YouTube
That you very much for your advice. I was driving through that section with a lot more speed and throttle later in the day, but I was still going deep to the right. It was not upsetting the car so I thought that was a good way. I will definitely try the line you recommend next time I am there.

I'm sorry to hear about your Elise!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Great track!! I ran there 2 weeks ago with the Noble forum guys and ran a 1:50.3 with TC on. Only pointed one Noble by all day, it had 650 hp and semi-pro driver.

Ran R888's 26 + 28 psi cold.

Very impressed with the Elise especially how well the chassis handles 300+hp.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here is video of me in the BRG Elise with BOE Rev 400 TVS kit video taken from a fast Noble (600hp+) that i had to point by. Once I saw him in my mirrors I started trying too hard and screwed up several corners.

As you can see at the 5 minute point he catches me up, I was behind another Noble that was holding me up.

Notice the occasional flames out my exhaust.

Great day at the track!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is video of me in the BRG Elise with BOE Rev 400 TVS kit video taken from a fast Noble (600hp+) that i had to point by. Once I saw him in my mirrors I started trying too hard and screwed up several corners.

As you can see at the 5 minute point he catches me up, I was behind another Noble that was holding me up.

Notice the occasional flames out my exhaust.

Great day at the track!

esrandl CMP Track Day Rossion Q1 giving it hell around the track !!! - YouTube
Very cool video. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Once I saw him in my mirrors I started trying too hard and screwed up several corners.
Thanks for sharing. Yeah, you can see where you where taking wide sweeps, braking early and missing several apexes in a row. Still awesome vid. Nice flames!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts