The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Lotus Elise that I just purchase, whats the normal temperature these cars should run on? I'm not sure if the car is overheating or if it's at normal temperature. I read the manual that anywhere from 190-220 F? 245 is overheating?

·
Registered
480 Posts
The highest i have gotten was 210 because it was hot and humid out..... ughhhh.... but had the AC blasting ;) But when it is like 65-75 out the normal temperature i get is in this range 190-195 and depends on how you drive it too. Also, 245 is definitely overheating lol...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok I was running 190-205 F today with air condition blasting and it was def. hot out. I got a little worried I've only owned the vehicle for a few hours. Is there some type of warning that would flash if the vehicle ever did get too hot? or would it go on limp mode like on other European vehicles?

·
Registered
480 Posts
To be honest i wouldnt know. Sorry.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Another note - if the car seems to get very hot, you can put the heat on to pull from the radiator.

Close the vents, turn on the heat full blast with recirc. It will help the engine cool (but not the driver!)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Dallas, full sun, 106 degrees in stop and go traffic with the AC running....I think I hit 206 once. I don't remember higher but I'll pay attention. No 106 today again, but it will be back soon.

245 is way high for regular driving. I don't track enough to recall but maybe some of our track guys can comment on what temp they hit when they are driving hard.

If you routinely hit that level under normal conditions, you have an issue. I also think you are running some risks of over heat engine damage (?) and shortening the life of your oil.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Are there now a couple of posts missing from this thread? Including mine from last night? What's going on? :confused:

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Are there now a couple of posts missing from this thread? Including mine from last night? What's going on? :confused:
The Autoguide forum nazis will not allow you to speak of temperatures without being a sponsor! :)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
186 is my normal operating temp (both supercharged and normally aspirated). In stop and go traffic the temps get higher. Highest temp I ever saw was 210 in stop and go Phoenix traffic; I pulled over and let it cool. I suspect the car had been undriven for a while as I had just bought the car 20 minutes before, likely had unpurged air bubbles in the coolant. A trick to get the temp down: Turn on the AC for a few seconds until the electric fans come on, turn off the ac, the fans keep running for a period of time dropping the temp.

·
Premium Member
6,620 Posts
187-194 with stock thermostat fine when moving. 204-206 normal in traffic, never an issue. If you don't see temps come up to normal while driving in a mellow fashion, your thermostat has failed and is stuck open.
My new thermostat seems to run ~182 which is great

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
245 is borderline overheating and definitely not normal for driving conditions that aren't on the track. The highest I ever saw was around 218F after hot lapping in the summer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts