The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed a deposit on an Elise 1 month ago and expected to be called in April/May of next year given the fact I was about 36 on the dealer's list. Got the call this week! Expected to go in & select options but they actually have a car sitting in the showroom with the specs and color I would order-- Fully loaded with Sports & Touring packs & a hardroof.

Now for the question: Two months ago I bought a new GTO as a daily driver that has turned out to be more impressive than I imagined-- decent German (Opel) platform, GM's best interior, plenty of space & pure muscle. Granted, it's not comparable to the Elise which is a pure sports car, has better handling and offers open top motoring, but I'm not convinced it is worth $20K more for the Elise experience, especially in flat, curve-less Florida. In the UK the GTO's brit cousin, Vauxhall Monaro VXR , retails for 5K pounds more than the Elise.

I'd be using the Elise for drives to the office (not far--12 minutes in my case) and spirited weekend motoring and occasionally a track day if I can work that into my family/work calendars.

Quick thoughts appreciated as the dealer is holding the Elise for me until tomorrow....

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
To me, it depends on lot on how much that $20k is worth to you being tied up.

And consider, that in the long run, it is not really a $20k differential because the real cost of a car includes the eventual resale. Nobody can say for sure, but I think the resale on the Elise will do very well. So a $45k Elise after 2 years might still be worth $38k, or a real cost to you of $7k.

The GTO after 2 years will most likely lose more than that.

Ignoring the costs of money being tied up, the Elise may actually be cheaper.

The other element is a very subjective one. Do you like the attention that driving the Elise will get you, that the GTO will not? Do you like having a car that is perceived as more "special" or exclusive?

As far as living where the roads are straight and flat, there are tracks and autocrosses and road trips to The Dragon. I don't think you can use all the power in the GTO either on day to day commuting.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Randy,

Not sure why you think the Elise will be worth so much after 2 years. Not saying you're wrong, but if you look at the UK, the Elise value does hold up very well, but no where near as good as you suggest. I guess the rarity value may help in the US though.

Just my 2p :cool:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Have you test driven the Elise.Getting in and out is certainly not for everyone. If you are going to ue it daily you need to try it out.
I think a test drive is the make or break for people interested in the Elise.
Also the attention you will get can be annoying as it does attracts a lot.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you are unsure, why not ask to postpone your order 'til spring

More time to assess how much you like the GTO, how bad you want the Elise

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Whether the Elise is right for you might depend on how often you can take 'fun' drives. Lately, I've been so busy that I find little time to take the car to the hills, so the only drives I'm getting in the Elise are around town. Here in Sunnyvale, roads are flat, straight, and traffic is plentiful. It gets pretty frustrating driving the Elise in these conditions, because the Elise is capable of so much, yet I can't exercise it around here.

If you love to drive, the Elise is the car for you. However, it's so darn good at that, that if you don't take it to the right roads, you may get frustrated knowing what you're missing.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
ajp33 said:
Randy,

Not sure why you think the Elise will be worth so much after 2 years. Not saying you're wrong, but if you look at the UK, the Elise value does hold up very well, but no where near as good as you suggest. I guess the rarity value may help in the US though.

Just my 2p :cool:
Exactly. Supply and demand. You have a lot more Elises (and some other cool cars for a smaller population in the UK). If someone in the UK wants a used Elise, they have a lot to choose from, including older and cheaper models.

Not here. The only used Elises will be 2005+ models. And if there is still a waiting list for cars in 2 years (with around 5000-6000 total cars imported), then I think the value should be over $35k.

But even if it is not, I bet the drop in value will still be less than that of the GTO which I have read is not selling well as a new car.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm sorry to say SJP3003, but Randy is right... the GTO is "tanking" in a large way. GM can't give them away... and they virtually are with the rebates and low interest rates. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car with good power and I looked at one myself. (Next year will have the LS2 motor with 400 horsepower.) But coupes don't generally sell well in the US.

That said, you might be better off keeping the GTO since you will lose money on it if you sell it. It will continue to depreciate at a rate (IMHO) faster than the Elise.

The Elise (again, IMHO) isn't such a great daily driver. With its Toyota driveline, it's reliable enough and has great mileage and fantastic performance, but ingress/egress is a little bit of a challenge. Maybe not for you once you've practiced it enough, but certainly for passengers who don't get into an Elise on a daily basis.

Bob

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I'd be using the Elise for drives to the office (not far--12 minutes in my case) and spirited weekend motoring and occasionally a track day if I can work that into my family/work calendars.[/B]

I would take the Elise because of the activities you mentioned:

1. You intend on using it for spirited weekend drivesl;

2. You intend on using it occassionally for track days; and

3. 1. You won't have to rely on the Elise as your sole means of transportation.

So, the Elise will more enjoyable than your other cars for number 2 and number 3. If you had planne on using the Elise stricly as a daily driver, that may would be another story.

Also, if you have to get rid of a car, I would have thought it would be between the GTO or the Maserati, since they are both GT cars, whereas the Elise is a very narrow focused sports car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you would be selling the GTO to get the Elise, you are going to lose alot selling a 2 month old car, I would guess. You could consider keeping the GTO until your original Elise order comes in. The already depreciated value of the GTO will not go down too much more in 6-8 months (relatively).

You seem to be enjoying the GTO, so let yourself. Drive the GTO, enjoy the torque, go to the drapstrip some weekend, go to an autocross in the GTO and try to squeeze in a track event with the GTO. A high torgue car can be fun at all these activities and yet will also increase your appreciation of the Elise differences when it comes a little later.

If the choice is Elise or GTO, I'd choose Elise. But your choice is one or BOTH. I'd choose both, even if that delays the Elise experience a little while....

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have driven both cars and here is my suggestion.
If you are looking for the sports car experience, you should buy the Elise. If you are looking for American Iron Quasi grand touring, you should keep the GTO. You can take some of the money saved on the Elise and buy some aftet market parts to make the GTO handle better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. My insurance carrier came through this morning with a quote for only $200 more than what I'm paying for the GTO now. I bought the Elise on the spot & will be bringing her home tomorrow. Arctic Silver on black with Touring & Sport Packs as well as the hard top.

My thanks to whomever order it-- it's the combination I probably would have confirmed. That person placed the order & then didn't step up to take delivery. The salesperson mentioned that when that happens the unit is fair game for various Lotus salespersons & the first to dial up a confirmation makes the sale. So for those who are anxiously awaiting orders and willing to consider units that become available, it pays to keep in touch with your salesperson. I confirmed Saturday morning. By Monday morning there were two other interested parties in case didn't confirm.

I did get a decent test drive of the Elise a few weeks ago. However it wasn't long enough to get the car fully warmed up & my impression was that the car felt much better at the end of the drive (shifting, acceleration) than when I set out. The demo unit I drove seemed abused: the drivers seat leather edges were worn after less than 1000 miles and the shifter balked during warm up.

I'm psyched to get a hard core sports car-- have done track days in the past (911 & Vette) and have previously lived with sport bikes, so the karting experience should be OK.

Agree the Elise may hold better value over time than the GTO. I used to work in the car business & still get the industry rags, so I was following GTO sales since June. I held off buying until September when GM and the dealers began discounting heavily as the new 400HP 2005 is just around the corner. The dealer I bought the car from had about 15 in stock and best as I could tell had only moved around 3 in 4 months. I got around $7K off the sticker so I was pleased and the difference between what I paid and what I got as a trade in was significant but bearable.

Am looking forward to the long Thanksgiving weekend in So Florida, November through March is the best time of year for open top motoring around here.

Well, back to reading the owners manual...Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts