The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gents, why wouldn't this work on our cars?

QuickJack - Ranger BL-5000 Quick Jack - Motorsports Race Jack Stands - Race Car Pit Lift - Portable Car Lift - Garage Lift - Ranger

While I'm not sure you could take the under panels off while it's up on these I'm thinking these would be perfect for tires changes and I could use it to get the car in the air and then put jack stands under it. As I have the MWR Lift Point Kit I could put stands on the inboard pegs at the rear and since the jack points at the front are inboard I'm guessing I could reach there too.

I'll do some measurements this weekend to make sure it's not too long but baring that why wouldn't this work? If you ran it down the side of the car is the frame/aluminum there strong enough for this? I do have the Sector/IMRP side skirts so I'm thinking I'd just run this down the side of the car below the skirts (again where the frame would be).

Thoughts? Given this is only $1k and my biggest complaint with the car is putting it on stands this might solve that problem at home and track.

-Ross

·
Registered
945 Posts
I don't see what you're saying about the side sills / aluminum frame. The car doesn't rest along the length of the jack. Instead you put rubber blocks (basically glorified hockey pucks) on top of the rails where the lift points for your car are, and the jack rail sits ~2" below the car.

I thought about getting one, but the jack points have to be close to in line (within the width of the jack frames) since there aren't any arms to position further inwards.

That rules that out for people without the MWR jack points, although for how comparatively cheap and awesome these look, needing the jack points would be a small price to pay...

Are the MWR points in line (or within a few inches of it) with the front jack points? Do they sit at the same height? If so, I think this would work for you.

I also don't think you use stands with one of these - there's a solid metal arm that you shift into place and lock once the jack is raised fully, and it takes the place of stands.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Only thing I'm concerned about is the balance of the car once on the stands...especially with a full tank of gas. Someone get it and report back!

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see what you're saying about the side sills / aluminum frame. The car doesn't rest along the length of the jack. Instead you put rubber blocks (basically glorified hockey pucks) on top of the rails where the lift points for your car are, and the jack rail sits ~2" below the car.
Ok, I get what you're saying - sorry, I sorta mis-saw/read the video and thought that it was flat/wide the length of the jack. I didn't see that it's an open frame in the middle where you'd need lift points front/rear.

That rules that out for people without the MWR jack points, although for how comparatively cheap and awesome these look, needing the jack points would be a small price to pay...
Agreed, for what they give you I don't see how people live without them. I added them within weeks of buying my car and as I use them every single time I lift the car I almost don't see how you put the car on stands without them. Very small price to pay.

Are the MWR points in line (or within a few inches of it) with the front jack points? Do they sit at the same height? If so, I think this would work for you.
Pretty sure the answer is yes but I'll have to take some measurements tomorrow to see.

I also don't think you use stands with one of these - there's a solid metal arm that you shift into place and lock once the jack is raised fully, and it takes the place of stands.
Agreed, I was just thinking it would be easy enough to use it to get the car on stands. But given the way I now understand it works you almost couldn't use it for that as we don't have 2 front lift points. I'll eventually do built in air jacks but that's a few seasons (bonuses) away.

Tomorrow I'm going to look it all over and measure out what we'd need and call the company to see if it could work. If it sounds like it will (and they'll offer me some sort of return policy in case it doesn't) I definitely see me ordering it.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bad idea. Not long enough to reach the correct lift points

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yeah, and if that turns out to be true you're right it most likely won't work out. I'll buzz them soon to see what the thinking is. Perhaps something could be custom adapted/fabed that wouldn't cost too much.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
Too bad really...would've been a great option!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I hate to resurrect a dead thread, but an "XL" version of the QuickJack was just released:

QuickJack BL-5000XL

This allows 59.7" block-to-block. What's the spacing from the front lift points to the RLS/MWR lift points? It seems like this might either be just long enough or painfully close

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I hate to resurrect a dead thread, but an "XL" version of the QuickJack was just released:

QuickJack BL-5000XL

This allows 59.7" block-to-block. What's the spacing from the front lift points to the RLS/MWR lift points? It seems like this might either be just long enough or painfully close
Just measured mine and the MWR to front jack point is about 68".

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Did anyone follow up on this? I'm thinking about a very simple solution of using 48" of contact on the side of the frame on both side, make so there is 8 time the surface area we normally use to jack or about 6lb/sq. in. Pressure should be low enough to be solid and work well.

Here's a deal on the web too:
Ranger QuickJack BL-3500

·
Registered
331 Posts
Portable Car lift for the Esprit

Did anyone follow up on this? I'm thinking about a very simple solution of using 48" of contact on the side of the frame on both side, make so there is 8 time the surface area we normally use to jack or about 6lb/sq. in. Pressure should be low enough to be solid and work well.

Here's a deal on the web too:
Ranger QuickJack BL-3500
Still searching for a lift solution. Ideally one that is portable (or lightweight) mid-rise for eight ft ceiling, and stable. Adaptive for suspension access would be nice too. :)

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Some good news for those who had considered the Quickjack.

First, a couple of negatives.
I was picturing this system under the front and rear lift points and it seemed to me that it wouldn't work because of the parallelogram configuration of the lifting frames. If the two units are not set up parallel to each other, then as the upper frames translate upwards, they would move closer together or farther apart, depending on which way they are oriented. I downloaded the Quickjack manual to double check my concern, which proved to be correct. The manual requires the two frames to be set up parallel within 2".

Also, someone mentioned using the frames in full contact with the chassis rail. This is specifically prohibited, you must use the rubber blocks in the upper frames trays. It is warned against on several diffent pages of the manual.

However! I also saw that the frames may be used transversely, that is, crosswise to the car. Not only does this solve the problem of the tapered chassis, but in this orientation the smallest unit has ample reach for the spacing between the lift points. A minor downside may be that you'll need a slightly wider garage workspace because the car will move laterally as it goes up.

I have a feeling they will quit making the smaller one because of the 3000 lb. capacity, which may be why it is on clearance at ASE (see titaniumdave's link above in post #13).
I ordered one from them and will report back when it arrives.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great information @luxige, appreciate the update and your thoughts. Please do post pictures and your thoughts when it arrives, and if possible a video of the car going up/down would also be great. My issue my be space/width. I have a rather small garage with a #@^$( pole in between the two bays. That pole is right at the left front tire (when the car is parked as far back to the garage door as possible). Fortunately the Exige is small as when I finished the garage I put a bench in front of the Exige and as such something much better can't fit there (and you be able to walk by it). My RS4 fit just barely, when I sell the new buyer will likely have to remove the bench. Here's what I mean, you'll see the pole (and the tire stop/pad where I park the Exige) and the bench that's in front of the nose of the Exige

garage.jpg

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I have a feeling they will quit making the smaller one because of the 3000 lb. capacity, which may be why it is on clearance at ASE (see titaniumdave's link above in post #13).
I ordered one from them and will report back when it arrives.
I guessed right.
Got an email from Driving Impressions stating that the BL3500 is discontinued and remaining stock will be sold off at clearance price. There is a replacement model slated which will be priced at $1135.

FedEx tracking says mine will get here Mon.

·
Registered
560 Posts
This I my setup. Because the Elise is so low I drive it onto the pine planks. It lives under the car. Lifts to 1500 mm. Works a treat and can be moved around, but does weigh 500 kg. Full acces to everything. The rear jacking points are onto a self made fitted jack point like the ones sold by MWR or you can simply put the rear points under the rear suspension. Total cost for me off eBay was A$2300. And I live in the remotest capital city in the world.

Attachments

·
Recreational Mechanic
833 Posts
Get an an EZCarLift instead. It's 1000x more stable than a Quickjack and much better made (Made in USA, not cheap Chinese junk). Works great with the MWR lift kit.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts