The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Less is Better
2,681 Posts
here's couple other views
Old thread, but I just bought a Quickjack. They offer a crossbar solution that is designed for exactly the purpose of non-parallel lift points. You only need one cross bar, theoretically. You can line the Quickjack up with the front lift points and used the extension in the rear. I am still on the fence on deciding to buy the bar from Quickjack or build my own as @ReDRuM did.

I watched a video of a guy with his truck on a set of Quickjacks running transversely, one on front and one on rear. He had a scary situation when lowering the truck because the uneven weight distribution of the truck lowered the front faster than the rear, tipping. That was enough to convince me NOT to do that with the Elise.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Cool . That cross bar must be a new thing they make. Easy enough to make though

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

·
Less is Better
2,681 Posts
There's not much to see. It's a 2"x1" steel tube. The pads that rest in the quickjack need to be at least 1.5" thick to clear the jack rails. The pucks are a little less than 1" thick. So the total stackup is 4.5" from the tray of the quickjack to the top of the puck that sets on the chassis. This is about equivalent to the tall pad that is supplied with the lift (which get used for the front lift points. I screwed a bolt into the bar at each pad location and have a corresponding hole in the pad/puck so they don't move around relative to the bar.

The bottom pads (the 1.5" tall ones) are spaced 34.5" apart, which is the spacing of the front jack points, and the pucks are 46.38" apart, the spacing between rear lift points.

The quickjacks are lined up with the front jack points and the bar with pads is set in the rear of the jack. This puts the quickjacks parallel with each other. My car is set just a tad under stock ride height (love those Nitrons) so I can fit everything under the car without having to drive up onto ramps. I also have a jack helper and I won't be doing anything with the car until that's supporting the rear with jack stands.

Attachments

·
Less is Better
2,681 Posts
You shouldn't use the sides of the jack to support the weight of the car. The weight should be carried by the pan of the jack. I don't think the front and middle lift points are close enough to make that work even if I wanted to do it that way.

·
Less is Better
2,681 Posts
I just wanted to note how much I like the Quickjack now that I've been able to use it for a couple of jobs. I used it to change to winter tires on my G37 yesterday and it is so nice to not have to lift one corner of the car at a time anymore. Just set up the jack, lift the car, spin off the lug nuts and reverse with the winters.

I'm also very impressed with the fact that the 5000 pound lift can lift everything from the Elise and Miata to larger cars like the G37 sedan and Subaru Outback at the correct lift points. Great tool and well worth the investment.

·
Less is Better
2,681 Posts
There's not much to see. It's a 2"x1" steel tube. The pads that rest in the quickjack need to be at least 1.5" thick to clear the jack rails. The pucks are a little less than 1" thick. So the total stackup is 4.5" from the tray of the quickjack to the top of the puck that sets on the chassis. This is about equivalent to the tall pad that is supplied with the lift (which get used for the front lift points. I screwed a bolt into the bar at each pad location and have a corresponding hole in the pad/puck so they don't move around relative to the bar.

The bottom pads (the 1.5" tall ones) are spaced 34.5" apart, which is the spacing of the front jack points, and the pucks are 46.38" apart, the spacing between rear lift points.

The quickjacks are lined up with the front jack points and the bar with pads is set in the rear of the jack. This puts the quickjacks parallel with each other. My car is set just a tad under stock ride height (love those Nitrons) so I can fit everything under the car without having to drive up onto ramps. I also have a jack helper and I won't be doing anything with the car until that's supporting the rear with jack stands.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll do some measurements this weekend to make sure it's not too long but baring that why wouldn't this work? If you ran it filezilla uc browser rufus down the side of the car is the frame/aluminum there strong enough for this? I do have the Sector/IMRP side skirts so I'm thinking I'd just run this down the side of the car below the skirts (again where the frame would be).

·
Registered
26 Posts
You're can call me crazy but here is the way I go with the quickjack:devilish:. No adapter or whatever, I am just slightly off on one lifting point. See the frame in red (I've simply took the image of me73).

I'am using the Lifting point A+B on one side and A+D on the other side.

Advantage: One frame is under the engine, supporting the rear of the car, no risk using of tilting using only A+B.

Disadvantage: Both Quickjack frames NEEDS to be PARALLEL to each other, and you cannot use the car as reference point... Ruler and floor marking are your friends;)

·
Less is Better
2,681 Posts
You're can call me crazy but here is the way I go with the quickjack:devilish:. No adapter or whatever, I am just slightly off on one lifting point. See the frame in red (I've simply took the image of me73).

I'am using the Lifting point A+B on one side and A+D on the other side.

Advantage: One frame is under the engine, supporting the rear of the car, no risk using of tilting using only A+B.

Disadvantage: Both Quickjack frames NEEDS to be PARALLEL to each other, and you cannot use the car as reference point... Ruler and floor marking are your friends;)
I have to say, that would make me really nervous. Both from the standpoint of the uneven support that could result in tilting but moreso in that if the two lifts aren't evenly loaded, the more heavily loaded one could drop first which can tilt the car. Which I wouldn't want to see as it was coming down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The first time I've lifted like that I also was very very nervous:censored: But I was surprised in the good way. I've push the car in multiple way, and it was stable. My Lotus is on the lift like that for 4 mouths now, including a lot of up/down maneuvers. I'am not saying, it's perfect solution, I just wanted to share my experience.

Here some pictures... And I also have a small inspection pit (1m50), but it's not a great idea with the Lotus, The combination of the Quickjack and pit work well better with my MX-5, when the lift is fully raised, I can stand under the car.

The worst case I had with the Quickjack, was with the MX-5. After some weeks, the pressurized air of one cylinder went away... One frame was going down much faster than the other:eek:. I've use the intermediate lock, so the faster frame has waited on the other.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, i have the Quickjack for my Lotus Exige and it works great. Took my gearbox out and in again last winter with no problems. Can try and send a picture of it jacked up tomorrow if anyone is interested

41 - 60 of 62 Posts