The Lotus Cars Community banner
41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think the green paint on the bolts (a guess here) is just a "check" by the factory workers to make sure that bolts are tight. Typically they dab a little paint on bolts after they've inspected them.

As for Loctite... you'll usually see that in the threads themselves. And (if it's the loctite red 272) you might not see threads at all as that stuff REALLY holds bolts in. I've had to use a Dremel to remove bolt heads and drill-out bolts when held-in by Loctite red...

Bob

·
Supporting Vendor
4,461 Posts
We completed our first dyno runs today on Randy's car. Because of time constraints we only ran the Quicksilver cat back system. We did the testing on a DynoJet at The Dyno Shop. The results look very encouraging. BTW: stock exhaust weighs 25.5 lbs.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Can that really be right? A 10 horsepower gain at the wheels? I sure hope so! That puts the Elise at over 200 ponies. You think you would be able to feel that in the cockpit.

For those who have driven the car both ways, did you notice the extra power?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Shinoo, did you ( or do you plan on) get/getting a baseline on Randy's stock exhaust on the same dyno before putting on the new exhaust?
Or is that graph from the SCC article?

Looks good, Im interested.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
You can never compare dyno plots and results from different Dynos. The true test will be when it's done on the same one on the same day with the same car! Although I hope it is true that your car made almost 15rwhp more then my car did on a different dyno, I'd be a monkeys uncle if true :D

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
NMRJock said:
If this result holds for a back-to-back comparison I think you'll be selling a lot of these!
But without back to back comparisons, the results aren't that meaningful...:(

·
Supporting Vendor
4,461 Posts
Yes, we still need to baseline Randy's car but did not have the time to do it today.

Some added info for you tech savy folk: We had pretty ideal temps/pressures which resulted in a very low correction factor of 1.01. The temps were 75degF and 30.03 in Hg. Gotta love that San Diego weather!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Wow

Talking
I just installed my quicksilver exhaust.

The install was simple. Took a buddy and myself a little over an hour.

I did not remove the driver's side wheel. I was able to access the driver side hanger through the rear. The perforated panel above the rear diffuser can be loosened enough to reach the bolts.

I also did not remove the driver's side hanger but only loosened it. I did remove the passenger side hanger.

The rest is as was described above.

The performance is great. The engine sounds like the car looks. It purrs at idle and roars when you hit it.

As far as a 10 pound weight loss and a 10 hp increase in power is concerned: I believe that there is a difference in performance but it is slight.

·
shay2nak
25,205 Posts
Donovan said:
Can that really be right? A 10 horsepower gain at the wheels? I sure hope so! That puts the Elise at over 200 ponies. You think you would be able to feel that in the cockpit.

For those who have driven the car both ways, did you notice the extra power?
where is it 10 hp? I see barely 2 hp increase. Isn't the first run with the stock exhaust? 2nd run: quicksilver?

ratio of baseline: 190/174.6 then you multiply that number with 176.3 to get new HP of 191.8 hp.

you cannot compare the SCC numbers with the other dyno of the stock exhaust.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
My only goal was to NOT show any power loss. The weight alone justifies the exhaust. I was just not willing to lose power because of it.

Even a small bump in power... or a flattening of the curve, is fine.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
shay2nak said:
where is it 10 hp? I see barely 2 hp increase. Isn't the first run with the stock exhaust? 2nd run: quicksilver?

ratio of baseline: 190/174.6 then you multiply that number with 176.3 to get new HP of 191.8 hp.

you cannot compare the SCC numbers with the other dyno of the stock exhaust.
Both runs were the Quicksilver, they did not have time to do the stock as well.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,461 Posts
Power output on modern engines can vary +/- 5%. I suspect Randy got one of the + cars. We'll know after we test it in stock trim.

Ben,
Glad to hear your install went quicker than ours. I get another chance tomorrow as I help another EliseTalker install his Quicksilver. Wonder if the Ferrari pit crew could use my wrenching services? :D

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
reganfin-thanks for your post. I thought it entirely possible to just loosen the drivers side, but then again I might need to have the turning power to separate the pipe. Did you have trouble with that? Mine's a bear to get apart. How did you do it?

·
Registered
653 Posts
quicksilver

The muffler fit is tight but it can be wiggled. One of us pulled the muffler toward the passenger side and twisted at the same time while the other beat the heck out of the old muffler with a heavy rubber mallett. It came off in about 2 minutes.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,461 Posts
Ben found the key trick to this install. Just loosen the hangar bolts on the driver side. DO NOT REMOVE THEM! You can wiggle the exhaust out. Completely undo the passenger side hangar and unbolt the stock exhaust. Use WD40 liberally on the connection joint.

We just did it in 1 hr. We did remove the rear driver wheel to loosen the hanger bolts. We could not move his perforated panels enough to comfortably loosen the bolts.

A 2.5" U-clamp will work fine.

41 - 60 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.