The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is better than coming back from Thanksgiving vacation to find your exhaust has arrived? How about your new exhaust is installed on the car by a friend who is watching the house for me! Yes, it was done properly. After about 70 miles on it I must say I am very happy with it. I think it's a little quieter at cruising speed than the stock exhaust. In my neigborhood I had no problems driving quiet. When your foot gets heavy it does get loud but it absolutely fits the car. A friend said it sounded a lot like a Ferrari. Well, thanks Shinoo for the great product.

Here's a few pics too:::

Attachments

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As with any new exhaust, a little bit more cleaning while it burns off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last one...You obviously can't see the exhaust but I thought the lighting made the car look odd.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's with the sign that says "Fart Can"?
You've got me. Andre has a odd sense of humour and apparently a lot of spare time.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,797 Posts
I heard it today and want one. Badly.

How much again? :(

·
Supporting Vendor
4,440 Posts
MickOpalak said:
I heard it today and want one. Badly.
How much again? :(
We'll be selling a slightly used QS that came off of Randy's car for $550. Contact me at shinoo 'at' sector111.com if you want it. First one to email me, gets it...

·
shay2nak
25,128 Posts
shinoo said:
We'll be selling a slightly used QS that came off of Randy's car for $550. Contact me at shinoo 'at' sector111.com if you want it. First one to email me, gets it...
what Randy replacing the QS with?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I will have to get one of those exhausts. So is it about the same loudness at idle and mid-range RPMs as stock and louder at high RPMs? Does it provide any power increase?

I will dyno my car before and after exhaust installation.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
shay2nak said:
what Randy replacing the QS with?

Another QS. I run in SCCA locally with sound restrictions of 93dB at 50 feet. The present QS is right about there, and on some runs, on some days... I will violate the sound restrictions. Continuing to do so will cause me to be banned from competing.

QS has created a new muffler called the QS track which is a little quieter at WOT. We should be putting it on this week and testing it on Saturday at Cal Speedway.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Mine is louder than stock at all times, but it did finally calm down just a little in 2000 miles. I love it, but don't face any sound scrutiny here on the east coast at autoXs. I wonder if they'll be testing at Nationals? I don't plan on going anytime soon, but someday I will and don't want problems.

I look forward to more dyno testing. We have one set of comparison results; another would be nice.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Are there any sound files for the exhaust other than the one on the Sector111 site? I'd like to hear it from outside the car, maybe a car approching and then passing the microphone. Apparently this exhaust is offered as a dealer option at Fox Valley, not sure how much they are charging for it though.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,440 Posts
We just received a QS 'Track' today. It will go on Randy's car and we will test this weekend for sound levels. In fact we plan to do some sound testing with a nationally recognized sound engineer (Mikester ;) ) at the AutoX.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are there any sound files for the exhaust other than the one on the Sector111 site?
Im headed out in 30 minutes to go for a drive. I'm booting up the Chasecam (with microphone) so Ill send them to Randy when I get home. I'm curious to see how it compares with all the other video I've taken before the exhaust change.

Regarding how much louder it is than stock:

At idle I'd say it's very close to the same. I let my car idle for a few minutes in the driveway and when I got in it I was surprised how quiet it was. A lot of the sound that was in the car, from the engine, is now escaping out the back.
At part throttle, meaning cruising through my neighborhood and town, the car is quieter than I was expecting. I don't have any fear of getting complaints or being pulled over.
3/4 to WOT it's a different story. It sounds like it should. When you hit cams, look out! It sounds like it wants to lift off the ground. Not annoying at all. It will make you want to drop it down a gear just for the sound.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
How about cruising on the highway? Some folks have mentioned it is louder than stock there, and that the drone can get to you after a while. How does it sound to you in this situation?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't noticed any drone. I've been in cars that had exhausts that did drone and I couldn't stand it. In 6th gear at part throttle, say going up hill, you do hear some exhaust note but I certainly wouldn't call it a droning sound. Talking in the car while cruising in any gear doesn't mean you have to raise your voice. My passenger today, said he could deal with this exhaust every day without question.

Randy, I am sending you a few videos of todays drive. Can you post a link on this thread? The recording sounds louder than I thought it would but keep in mind the microphone sits behind the back seat so its a bit deceiving. My windows were up and the soft top was on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So does this QS Track model weigh any more than the original -- are they using extra mass to provide more sound deadening? If so, how much more does it weigh? Thanks.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,440 Posts
I just weighed the QS 'Track' model and it weighs about 15.2lbs. That is about half a pound more than the std QS.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Shinoo,

When is the next batch of QS (non-track) due to arrive? I placed my order a week ago so I'm just curious if I'll be in your next batch and when I might expect it. I can't wait!

Thanks.

-Dave
'05 Lotus Elise (BRP, Touring, Hardtop)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts