The Lotus Cars Community banner
301 - 320 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm surprised at how many would are ok adding weight to the car when so much is done to reduce it.
Different horses for different courses. I use mine as a commuter car for more than an hour each day, so smoothing out some of the rough edges of the elise is definitely worth it for me. I could easily get a more comfortable, quiet car for the commute, but I doubt I could get a car that makes me smile more.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I think you may have misunderstood... I am surprised how many on here want to add weight. Not that I disagree with the notion. I was just surprised. I have a sub-woofer and went from light CF seats back to heavier Probax seats. Both added weight. Nothing wrong with a few pounds to make the car more enjoyable.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
for most people, spending all their money to reduce a few lbs of weight with blingy CF parts really doesn't make a whole lot of difference other then posing factor.

Adding a few lbs of sound insulation makes a huge difference in some people's enjoyment driving around normal roads. Esp when you are doing a weekend drive with your significant other who may not appreciate hearing every rattle and exhaust drone. I doubt even the Stig can't feel the difference in handling on the track with the few lbs added. If one really feel the need to remove weight, go take a dump before you go drive and maybe eat a few less burgers.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My Elise noise level definitely is in the loud side. But it is part of my driving experience. Depending on my mood, sometimes I enjoy it and other times it gives me a headache.

For a temporary noise relief I keep a couple of disposable earplugs and I've also tried noise canceling headphones.

For those that have done sound deadening solutions, have you regret doing it so?

Currently running sector111's track pipes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
at least for me, there is really no downside. As long as you only apply it to strategic areas, it just takes out that tin can feel out of driving the car. You can still hear the induction noise and exhaust plenty, just less of the road noise.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree. The road noise is what I found tiring (ha!) and the crashing sound going over minor potholes and lane divider dots. I don't regret it the sound deadening for a minute, just makes the car more enjoyable.

It is amazing what a little dynamat on the access panel and MLV under the seats can do to the feel of the car. Should have come from the factory like that IMHO.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Updates?

Folks, any updates... improvements? Is it worth doing the inner wheel wells or doors. Any other finds sealing off leaks, noises and rattles?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I recently put the deamplifier under the seats, against the firewall and a few scattered pieces on the gas tank area.... thing. Also placed luxury liner under the seats and the place under the shelf.

Just that addition made a significant difference in the resonance, road noise and chaos in the cab. It didn't necessarily help with the droning exhaust noises but having a VF supercharger, decat and exhaust, I think that just comes with the territory. Even though the exhaust noise wasn't eliminated, I feel like it did help. Instead of straining to have a convo at 60mph, I can talk at a normal level and be heard.

I unfortunately haven't gotten to do the diffuser and under tray of the car yet. I have the material, just lacking the motivation :scratchhead:

The additions I made reduced the noise orgy in the cab and helped with the clangy, tin can noise of the car going over bumps, and I suspect doing the under tray and diffuser will even further improve the feel of the car.

Overall a worthwhile improvement. A lot of work, but worth it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
interesting thread. thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I decided to contribute my 2 cents.
I've found my exige S to be too noisy. and not the good kind of noisy. but the rattling/poor quality/metal box in a washing machine noisy. and I've decided to see whether I can reduce some of the noise down.

I've used Decibel 10th app for iphone to measure sound level before the modifications, and after.

here's what I've found:
- i have installed vibration damper (second skin - damplifier pro) and noise barrier under the seats (second skin - luxury liner pro), and on part of the firewall.
zero changes in Decible 10th app. used the same road, same driving conditions, same hour of the day. (its the route I take every morning).

next, I went after the belly pan and door skins.
I have installed damplifier pro, luxury liner pro, and foamly wall panels inside the door skins.
I've used damplifier pro, and mat spray on the belly pan.

Decible 10th show decrease from 100db to 92db.

the car feels way more civilized. the rattling noise is gone. you can hear mostly the exhaust, some engine noise, and wind noise on highway speeds.
it was also clearly noticeably by my family whenever I call them while driving, they can finally hear me clearly.

color me impressed.

products used:
-second skin - damplifier pro - VIBRATION DAMPERS - CLD - Damplifier Pro? - Second Skin Audio
-second skin - luxury liner pro - Luxury car quiet with our noise insulation products Luxury Liner? Luxury Liner Pro? | Second Skin Audio, Made in the USA.
- Design Engineering boom mat spray - Amazon.com: DEI 050220 Boom Mat Spray-on: Automotive
- Foamly - Acoustic Foam Sound Absorption Pyramid Studio Treatment Wall Panels - [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0153UCKGS[/ame]

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased an elise that had dynamat (or something similar) installed. That and carpet/alcantara. Before I purchased the car I'd thought of it as a drawback and had planned on removing it. After I drove it, I really liked it. I doubt it adds more than 20lbs and it's quieter than my gen 1 miata. Still quick.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise Nightfall Blue
47 Posts
Thread revival! This thread is amazing, and has been ongoing for 10 years: crazy! Anyways, rather than start a new thread, I figured I would revive this one, and discuss my journey to quiet down my car. Plus there are some updates: Second Skin now offers the "Mega Zorbe" Melamine open cell foam for sound absorption. I can only assume this product was not offered when this thread was started, since it's the preferred product to use in the doors and on the roof. My car has a sagging headliner on the hard top, so I'm planning on applying Mega Zorbe to the roof when I re-do the headliner. I will also use it in the doors.

The car: 2005 Lotus Elise, currently coming up on 58k miles. It has the Sport and Touring packages and Hard Top. I don't really know what the hard top insulation is like in touring vs. non-touring, but I can tell you there's hardly anything there with what I assume is a touring hard top. The car has four of the grey sound damping mat underneath the seats and floor mats - I saw some previous comments that suggested some people don't have all 4 of the factory grey sound damping mats, even in other touring pack cars. My car has them.

About me and my use case: My tinnitus gets aggravated even with sounds other people don't mind, so I knew the Elise was going to be pushing it, hence why getting a car with the touring pack was really important to me. I've only had the car a week, and I know it's still too loud for the kind of driving I enjoy the most:
1: 100-200 mile long casual drives on public roads around my area with friends or solo (I want more sound damping for this case)
2: longer weekend or week long "touring" drives of 500 miles or more (I want more sound damping for this case even more!)
3: Autocross, competitively on a local level (no plans to do national at this time) (I want less weight, don't care about sound damping)
4: Track days, not competitively (Don't really care about either, since I'm not doing timed events and will be using earplugs, regardless)

Thus, I want the car to be significantly quieter, but it would be nice to remove the heaviest pieces for Autocross. Also I like a factory/stock look, so it's good to be able to hide what I put in for the most part.

Where I'm at now: I already ordered a few sheets of material from Second Skin: Damplifier, Luxury Liner Pro, Overkill, and Mega Zorbe. I also downloaded two apps on my android phone to chase down sounds: Sound Meter to get a rough estimate on the dB level, and Audizr to trace down the loudest frequencies and compare progress over time. For baseline, I will compare the measurements from my Elise to my 2015 VW Golf TDI. The TDI is a fairly quiet car. Not loud at all when cruising down the highway, but there is a small amount of wind noise beyond what I would expect from a car like a BMW or Lexus. The Elise in it's current state is "fine" but could be better. My main goal is to make the Elise quieter at highway cruising speeds (80mph), so this is the test condition I will be comparing at.

Without further ado, here's my initial assessment (unless otherwise specified, I will be using the same stretch of concrete road at 80mph for all measurements):
VW: ~70dB
Elise: ~78dB

Perception wise, the Elise is much louder than the VW. Based on how things sound, I would like to shave ~3dB off the noise in the Elise, which should be cutting the sound intensity approximately in half. I am more focused on higher freuency sounds (wind, road noise) than lower frequency sounds (engine), simply because I find them more irritating, and they should be easier to manage. Low frequencies are more energetic and thus need more mass to attenuate. If someone really wanted to quiet the car down, the best bet would probably be having a custom exhaust made which uses a more traditional muffler since the stock Elise exhaust is pretty loud to begin with, at least as compared to most passenger cars.

So let's talk frequencies: The faded line is the VW, the solid line is the Elise. The line represents the average measurement over 30 seconds of steady state driving. The thicker shaded areas represent real-time data, which is not really important for this analysis, so best to just ignore it and look at the average line.
Oscilloscope Text Line Electronics Technology

The peak frequency in the Lotus is the engine. That's for sure. I did some other testing, plus you can multiply out the frequency of 129Hz and it calculates to 3,875rpm, which is approximately correct for 6th gear at 80mph. I don't know why the VW has a peak at 141Hz. It's a TDI, so the engine RPM is much lower, maybe around 2krpm. Assume it's half the Elise and it would be 65Hz. Since there's no peak around 65Hz on the graph, I assume it's outside of the sensitivity band of the microphone on my phone.

In any case, I was originally thinking of just doing the floors, doors, and roof, and not doing the firewall because my perception is that the engine noise is not as annoying. However, looking at this graph it's clear that if I want to protect my ears (not just percieve less annoying sounds) then I should really add something to the big aluminum drum that is the firewall. I'm now thinking of using Damplifier Pro here (the thicker, 2mm version of Damplifier) as I think the damplifier is relatively low weight, and this is probably the area it will be most effective. I will wait to order this until after I get the other stuff in hand and have a bit more experience with it (IE: How heavy is it actually).

Putting all this together, I plan on doing the floor in Luxury Liner Pro first. This should be both the easiest area to install/remove, and the most effective at reducing the high frequency road noise. I will then play around with the other areas to get an idea of next steps (In particular, I want to just throw the Mega Zorbe in the passenger's seat and go for a drive to see how effective it is before installing it anywhere).

Having said that, you can also see from this graph that there's a "plateau" of noise from the 129Hz peak extending out to just under 2000Hz. I believe that is mostly wind noise, and then beyond that is mostly the "white noise" from the road all the way up to 10000Hz. I'm not sure why the graph sharply rises at 10000Hz - that is an artifact of my phone, as can be seen in the "quiet" graph below (which was taken in my house with as quiet conditions as possible). The general downward slope everywhere else is also an artifact of my phone:
Green Line Oscilloscope Technology Wave

Ultimately, this is why I used the VW as a baseline. If you just looked at the graph you wouldn't know what's "loud" and what's "quiet" - at least I wouldn't. I need something to compare it against, and furthermore, I need to get an idea of what frequency ranges need the most work.

I plan on updating this thread as I install the material and do various tests.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Thanks for reviving the thread and sharing what you’re doing!

One suggestion... when I first adding damping and sound barrier, I didn’t realize how much weight it’d add. Added a bunch then removed a lot of it. I found the most effective areas are using sound barrier (not just damping sheet) in the floor pan areas (footwell and under seats), and the stock foam in the firewall (which I assume you have with the touring pack). Some damping sheet in my doors might help but can’t say for sure. If you cut the floor pan damping to fit well, you can just have it rest under the carpets and pull it out for track days. I found damping I put other places didn’t seem to do a whole lot.

Looking foward to what you find!

·
Administrator
8,283 Posts
Don't forget your belly pans. Search and you find those that had success in placing sound deadening pads at various spots on belly pan as it can resonate plus another layer between you and road/engine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@MTribe yeah, that was my impression - floor pan with the Luxury Liner Pro product (or equivalent) will be the most bang for the buck, and also the easiest to remove for track use. Sitting in a big stiff, aluminum chassis there's only so much we can do to make the car quieter. My first pass with Audizr shows that the most intense sound waves are the exhaust from the engine, which will be nearly impossible to reasonably quiet down simply based on how the car is designed: I don't want to cover all of that beautiful exposed aluminum chassis interior with heavy sound blocking foam! My perception is the road and wind noise are more "annoying" anyways and the road noise in particular should be more managable. The wind noise will be coming through door and window seams and the glass itself, all of which are much more difficult to attenuate. My hope is that by using Mega Zorbe (something which has not been mentioned even once on this forum according to my search results) in the doors, on the hardtop, and possibly under the dash and/or behind the seats, that will have a big effect that has previously been unrealized. Plus the Mega Zorbe should be pretty light weight, and especially on the hardtop and behind the seats: easy to remove for a track day.

@Catsailr27 - You're talking specifically about the undertray/diffusuer/engine cover, correct? I did see that people had good results putting Damplifier on those panels, and possibly the one around the front suspension as well? I suspect this won't have much of an impact on the steady-state 80mph road noise, but it sounds like it has a big effect on the "crash" from road bumps and the like. I plan on trying it and reporting back, but only after I do some of the other stuff.

I'm getting new tires tomorrow (Yokohama A052 vs the 4 year old Bridgestone RE-71Rs currently on the car) which will make a difference, so I'll have to baseline the Elise again. Should be getting the stuff from Second Skin next week.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@MTribe - one more thing: The first Elise I ever drove was a 2006 Lotus Sport Elise, like yours. That drive was what made me realize I wanted the touring pack. It was 10 years ago and I remember it being pretty loud. Hard to have a conversation in the car loud. Stereo useless loud. I was in college at the time, driving a race car on the regular, and still thought it was too loud for my tastes. 10 years later and in my 30's now, and I'm only that much more sensitive to loud cars.

Also, I see in your signature you have a 135i - I sold my 135i to make room in my garage for the Elise. My VW is similarly quiet on the interior overall to the 135i, with only slightly more wind noise.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
302 Posts
I’m sure this has been suggested before (sorry didn’t read whole thread), but what about Airpods pro, or other noise canceling earbuds? Unless that’s too uncomfortable for long durations. Much cheaper and lighter though.

301 - 320 of 351 Posts