The Lotus Cars Community banner
341 - 351 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise Nightfall Blue
47 Posts
@chiarov I highly recommend the adhesive-backed Overkill foam to reduce/eliminate rattles/squeaks. I did my entire center console tunnel area and it made a pretty big difference. I did some parts of the dash (just the contact points between the parts). I also think that there's a lot of opportunity with the gauge cluster housing, but it's a lot of odd shapes and I didn't have the adhesive backed overkill foam, and was feeling too lazy to to do it with the spray adhesive, so I haven't done it yet myself.

the "access panel" in question I believe is the undertray panel underneath the engine. Aka: an access panel for oil changes, etc. I believe someone also identified a similar panel at the front of the car.

The nice thing about doing the floor and the firewall (under the carpet in both areas) is that you can easily remove these parts for a track day, and they are also some of the largest (heaviest) pieces you will install.

As for a comment about weight: It's only a 1-2% change, tops, to the mass of the vehicle, and placed as low as possible for the most part. As far as I'm concerned, it's a nice ballast I can keep in for practice, and remove on race day to get a little advantage when it counts. At least that's my take on it. I'll be leaving all the sound deadening material in for every event I do that isn't for points. I'll take floor mats and firewall material out when racing for points, and if I ever get real serious (unlikely, but possible) I'll remove it from some of the other areas, as well. But, I also don't believe that small differences in power/weight ratios make or break a race unless you're performing at the highest level in your class, so it's not really a priority for me. Everyone has different objectives/priorites, though, so your mileage (or sound deadening) may vary.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,811 Posts
I used a lot of the advice in this thread (thank you all) and managed to see an approx 3-5 decibel improvement with the following:
  • Luxury Liner Pro under seat carpets (leave existing OEM dampener stuck to the floor)
  • Luxury Liner Pro under floor mats (leave existing OEM dampener stuck to the floor)
  • Small strip of Damplifier Premium along lower edge of gas tank behind the seats
  • Damplifier Premium square on rear diffuser
  • Damplifier Premium on lower aluminum "middle" access panel
  • Damplifier Premium on shear panel (not shown in video)
  • Damplifier Premium on front aluminum access panel
I didn't do anything to the firewall behind the seats because 1) I still want to hear the engine 2) car has the touring package already so there is insulation there and 3) it looked like too much work for too little reward.

Overall the car is much more enjoyable to drive long distances now and still sounds plenty good. The philosophy mentioned in this thread was a good one...eliminate the bad noises but keep the good ones.

I think if I continue to eliminate noise, my next steps would be to:
  1. Adjust the windows to reduce the wind noise
  2. Add some sound deadening inside the doors
  3. Maybe figure out a way to do some sound management in the wheel arch liners
But given the improvement so far, I'm not in any rush to do those!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I did exactly the same except no damplifier on gas tank area and put some luxury liner with a decoupler under the stock foam on the firewall. Is damplifier premium different from damplifier pro? Won't be driveable for a month or so but I'll take some measurements then.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Hmm, I am not sure to be honest. This is the one I bought but I don't see "Damplifier Premium" anywhere on the Second Skin official site so maybe just different branding?! https://amzn.to/3aawGC2

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great video! I haven't done the diffuser yet - did it seem like that made a big difference?

One comment: When I did the luxury liner under the seat, I didn't like how much pressure it was applying to the floor pan. The floor pan in that area is just a thin piece of aluminum sheet metal, so I would worry about applying a constant stress on it for an extended period of time. The passenger's seat is so low, there's barely enough room for the carpet to fit between the seat and the floor. The drivers seat being on rails is a little higher. I think I still shaved down the luxury liner but not as much as the passenger's side. Just something to consider.

As for the "premium" vs "pro" - not sure specifically, but this is how they specify different thicknesses. I think Damplifier is 1mm thick, and damplifier pro is 2mm thick. You can also double-layer the regular damplifier to get 2mm for nearly the same effect. I had done that in some areas.

And finally - I really liked the effect of the MegaZorb behind the firewall carpet. It does a good job of absorbing the echos within the cabin, making everything much more pleasant, even if it doesn't really make it that much quieter. I would recommend this as an upgrade that weighs almost nothing.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Right. I used the 1 mm damplifier. I bought that same box after watching Chiarov's video on the sway bar bushing (which is what got me started down the sound management rabbit hole).

I misspoke on the seats. I thought the luxury liner would be too thick so I used the thinnest foam decoupler together with the thinnest mass loaded vinyl. There is air (not much!) between the carpet and the seat pan. In the footwell, I covered 100% with just a hole for the carpet button grommets. Thought I would need extended length carpet buttons, but the OEM ones grab fine.

Great video!

And the MegaZorb sounds interesting. Next Winter!

Reactions: chiarov

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
@Kevin Michael sorry that my video sent you down the rabbit hole! Hopefully you aren't becoming too OCD about the various noises. Although I really had no experience in this area prior to this, I do feel like I've learned a ton through the process. But now I've noticed some odd rattles and squeaks from the rear seats of my 911 but at least I have the confidence to tackle those now whereas before I probably wouldn't have. (Hopefully video coming soon on that!)

Per the comment above on the materials under the seat. I didn't notice any clearance issues or undue pressure on the aluminum floor under the seats. The seat rails do elevate the seats slightly so they aren't reading directly on the carpets. For example, on the drivers side my seat doesn't appear to "drag" on the carpet as I move it back and forth. @atmh do you have the stock seats and stock rails?

·
Registered
485 Posts
No worries. I enjoyed the sound project.

Krule's thread on his suspension refresh put me on a much more time consuming project. But that's been fun too. Although I am looking forward to being done with that soon as Spring comes to New England. I think quite a few of us were inspired this year to do that work. I'll bet Fred sold a record number of FRAP balljoints, bushings and wheel bearings. (And he is awesome with turn-around time and helpful support.)

I too feel I know a lot more about my car now.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Bose noise reducing earbuds.....

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The earbuds add about three ounces, but the increased weight is rather high up in the car.

Reactions: 3X163

·
Registered
47 Posts
@chiarov sorry I just saw this post! Must have missed it two months ago!

Anyways yeah I have stock seats in my 2005 with the touring package. Obviously every car is different, so good thing to check, but not shocked to hear that your car may not have had the same issue. :)

Also lol yeah I totally hear more noises in my other vehicles now and I'm like "hmm, I could fix that"

341 - 351 of 351 Posts