The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’ve got an Elise 220 (2020) with a standard exhaust but its really loud, it sounds like a sports exhaust. I’d really like to quieten this down somehow but its proving really difficult to find options to do this. can anyone offer any suggestions?
Cheers.

·
Administrator
12,659 Posts
First time I've ever seen somebody say OEM was too loud.

• Haha
Reactions: Chemgee and JMack77

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
some exhaust shops can add inserts that supposedly drop sound by 3-5db There's been discussion on here about them for low-sound tracks (Laguna and LRP come to mind)

But - a lot of the sound issues in Elise is the lack of insulation. Have you thought about adding some sound deadening to the floor and bulkhead?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, no its not the sound insulation, its definately the exhaust. I previously owned an older s3 and I can see that some people may want it louder but for me it was fine. But this exhaust is multiple times louder, way more than a slight increase. The bass is huge and I find it impossible to live with. Before I bought it I was assured I could fit an older s3 exhaust on but I’ve just found out I cant. Silly of me for trusting them and not researching it.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
First time I've ever seen somebody say OEM was too loud.
To be fair, the original Janspeed sport exhaust was an obnoxious droning beastie if I remember correctly. I don't think that company has ever made anything better than a boat anchor. I had a Larini SE unit that I loved!

·
Administrator
12,659 Posts
To be fair, the original Janspeed sport exhaust was an obnoxious droning beastie if I remember correctly. I don't think that company has ever made anything better than a boat anchor. I had a Larini SE unit that I loved!
True it did drone but loudness and drone can be two different things. OP mentioned it being too loud but didn't say if it droned.

·
Administrator
12,659 Posts
Hi,
I’ve got an Elise 220 (2020) with a standard exhaust but its really loud, it sounds like a sports exhaust. I’d really like to quieten this down somehow but its proving really difficult to find options to do this. can anyone offer any suggestions?
Cheers.
You may want to check with SELOC and TLF as well since LT is US centric and our Elise last year was 2011. Both of them being UK based would have more firsthand knowledge.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have no idea what comes on the 2020 Elise 220 s3. For all we know, it could be similar to the oem stage 2 exhausts that we got on our federal s2 elises...and those were drony and loud.

With that said, I don't see why the base oem s2 Elise wouldn't fit. It looks like you have a lower diffuser exit on your year. Those s2 mufflers are cheap, heavy, and relatively quiet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've literally just heard back from a Lotus dealer here that they can just put the backbox from the older S3 exhaust onto mine and that will work. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I've literally just heard back from a Lotus dealer here that they can just put the backbox from the older S3 exhaust onto mine and that will work. Does that sound right?
We're not as familiar with the s3's in this forum. But generally speaking, the heavier the muffler, the quieter it'll be. There's some stuff you might be able to do inside the cabin that'll help further. Plenty of threads on that in here. I'm sure the sound deadening methods would be similar.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
True it did drone but loudness and drone can be two different things. OP mentioned it being too loud but didn't say if it droned.
The "bass" = droning

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Administrator
12,659 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, it does drone, paticularly at 2k revs and 3k revs. But it's also way too loud and bassy all the time. I been driving through villages this morning at about 6am and it's too loud, I have to drive through in 6th gear at about 1600 revs just to keep it down. Anyway, if the above works that will work fine, I'm just getting quotes on that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts