Discussion Starter #1
I may use these on my Exige to hold down the hatch/liftgate
instead or in conjunction with the factory lock. The hinges would
be retained.

I searched around and came up with nothing for an Exige, however
I did find a few examples of these on an Elise. It was used in place of the
factory keyed lock.

I want the hatch to be more stable. It moves side to side nearly without any
effort. I don't know why Lotus did not address this glaring issue.

My proposal is to use two on either side of the hatch positioned approximately in line with the factory lock. The only issue is the hatch is not a flat surface so mounting may be
a problem in the sense that it may not seat (i.e. be flush) properly.

This is the smallest size called the mini-latches:
https://www.quik-latch.com/black-anodized-mini-quik-latch.html

Fun fact: These are used on the 2020 Mustang GT500 to secure the hood. The larger size is used however. https://www.quik-latch.com/QL-50-Series-Hood-Pin_Series.html

-Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
749 Posts
I was going to attempt this but abandoned the project because I wasn't convinced a latch mount could be made that would not also, over time, damage/crack the clam. Not to say it hasn't been done.

If you haven't bought your latches yet I could sell you mine. Brand new, never installed. I have two of their matte black non locking latches.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I actually have been thinking about using these for either the access panels or some of the clam mounting points (like under the front bridge or by the rear scoops). I am using the aerocatch for the trunk lid and absolutely love it, but, as you noted, it is an Elise.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I actually have been thinking about using these for either the access panels or some of the clam mounting points (like under the front bridge or by the rear scoops). I am using the aerocatch for the trunk lid and absolutely love it, but, as you noted, it is an Elise.
Those would be pretty easy to install on the access panels, I bet.

On my Elise, I've shed the hinges and latch and use 3 of these things. Instead of propping the trunk up on the prop, I prop it against the wall or lay it on the ground. (not to used a daily driver)

·
Premium Member
502 Posts

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I used to use a single aerocatch in the rear. It was positioned under where the rear center mesh used to be. Worked really well.

I also use quick latches for the side scoop and my new single skin hatch, they're great

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Are there any systems like this that exist for our roofs?
The roof problem is there is nothing to attach to at the front. I use two quick latches at the rear which go to two pieces of L shaled aluminum bolted to the rear clam + two ratchet straps to the visor mounts in the front. I am not super happy with this, but I will get a cage sooner or later and redo it then.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
The roof problem is there is nothing to attach to at the front. I use two quick latches at the rear which go to two pieces of L shaled aluminum bolted to the rear clam + two ratchet straps to the visor mounts in the front. I am not super happy with this, but I will get a cage sooner or later and redo it then.
I want pictures!

My aftermarket CF roof requires three different tools to remove. Metric socket, torx bit, Allen wrench. It's horrible.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is how i deleted my trunk lid wire and replaced it with an Aerocatch.
Pictures are made during the install, so they are not "pretty" ;)

I would like to fix the front clam with 4 Aerocatch, too the normal procedure is way to annoying with all that screws and spacers..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
@ManuelG1986 thanks for the pics. Looks easy enough.

Where did you get the extra mesh to cover the sides?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is how i deleted my trunk lid wire and replaced it with an Aerocatch.
Pictures are made during the install, so they are not "pretty" ;)

I would like to fix the front clam with 4 Aerocatch, too the normal procedure is way to annoying with all that screws and spacers..
Does water get past the aerocatch? Are there seals?
It looks like an area where water may pool.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am considering this option. Can you
tell me which parts you used and if you had to
fabricate something or make it 'work'? The more I look
at your pictures the more it becomes appealing.
Is it tricky to fit your hand in the cavity and pull up the
latch? It looks like a tight fit.

Does the hatch feel more secure than as stock? Mine
wobbles from side to side easily with little hand pressure
and in turn the wing is wobbles as well.
-Robert

1 - 17 of 17 Posts