The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Criswell Lotus out of Gathersburg,MD quoted me 9 hours to replace the resistor pack for the AC fan which requires removal of the front clam. Does anybody else think that is insane?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I think thats what it says is in the service manual. If it takes 2 guys an hour to take off then another 2 guys an hour to put on - then you got 4 hours in getting that clam off and on then 3 hours to do the work.

Honestly, it sounds reasonable to me.

Edit! My math is wack...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess Euro Classics near Richmond,VA is giving me a helluva deal then. They just quoted me $350 installed to replace the resistor pack and drill the holes so that water doesn't pool up near it.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I think thats what it says is in the service manual. If it takes 2 guys an hour to take off then another 2 guys an hour to put on - then you got 4 hours in getting that clam off and on then one hour to do the work.

Honestly, it sounds reasonable to me.

But that's only 5 hours. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Criswell Lotus out of Gathersburg,MD quoted me 9 hours to replace the resistor pack for the AC fan which requires removal of the front clam. Does anybody else think that is insane?
Sounds like a little bit of bill padding to me:D(not illegal though). I would think an experienced tech could easily do it in 4 hrs. A good tech can make a nice living by beating the "book time" on jobs. Do it in 4 and get paid for 9:up: on the other hand they sometimes do it in 9 and get paid for 4:shrug:. The dealership doesn't have to quote per the book time either. You just have to keep them honest by shopping the figure and then asking if they would be willing to do it for a set figure that you feel is fair. All they can say is no..
Why don't you do it yourself? If you go to the sandsmuseum.com(I think that's right) they give step by step instructions. Or it might be listed somewhere on this site. Guys??

·
Registered
992 Posts
That's low!!

I was there last week, and they quoted me MANY MORE HOURS. I asked 3 times to make sure I had the figure right. I think I spoke to Bruce... that sound familiar? He walked me in the back to show me a clam they were working on to justify the hours.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Like Perry said, it's not uncommon to charge for more time than it will actually take and I don't have a huge problem with that, but it should be within reason. Charging double is not honest business practice IMO.
E-X-A-C-T-L-Y !!!!! Just do it yourself. Have some fun and learn a bit about your car.. Then you can stop back in and tell "Bruce" "wow, I did it in 3 hours with a friend, that's so weird, why would it take me less time at home?".... I would love to be there to hear his comeback..
It's really not that hard. Even if you take an entire saturday and have to feed beers and hot dogs to some Lotus friends it would be better than paying, what $1,500 in labor?? You could even afford to bribe a fellow Elie/Exige owner with "Lotus parts" if they were to give you a hand.
You could even announce a tech day at your house. Plenty of us would love to see how it is removed and see how TRICK the car actually looks with it off in person.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I could handle removing the clam looking at the instructions on the sands museum page but replacing the resistor pack, I'm not exactly sure how to do or where to drill the holes so that water doesn't cause this to happen again.

At any rate, the Richmond dealer quoted $350 total for the job. They must be really fast!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I think I could handle removing the clam looking at the instructions on the sands museum page but replacing the resistor pack, I'm not exactly sure how to do or where to drill the holes so that water doesn't cause this to happen again.

At any rate, the Richmond dealer quoted $350 total for the job. They must be really fast!
...Or they've never done it before and don't know what they're getting into... :eek:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
...Or they've never done it before and don't know what they're getting into... :eek:
That happens.. Or they had a tech that took forever to do it once.. I have seen some weird stuff happen in the last 7 yrs in the service dept...
Like the tech that was trying to install the wiper blades on an unsold new RS4. Wiper arm slipped out of his hand and it cracked the windshield. :wallbang:

·
Registered
992 Posts
E-X-A-C-T-L-Y !!!!! Just do it yourself. Have some fun and learn a bit about your car.. Then you can stop back in and tell "Bruce" "wow, I did it in 3 hours with a friend, that's so weird, why would it take me less time at home?".... I would love to be there to hear his comeback..
It's really not that hard. Even if you take an entire saturday and have to feed beers and hot dogs to some Lotus friends it would be better than paying, what $1,500 in labor?? You could even afford to bribe a fellow Elie/Exige owner with "Lotus parts" if they were to give you a hand.
You could even announce a tech day at your house. Plenty of us would love to see how it is removed and see how TRICK the car actually looks with it off in person.
i agree - i just happened to be there anyway, so i got their opinion. wanted to let the OP know my experience since it was recent.

·
Registered
580 Posts
~2 hours off, 1.5 on the first time I did it. I could probably pull and reinstall it inside of an hour now if I really wanted to.

I could see a dealer charging ~4 hours. 9 seems rather steep.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Wait, shouldn't this be a warranty item since it went out due to design where the water doesn't leak out?

You might be out of warranty but it should be warrantied if you still have it though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
They've done it before, but I'd double check that price!

Also, the holes are warranty work, there is a service bulletin that was discussed here on LotusTalk

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Wait, shouldn't this be a warranty item since it went out due to design where the water doesn't leak out?

You might be out of warranty but it should be warrantied if you still have it though.
It was a warranty item on mine...no problems and no charge. Plus they replaced the door locks (that was an TSB from '06) under warranty.

Tom

1 - 20 of 26 Posts