The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on getting either some new 888s or Hankooks and driving to and from events. Does that use constitute heat cycles or simply risk some cut damage in transit?

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I drive to and from the track....I don't consider that a heat cycle - the tires don't get up to temp. When you're really pushing them on track, I consider it a heat cycle.
If you track often, you can burn through r888's in 3 track days.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I drive to and from the track....I don't consider that a heat cycle - the tires don't get up to temp. When you're really pushing them on track, I consider it a heat cycle.
If you track often, you can burn through r888's in 3 track days.
That's tragic. I've got 4 days on my A6s. Are the 888s THAT weak?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I normally get about 6 days out of a set of R888's. 1 day = 4 20-30 minute sessions.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
we are running the r888 on our spec 944s as the spec tire in the class.
just changed about a year ago(before i joined the class).
nobody like the wear we are getting from these tires.
they are good for about 4 sessions, and then they go away and get really slippery. worse is that i can cord these thing after about 10 cycles.
there is a lot of tread on them in the center, but the outer edge gets worn really poorly, and cords. something about the tire rolling under itself in corners.
i have camber plates, so i have been changing camber, adjusting tire pressure, and using my pyrometer.
i cannot get them to perform any better, and for 4-5 "good sessions" we may as well be racing on slicks.

IMO, these tires are flawed, and that seems to be the general conclusion from not only the racers on them, but it now turns out that the toyo tire guy who sells these at the events is in agreement as well.
he has given all kinds of 'adjusted" advice on cold psi, but has now agreed, that these things suck, and has said that toyo will be re-engineering them likely this summer.
if these were not the spec tire in our class, i would never keep using them.
I also would not recommend them to anyone for the track.
no idea how they do on the street, but they are not the quality tire that toyo usually makes, and toyo is now aware of this as well.

I am now having to flip my tires every 6 sessions to get through 2 weekends of use with them, otherwise the last session of the weekend, the race, is a crapshoot.
when the tires are new, during those first few sessions, they do few good, not sure how lighter cars, such as a lotus are on these tires, but the portly 944 coming in at its raceweight with the driver at 2625 lbs, is killing these things.
i am also hearing the spec miatas are trashing the tires, and those guys are tipping the scales at 2325 lbs with driver.
buy something else is my advice.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
As far as with the Lotus the R888 is a decent tire, but due to their wear characteristics I have chosen to run the RA1. The R888 is a bit faster tire (maybe 1/2 second a lap on 1.5 mile track), but the RA1 last me about 16 days vs R888 about 6 days.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
It depends on what type of track I am running, but yes 3 days on a big track is it....just like fishguy says, these tires IMO are pretty weak when it comes to longevity.

I will prob. switch to RA1's as others have mentioned simply for more tire life.

Another option is BF Goodrich tires which kaz is running.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
A048s are worse than R888 and RA1s don't come in the proper size for LSS wheels.

Does anyone have a better recommendation for those of us that don't have space for a set of track wheels?:shrug:

BTW, 8k street miles, 4 track days, and one autocross on my R888s and they are getting to the wear bars in the rear now. FF275 Elise with LSS.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
I'd echo the comments above. The RA-1s last really well... The r888s are certainly a faster tire than the RA-1 though... They both will outlast an A048, IMO...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Basically, if it comes down to A048's or R888's for the lotus, I'd pick the R888's without doubt. No issues w/heat cycles and driving on them. The optimum operating range for R888's is 160-220...you'd have to really be driving like a loon to get tires up to that temp on the street.

I am running R888's on my SM (spec miata).
Really like them, but they definately don't last as long as RA-1s. I bought them at 4/32's (full is 6/32) and am about out of tread in the center of the tire after 3 weekends (VIR, NJMP and Shenandoah). Apparently, TOYO says they don't need to be shaved so I will try full tread for my next set (they just weigh more).

Toyo indicates the following for setup on a SM:
http://www.nwspecmiata.com/SpecMiataSetupGuidelines.pdf

I know it's not a Lotus, but it is a similar car as far as low weight and horespower.

Hope it helps...

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
maybe AZreason will weigh in here.
I know he is running some blistering times in his Elise doing TT stuff, and he has never steered me wrong anytime i have ever talked to him or gotten info from him.
I trust his opinion, perhaps he may have some insight into other tire choices that offer longevity and grip.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
try the R6's. I get MANY more days on them. They only start to get tacky after 2 days! The A6 heats up too fast and will turn too many heat cycles.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
+1 to what fishguy said. All the racers I know hate the R888's for 1 big reason: they wear out way too fast. :no:

Not all R-compounds are created equal.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Using tires for both track and street will be forever a compromise. If you want to be fast, tire wear is not an issue. If you want tires with good tread life, fast is not an issue. You cannot have it both ways. Years ago I ran Yokohama A032's that provided good wear for several weekends (full time race car), but suddenly realized that I couldn't stay with the faster guys. I switched to Goodyears, then later Hoosiers and discovered that to run at the front one could not be frugal about rubber. As for heat cycling-it does help them to stay effective longer, but to do it right, you need an extra set so the set you just cycled can cool and cure properly.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Got R888 tires on my LSS wheels and plan to run them for the first time in May.

Got two full sets of shaved RA1s stacked up in the garage. Waiting for my current RA1s on my track wheels to cord before mounting the next set.

xtn

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
X- those tripple 8s will blow your mind how much better they grip than well used RA1s... They did mine anyway;) I like RA1s, but the 888s are a step better and you'll feel it right away...

Later,
Phil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts