The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I ran Kumho V700's at Road Atlanta track days a few months ago and was very impressed. They took about 3 seconds off my lap times. It was a super hot day so they did build a lot of pressure but it seems everyone was having that problem. I haven't tried a lot of different tires but I do recommend the V700's. You sure can't beat the price compared with others either.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have been using Kumho Victoracers on the track for a while. They are great tires, and are a good cheap method to pull everything you can out of the car. The hoosiers might be stickier, but for the $$$ unless you are out there to win, they just arent worth it in my book.

One thing I will repeat from a previous post. R compound tires are NOT for the first timer, or even the 5th timer on the track. Stick with the street tires for now. Yes, you will be slower, but street tires talk to you. You know that squeal you hear as you are going deep into the corner? No such thing with the racing slicks. They make a bit of a rumble when you are doing it right. Know what sound they make when you push it too far? They sound pretty much the same (though the feeling changes.) Know how much warning they give you? None. If you are not 100% comfortable driving at the edge on street tires you should absolutely NOT even think about putting r compound tires on your car.

YOU will be the one working with your insurance company to pay for damages (if they will pay.)

Scot

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Hmmm good advice. I ran autocross yesterday with streets, and was able to learn a lot about the car's limits. I want to go with a 2nd set of wheels with stickier tires, but I don't want to break the bank doing so. Once I get better, I'll be searching more intensely for the solution.

Get your car, Randy, so you can educate us all!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts