The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 V8's right front wheel seems to chatter quite a bit when turning around in a low speed scenario (like turning around in a driveway at 1-5 mph).

A bit like a 4x4 If you accidentally leave it in 4 wheel drive on a dry road - it grips and then slips a little.

I've also noticed the RF tire rubs a little bit on the inside of the wheel well at full right lock.

Tires are new. Alignment was done but didn't change anything. It drives and handles fine at speed.

Thoughts? Is the chatter or rubbing normal for an Esprit or is something else going on?

Thanks!

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,424 Posts
^^ As Travis said, you may have a loose wheel bearing. They are the old-fashioned type that need to be re-packed with grease periodically, then torqued to the proper pre-load.

Otherwise, it's Anti-Ackermann Steering... (read the last paragraph of the article below).

Ackermann steering geometry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
All of the tires make noise when turning. Partly because they are so wide. The inside turning radius vs the outside turning radius is different enough to cause that. Similar to what happens when a semi-trailer makes a very tight turn. The inside wheels will scrub and move sideways relative to the turning radius. When going faster you don't notice the extra noise and they can slip more (and you are not turning quite as tightly?). Not considered a problem since you do that so little. Keep an eye on how your tires wear, that is the best indicator and check the tire pressures often. If they are rubbing on the body or frame make sure you have the correct sizes.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, scrubbing sounds like it. No problems when actually driving over 5mph or so. No wheel bearing noise.

Since I'm finally getting to drive it now I'm just getting to all of the "is it normal" sort of things. Thanks for the info!

What about the tire rubbing the inside of the wheel well at full lock? There are a few marks where I can see where it hits. Left side does not rub.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Do you have the OEM steering wheel?

Check to see that you have exactly the same number of steering wheel turns from center to lock both right and left to make sure you aren't turning a little more one way than the other.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts