1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've lost one of the true funnymen. He will be missed. :(

From Deadline Hollywood Daily:

R.I.P. George Carlin

I've just been told by a source that George Carlin died this evening. This is indeed shocking. Last week, it was announced that on November 10th the veteran comic whose infamous "Filthy Words" routine reached all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court would be the 11th person inducted into the John F Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts’ pantheon of humor and receive this year’s Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. (Past winners include Richard Pryor, Whoopi Goldberg, Lily Tomlin and Steve Martin.) Reuters now also has Carlin's death, reporting that he died at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica of heart failure at age 71. Hollywood has long loved Carlin as a gentle and considerate man. But what the funnyman courageously did to fight censorship over the airwaves on radio and television is the legacy he leaves behind.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
RIP

His humor was a major part of my world back in the day.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
:eek:
:shrug:
:mad:
:(

:wave: RIP

had several of his comedy albums... listened to them many times while in HS.

I even watched episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine when he was the host...

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Oh no!!! :(
He was one of the best. Spent a recent road trip listening to comedy sat radio and the when they played George Carlin it was by far the funniest. RIP

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I noticed one of the google ads viewing this thread...

George Carlin Ringtones!

Is nothing sacred?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
RIP... his albums were a staple of my teenage years... it was a treat to see him live at Pace University back in the 90's...

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Sorry to hear of his passing, much too young in this day and age. My favorite GC joke. Paraphrasing here, it's been a long time. Phone call. "Hi, remember me, Shirley?" "No." "Nine months ago you said I was a real sport! Well, I'm commiting suicide!" "Say, you are a real sport."

Now, normally banner ads for dead people might be deemed insensitive. But, GC would probably get a kick out of this one for GC ringtones.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I loved his skit about religion. The funniest and true comedy I've ever seen.
I laughed my head off!rotfl

After George's passing, I guess I have to go to pray to Joe.

A sad day. :sad: He will be missed.

--Hal

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

My tribute:

(P.S., If I have to warn you that this clip is "NSFW", you're not smart enough to listen to it.)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MeSSwKffj9o&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MeSSwKffj9o&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
113 Posts
RIP...

As with many of you his comedy was inspirational to me when I was younger and I still get a kick out of everything he ever recorded. i feel very fortunate to have also seen him live. My favorite recording of him was his appearance on the Art Bell show in 1999. It gave a candid, wonderful glimpse into his personal feeling on the afterlife, the paranormal and everything else. He was the classic Funny-Man and he set the bar high for all comics to follow. I will sorely miss him. I guess its time for him to meet the "Invisible Man In The Clouds"

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If just 10% of the US population was as smart as he was, well, we wouldn't be so stupid. He was the best.

"There is a man in the sky and he has a list of ten things you are not supposed to do. If you do any of these things, he has a place for you full of fire, burning, and torment .... but ... he loves you. He loves you and he needs money." Zeitgeist-CARLIN-INTRO

Q

·
0 Posts
I am devastated.

My favorite all-time comedian. I've seen him perform live four or five times over the years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Forecast for tonight-

Mostly Dark.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
A genius. His contribution to the world will be missed.

I remember staying up and watching his specials on HBO as a child behind my parents back and then going into school repeating his jokes. This made me very popular with the principal.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
RIP. I loved his version of "The Aristocrats."

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
s, p, c, f, cs, mf, and t.

aging. i saw him do the routine live

1 - 20 of 43 Posts