The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my copy today. LOL - not saying the S240 is the fastest of the bunch, but Steve Millen's lap times were far from impressive. Hell, half the LCS group ran faster lap times at Willow Springs, and most are weekend drivers. I think I might write a letter to chastise R&T...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think if you ran the same test, but had a spec miata champ like Brad Rampelberg you would see the Lotus numbers jump considerably.

If Steve had more time with each car all of the times would improve, but the Lotus is a car without all the fancy gizmos to pull it in line for you, or gobs of horsepower. It has more of a learning curve.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very upsetting!

I was not happy with the fact that the lotus was spanked by everything, so how would my bone stock 05 Elise fare? Almost makes me want to sell my car. NOT!

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
These "show up and drive" tests are so ridiculous considering how many of us take such pains to get our suspensions dialed in, proper alignments, etc., not to mention the learning curve on a particular car. On the average day after work, my BMW X5 sport is easier to drive fast than my Ruf turbo, the latter without driver aids taking A LOT more concentration and experience, especially difficult on those days without its engineer...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
These "show up and drive" tests are so ridiculous considering how many of us take such pains to get our suspensions dialed in, proper alignments, etc., not to mention the learning curve on a particular car. On the average day after work, my BMW X5 sport is easier to drive fast than my Ruf turbo, the latter without driver aids taking A LOT more concentration and experience, especially difficult on those days without its engineer...
The Viper had a factory tech on site...WTF???? The Lotus was set up as a street car, running against a $200,000 Gallardo and a factory tuned Viper?
Give him Jack's totally dialed cup car against any of that machinery and let's see what happens. (at least on Streets Of Willow).

(ya know, I had 4 wisdom teeth pulled on Thursday. I'm on 4 Vicoden and 2 martini's. I probably should have posted this under the "late night drinking" thread.)

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
Just received my copy today. LOL - not saying the S240 is the fastest of the bunch, but Steve Millen's lap times were far from impressive. Hell, half the LCS group ran faster lap times at Willow Springs, and most are weekend drivers. I think I might write a letter to chastise R&T...
John,

It looked to me like the Big Willow lap times for all the cars tested were on the high side.

As for the Lotus, Craig Stanton and Cort Wagner (both good prodessional drivers) have turned 1:32's in both n/a and s/c Loti on 048's and both said that they leflt a little on the table. ;) Also, I'm aware of ametuers (albeit excellent drivers) that have turned 1:35's in '07 Exige S's right off the showroom floor with stock suspensions and no alignment tweaks. FWIW.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It looked to me like the Big Willow lap times for all the cars tested were on the high side.

Let's all just take a moment to chill...

Direct quote from R&T...
"We've been through these nine turns before, but not with all this exotic machinery. The ground rules are simple; our hot-shoe Steve Millen gets two timed sessions in each car. Each session consists of a warm-up and cool-down lap with two fliers in between. The object is to get representative fast laps, but not to set a track record. These are, after all, street cars. With a few modifications and adjustments the lap times of all could be drastically changed. That's not what this test is about. The results of this multi-track test are best used as a way of understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each model. "

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
Let's all just take a moment to chill...

Direct quote from R&T...
"We've been through these nine turns before, but not with all this exotic machinery. The ground rules are simple; our hot-shoe Steve Millen gets two timed sessions in each car. Each session consists of a warm-up and cool-down lap with two fliers in between. The object is to get representative fast laps, but not to set a track record. These are, after all, street cars. With a few modifications and adjustments the lap times of all could be drastically changed. That's not what this test is about. The results of this multi-track test are best used as a way of understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each model. "
Sorry, even with the above proviso in quotes, the times for all the cars were SLOW for whatever reason, imho.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sorry, even with the above proviso in quotes, the times for all the cars were SLOW for whatever reason, imho.
No arguement here, brother...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
No one is good all the time. Everyone makes mistakes, has bad days, etc.
Not Gary. He does this for a living. He really does not have bad days. It is like saying Chuck Norris has bad days. He is that skilled.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Chuck Norris does NOT have bad days. Bad days have Chuck Norris. :) Or something like that. All these Chuck jokes, and some just don't make sense.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I would like to results with the Lotus driven by the Stig.
Im betting most of the locals who drive Elise/Exiges on a regular basis could put down better lap times than The Stig.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts