The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YouTube - In-car footage of Audi R8 Wreck at VIR

Do you think if he didn't try to save it, and instead put both feet in and kept steering wheel straight, he would not have gone into the tirewall?

Seems like by trying to save it by turning left, he sends the car more to the right.

He was headed more straight than to the right when he lifted and started the spin, which is why I think he messed up

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
It looked to me like he corrected basically quickly enough, but that it was a lost cause. I do think that he should have straightened the wheel after it was gone, and especially since he was sliding sideways on the grass. Every bit of drag in that situation helps. He was getting a bit off line in the preceding corners, probably be cause he was getting fixated on the Viper and thinking more about passing him than his line. He may have been moving more straight at the moment he lost it, but the weight transfer was going sideways, and fast.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Ive been into a tire wall before, granted not in my car (I was passenger). Its not fun..

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Looks like he hit the curbing on the right just prior to the spin.

I hope he had insurance - that may not "buff right out'

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I guess 'God D*mn It' is the same in every language.

There are no atheists in fox holes or the cockpits of cars that are out of control.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Don't mean to laugh at the guys misfortune but I find it funny when he's saying "please don't hit the wall, please don't hit the wall"....
I have hit a wall twice, once pretty hard. I went in backwards at about 70 in the formula ford after hitting oil on the track, i was just along for the ride like this guy.
I never even thought to beg to not hit a wall, or hit anything for that matter.
maybe next time i will try that.
looks like it was a hard hit by the grunt he made on impact.
i wonder what his reaction was when he found out that his insurance policy doesnt cover HPDE, and if he also has that on video as well.

One thing I learned from crashing when i used to roadrace motorcycles is to relax and take the hit when you are past the point of no return.
imagine an uncooked spaghetti noodle taking an impact (your body while tensed up), you shatter. now the same noodle which has been cooked (your body while relaxed) it bends and doesnt shatter.
I think he should have taken his hands off the wheel, after the point of no return, so they didnt get broken, and relax for the impending impact which no amount of begging is going to prevent.

like all arm chair quarterbacking;
"its easy to comment when you are not the one riding it out................."

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ive been into a tire wall before, granted not in my car (I was passenger). Its not fun..
+1 no fun at all to start spinning at 100mph, especially with concrete walls instead of tire walls.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have lots of experience at that track. He spun because he lifted abruptly to avoid running up on the car in front of him, after missing the apex in a critical turn. That's a fast section (climbing esses) with lots of slippery grass Once he left the track, all hope was lost.

The lesson: look ahead, plan, and don't close up on cars in no-passing areas.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand WHY he spun... was asking more about the attempted recovery

·
Registered
712 Posts
^^^
I think he lifted because he was coming too fast for the next turn, not because of avoiding Viper in front of him.

Once the car spun on the grass, I don't think he could do anything to save the car.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Early turn in + Early turn in + crest = Off line and light grip, Just my opinion!
+1. Then, no amount of correction was saving him. Matter of fact, he may have been better off not trying to correct, and potentially ending up facing the other way in the middle of the track or off to the other side after a number of fancy pirouettes. But like Fish and others have said here - easy to say when you're not in the seat. :(

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I understand WHY he spun... was asking more about the attempted recovery
so thats the esses prior to oak tree. he early apexed, ran out of track out, and tried to apply right input to make the next and... the rest is obvious... there was no recovery that caused the spin, it was the right input attempt to make the next corner that he was never gonna make anyways....in hindsight he should have ran off track left and never tried - but at that spot, on that track, in that car - he was probably going 130'ish - i lift prior going into the corner he early apexed - to prevent just the resault you see there.... you can't really see it in the video - but its a low grip feeling throught there, a bit "floaty" - some of the guys that know vir a lot better than i do can explain it better through there, but sufficece to say - i never felt comfortable right there. and it is deceptive in thoose esses, very easy to early apex it - so i wouldn't say it was a stupid mistake - just a mistake.

suxs!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have many laps on this track. . Each turn in the climbing esses is a step up then flat. Any lift and the rear loses grip and then it's goodnight.

I believe that he lifted because he was closing on the viper. You have to set your speed before you're in the esses.

VIR is a tricky track and will gladly bite you. As I well know. My Elise is in many pieces as I write this. Three weeks ago I spun between turn 5 and 6 and was collected by the car following me.-eek- I kept my car on the track, exhaled, thanked the lord for my safe stop and was promptly smacked back to reality. I had never had the slightest problem with this part of the track.:shrug:

The back end stepped out because of debris drug into the apex by a preceeding car re-entering after an off. Or I messed up. Or both. It happened so fast I can't be sure.:confused:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
It does appear that he had "both feet in." His long slide appears to be straight with a pretty constant rotation rate, despite the fact the he had the steering wheel cranked full left. If he had NOT been "both feet in" I think we would see more unexpected variations in the long slide.

xtn

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
It does appear that he had "both feet in." His long slide appears to be straight with a pretty constant rotation rate, despite the fact the he had the steering wheel cranked full left. If he had NOT been "both feet in" I think we would see more unexpected variations in the long slide.

xtn
Xtn,
I dont think it mattered what he did once he was in the grass.
from what i understand that stuff is like ice when its green and wet.
I wouldnt know first hand, out here in the desert we just have dirt.

another thing to address the "i only do HPDE, so i dont need a HANS device, and proper race seat/harness" attitude.
you saw the hit, which i didnt think was going to be as hard as it appeared to be.
how about if he nosed into the tire wall. I think he would have been saying while sliding, "I wish i bought a H+N device, I wish i bought a H+N device".

HPDE or racing, you need the right equipment to protect yourself from potentially horrible injuries.
use this video of yet another example of why you need to have good safety gear when your on the track doing any driving at any level BEFORE you wad your car, not after.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts