The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I've done some research on this through lotustalk and have had mixed reviews, some pretty dated, so I have a question :)

I currently have R888s on my 05 Elise and the rears need replacing, badly. I have ONE R888 rear replacement and cannot locate a sibling for it anywhere (craigslist, ebay, reputable tyre dealers).

1. If you know of where to buy a R888 (not R888r) 225/45/17 let me know

2. Would it be the end of the world to put R888rs on the rear while having R888s on the front? Or even different sport tires on the back while keeping the front R888s?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I had R888 all around on my 05' and replace the rears last year with R888Rs when they reached end of life. Comparing both tires side by side in 225/45/17 size I did not see much difference except the R888Rs have a groove and the R888s don't. I assume the groove, which is pretty big, was added to help wet weather handling. I've been very happy with the combo of R888 in front and R888R in back. I'll switch the front if someone wanted to buy the fronts or when they wear out, but will stay with them for now. I personally would not leave R888 in front and a completely different tire in the back.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
All, I've done some research on this through lotustalk and have had mixed reviews, some pretty dated, so I have a question :)

I currently have R888s on my 05 Elise and the rears need replacing, badly. I have ONE R888 rear replacement and cannot locate a sibling for it anywhere (craigslist, ebay, reputable tyre dealers).

1. If you know of where to buy a R888 (not R888r) 225/45/17 let me know

2. Would it be the end of the world to put R888rs on the rear while having R888s on the front? Or even different sport tires on the back while keeping the front R888s?
I actually did run Conti DW on the back and R888 on the front for a while. When the R888 were warm, the car's balance was amazing. No understeer unless you tried to make it happen, and no oversteer either unless you tried. It was fantastic. BUT, and this is a big one, the ABS absolutely hated the mismatch when the R888s were cold and would freak out. I ran two stop signs because of it.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,403 Posts
I did this last year and didn't have any issues. The grip is very similar between the two and didn't have any issues on track that way either. If you go to a different sport tire on the back you'd want the grip to be close and I'm not sure I would do that on track.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I want to clarify that I actually agree with the other two comments - mine should serve as an example of how not to mismatch, not that there isn't a right way to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts