The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone here sold me a set of R888 telling me it would fit on the basic set of Lotus wheels...

It shoud be okay for the rear 245/40ZR17, but the front tires are 225/45ZR16 they look huge compared to the wheels! :eek:

Anyone ever tried a 225 front tire on oem touring front wheels? Will it works?

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Your front touring wheel will be narrower then what the tire manufacturer would recommend by far. Your width range is 7-8.5 inches. Your touring wheels would pull the sidewall of the tire in too much thus effecting the contact patch of the tire. Hopefully someone else may chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so i have to look for a 7.0-7.5-8.5 in front and 8.0-8.5-9.5 for rears...

Do i have to check for a specific offset?

I'm looking for cheap black set to fit those tires...

Thanks guys!

BTW, i have 16/17's wheel, my error, i thought those were called Touring wheels... Anyway, these were the basic wheel coming on a Elise 2007.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 more questions!

1. Will it be okay to install a 225/45ZR16 tire in front? I mean will it touch anything like the wheel arch liner?

2. What is the maximum size i can install on the OEM wheels?

3. I saw that some people here bought the Rota Torque, is there any other black cheap wheels i can buy to install these tires? 225/45ZR16 245/40ZR17?

Thanks for the help.

BTW, my car is stock, with basic suspension.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Tire and wheel width

If you can stretch a tire on the wheel, it will probably work. I would follow tire manufacturer's specs -.5/+1 inch on wheel width. It may not really fit otherwise.

Since R888's are race-spec tires, I would go for the wider rim. They are not designed to run on narrow rims because the sidewall is very stiff. Your tire guy will have problems with narrow rims and stiff tires.

If the wheel is too narrow, then the sidewall will cone out toward the tread. When you try to turn the sidewall will easily flex before transmitting any turning force to the tread. The tires will not react well and the handling of the car will be affected. If you are really good, you will feel the car to be more 'floaty'.

I tried this with 335/25/17 on my old street car. On an 11" rim they were a disaster on 12.5" rim they were wonderful. The were desinged for 12". This applies to the track. The correct rim was worth 3 sec, at least. On the street, there was little difference.

Anton

Your front touring wheel will be narrower then what the tire manufacturer would recommend by far. Your width range is 7-8.5 inches. Your touring wheels would pull the sidewall of the tire in too much thus effecting the contact patch of the tire. Hopefully someone else may chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The base set on an Elise was a 16/17 (not 15/16 as someone in this thread said).

You're right, there is no way to fit the fronts on the 5.5 inch wheel you have.

Frankly, whatever wheel you get the 225 front will look huge and will positively suck the steering feel right out of the car.

If I were you, I'd feel a bit bad that someone stuck me with this set of tires for a Lotus. I'd try and sell them to someone with a BMW as a staggered setup and get the right size tires for the car. Remember, even with the sport pack wheels, the largest fronts are 195's. If that sounds skinny to you, go out and see the cornering speed these cars get with that tire.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man, i'm so naive that i did trust that guy, he already had some problems here on the forum, i should have been more informed first...:(

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Should i forget the 245/40R17 on the stock rear wheel too?
Those will probably fit but you could have rubbing issues. I went to 245s with my Hoosiers and wound up rubbing a hole in the fender liner. That could be due to the -3 degrees of camber I run in the rear and the fact that I'm almost bottoming out my suspension at the track though.

The fronts definitely won't fit...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you mean they definitely won't fit on the car or just on the stock wheels?

Those will probably fit but you could have rubbing issues. I went to 245s with my Hoosiers and wound up rubbing a hole in the fender liner. That could be due to the -3 degrees of camber I run in the rear and the fact that I'm almost bottoming out my suspension at the track though.

The fronts definitely won't fit...

·
3,201 Posts
Do you mean they definitely won't fit on the car or just on the stock wheels?
Probably both - the front tires definitely won't fit on the front wheels you have - stock width is 195 and while I run 205s at times I think a 225 would rub like crazy up front without some sort of spacers.

I was referring to the rears rubbing the rear wheel wells - but that could just be my car...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Won't argue you too much, but i think stock is 175...?

Considering that the 245 will "maybe" fit on my rear stock wheels, should i buy a pair of 195 (R888) to install in front or they will also be too wide for the stock front wheel?

·
3,201 Posts
Won't argue you too much, but i think stock is 175...?

Considering that the 245 will "maybe" fit on my rear stock wheels, should i buy a pair of 195 (R888) to install in front or they will also be too wide for the stock front wheel?
Stock sizes are:

Front: 195/50/16
Rear: 225/45/17

So 195 front R888s are perfect, that's what I've run for years...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Just so you know-

The base, what some people call touring wheels, which it sounds like you have, took 175's on the front.

The sports, what are called LSS wheels, took 195's.

Both were 16 inch diameter. To my knowledge there has never been a Lotus front wheel that had a wider tire than a 195.

Some people have put 205's on the front touring wheel, in fact the guy whose car I bought a few years ago. It looks silly on a 5.5 inch wheel and felt terrible to drive. I can't imagine how lousy a 225 would feel, but as Ross said, it probably wouldn't even fit.

A 245 on the back has been run by a number of people but you will probably get rubbing. It's pointless IMO unless you have some special need for it.

In short I think you have a set of nice tires for another car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would be in for new wheels if i was sure that 225 front and 245 rear won't touch the arch liners on a stock Lotus Elise.... Any cheap black wheel suggestions?

sry about the wheel diameter mistake on my part, but you have 2 options. new wheels or new tires.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts