The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Has anyone had experience with both tires? I expect the R6 to outperform, but by how much? How do the tread lives compare? With the two current deals going on for the Toyos, they're very attractive. But, if the Hoosiers will blow their doors off, I'd pony up the extra cash.

I intend to mount them on 15/16 slipstreams for autocross and DE duty. I have a trailer, so driving to events on the tires is not an issue.

Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
840 Posts
For HPDE events, I don't understand why folks choose Hoosiers over the RA1s or R888s. It's just not worth the extra second you might get out of the Hoosier.

I've used R6s (and their predecessors) for years on my ITS car, and RA1s and R888s on my Spec Miatas and track cars. While I think the differences between the tires are "closing," it is still generally true (to me) that:

1. Hoosiers are about a second, perhaps two, faster on my ITS car. Same is true on my SM.

2. Hoosiers used to have crap wear characteristics. Now, IF I HEAT CYCLE THEM PROPERLY, I get a fair amount of useout of them. Not the same as RA1s, but decent.

3. R888s appear to be stickier but also not have as much life in them.

Last, I found RA1s to be acceptable compromise street tires on my Esprit, and will try the R888s on teh Exige if available in my size. you obviously can't do that with Hos.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Jeff. What would proper heat cycling of the hoos entail? Is it the R6 you have experience with?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I run R6's because I have an extra set of wheels and tires for the track so I might as well run the fastest tire. I love them.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hoosier basically says run 2-3 laps at 70% pace, and then one "flying" balls out lap -- and then take the tires off the car and let them sit for at least 24 hours, longer if possible.

For the race car, I have three sets of wheels. I'll get a set of Hoosiers mounted, run them a short time and then take them off and let them cure. I run the other two sets until they are cycled out.

Not sure if this is practical for a street car, or even an HPDE car unless you have more than 2 sets of wheels.

Thanks for the input Jeff. What would proper heat cycling of the hoos entail? Is it the R6 you have experience with?

·
Registered
274 Posts
TireRack offers heat cycling if you order from them. Definitely makes a difference in wear. We have a customer with a GT3 who recently switched from Michelins to Hoosiers. The first set went relatively quickly but hadn't been heat cycled, second set has lasted longer.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Jasper is correct, although I will say the Tire Rack heat cylcing process is generally believed amongst racers to be not nearly as effective as doing it yourself on track.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Although not nearly as tedious.

·
Registered
856 Posts
trackitup.com sells hoosiers for less than tirerack.

I used Hoosiers on my SM for hpde events. Used to get awhile season out of them. 8 - 10 events. You can run Hoosiers down to the cords and they are pretty sticky the whole time. I can't imagine the lotus not getting just as good wear since it is so light.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone.

I think I'll probably have to have the tires heat cycled where I buy them. Anyone else have experience with the performance differenced between these two tires? If it's only 1-2 seconds at an HPDE, it's probably not worth the extra dough. How about autocross performance? Is there a difference in how much heat you need to get into the two different tires before they reach maximum grip?

Thanks again folks,
Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts