The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not getting what the manual is saying, it says in race mode like sport mode you get reduced ESP but when I put it in race mode light shows ESP off. Is it totally off or just reduced? And manual seems to imply there is a way to de-activate which I don't see

·
Illegal Alien
5,148 Posts
I'm not getting what the manual is saying, it says in race mode like sport mode you get reduced ESP but when I put it in race mode light shows ESP off. Is it totally off or just reduced? And manual seems to imply there is a way to de-activate which I don't see
Hope this helps ... I had same problem as you, I don't really understand why one needs to ready the Service Notes to gain more controls insight than is given in the Owners Manual. Well at least the information exists and a 1 hr download subscription to http://vsic.lotuscars.com is cheap, and a lot can be downloaded.

In Dash Tell Tales:

'Sport' Mode Dash Tell Tale - illuminated in Sport Mode as well as Control Button Red

'Race' Mode Dash Tell Tale - illuminated in Race Mode as well as Control Button Red and ESP Off tell tale in dash

Electronic Stability Program (ESP®)
Whilst driving the tell tale may flicker amber, indicating that the ESP has been triggered and electronic intervention is taking place; the tractive limit has been reached and driving style should be modified accordingly. If however the warning lamp illuminates constantly, a fault has been detected and ESP will not be enabled and you should see your dealer without delay.

Electronic Stability Program (ESP®) 'Off' - illuminated in ESP Off mode only or in Race Mode along with Race tell tale.
This lamp will glow amber if the ESP has been manually switched off.

Section MH of the Service Notes (page 34 plus)

ESP Mode Settings
TOUR (Default setting normal road use)
ESP fully activated. 1.
Engine protection valve within the exhaust system will only open at high throttle/rpm applications, Maximum 2.continuous engine speed restricted to 6,600rpm.
For automatic transmission vehicles ‘Manual Gear Selection’ Mode can be selected. 3.
SPORT (Only for suitable road conditions)
Reduction in ESP settings allowing increased power induced wheel slippage thresholds and no throttle 1.reduction on understeer.
Engine protection valve within the exhaust system is permanently open regardless of throttle position or 2.engine speed.
Maximum continuous engine speed increased to 7,000rpm.3.
For automatic transmission vehicles gear shift points are optimised for improved vehicle performance and 4.faster gear shifts and if activated, the vehicle will remain in Manual Sequential Gear Mode until the D – Drive button is depressed.
RACE (For dry condition track use only)
Optimised traction and corner exit characteristics with reduced ESP intervention.1.
Engine protection valve within the exhaust system permanently open regardless of throttle position or engine 2.speed.
ESP ‘Off’ (For track use only)
ESP de-activated.1.
Engine protection valve opening timing the same as ‘Sport’ mode2.
For automatic transmission vehicles gear shifting points and manual sequential gear mode functions are the 4.same as ‘Sport’ mode.
Be aware that selecting Sport, Race or ESP 'Off' mode will alter the handling characteristics of the

Selecting Race Mode
With the engine running and from either TOUR or SPORT mode, press the RACE switch once for approximately one second and then release.
The switch as well as the and tell tales in the instrument panel will also illuminate.
Note: if selected whilst driving, the vehicle will immediately engage Race mode, the engine protection valve will open regardless of the throttle pedal position as well as a reduction in the ESP functionality.
ESP should always be active when driving on public roads in normal conditions.
To return to Sport from Race mode
Momentarily press the SPORT switch. The & tell tales will extinguish and the tell tale will be illuminated.
To return to Tour from Race mode
Momentarily press the RACE switch. The & tell tales should now be extinguished.
Selecting ESP ‘Off’ Mode
With the the engine running and the vehicle in Race mode, press the RACE switch once for approximately one second.
The tell tale within the instrument panel will illuminate.
Note: if selected whilst driving, the vehicle will immediately engage ESP ‘Off’ mode, resulting in ESP deactivation and the engine protection valve remaining open regardless of the throttle pedal position.
ESP should always be active when driving on public roads in normal conditions.
To Exit ESP ‘Off’ Mode
A momentary press of either the SPORT or RACE switch will return the vehicle to that mode selected.
Note: The vehicle will revert back to Tour Mode when the ignition is turned off.

Reactions: Redsled

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but still confused? What you posted is exactly what my manual says. Are you saying if I subscribe and download I will get additional information on how to keep ESP on?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To Exit ESP ‘Off’ Mode
A momentary press of either the SPORT or RACE switch will return the vehicle to that mode selected.
Note: The vehicle will revert back to Tour Mode when the ignition is turned off.
Just played around with car and found when I'm in race mode and do that momentary press the Race light turns off in the display and the button goes back to white but the ESP OFF light remains lit. But the confusing part is I can tell that car is still in Race mode by the sound and IDLE RPM speed. So it seems like it's backwards and Race light should stay on and ESP OFF light would go out?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just played around with car and found when I'm in race mode and do that momentary press the Race light turns off in the display and the button goes back to white but the ESP OFF light remains lit. But the confusing part is I can tell that car is still in Race mode by the sound and IDLE RPM speed. So it seems like it's backwards and Race light should stay on and ESP OFF light would go out?
Have noted same with my 400; this is what I believe is happening-
When in Race mode, ESP is active but to a much lesser extent than Sport or Touring; entering ESP OFF can only be done from Race mode, and keeps all parameters the same as Race mode except ESP which in now totally deactivated-this is relayed to the driver by turning of Race button but leaving on ESP OFF icon, signifying the car is in Race mode without any ESP activated. This is the only time one will see solely the ESP OFF light without any button lights illuminated. Now, exiting ESP off mode returns one to either Race mode or Sport mode (whichever button is used to exit ESP off mode), including all parameters, and illuminated icons and buttons, of that particular mode. Subsequently one must now exit the Race or Sport mode to return to Touring........
Confusing to me too, but I think this is how it is set up-could easily be wrong and glad to learn more..........

·
Illegal Alien
5,148 Posts

Momentary press of Race should cancel Race mode. With Race mode active, holding down Race button for 1 sec or more should activate Race mode with ESP really off. I believe SCV's description is how it really works, unfortunately my car is out of town so I cannot reconfirm if Race button is illuminated Red or White while in ESP off mode. They is really very little need to ever use the 4th mode, even skid pad drifting can be done with it in Race mode.

Reactions: Redsled

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since SCV tell tale lights works same way as mine I think his explanation is correct. Did read some stuff in another forum that also confirmed that even in Race Mode ESP is still active till you push again to totally shut it off. So looks like we cleared this up and hope it helps others

·
Registered
294 Posts
OP - yes it is somewhat confusing. Lord knows why Lotus decided to do it that way but, from my experience, the car really wakes up with everything all the way off. Before I knew about the "press Race once then press it again for another second" to turn all of the traction and stability systems off feature, I could fell the stability controls subtly holding the car back here and there, in ways that I didn't want it being held back. The car feels much more natural to me with it all the way off and never gets too out of shape anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, thank you, everyone. Very insightful information, I think (LOL). If you are more confused now than ever before raise your hand. This thing rocks so my first priority is to come home in one piece and that requires me to stay on the pavement. As such, I think for the sake of still learning the car I am going to stay in Sport mode for now and then, and if we hear some definitive clarity on this subject from a Lotus tech I will take it from there. The manual and the sequencing of Race mode with or without ESP is clearly an area that needs an explanation by Lotus techs.

Safe driving all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts