The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you guys done for race numbers?

I'm trying to figure something better than bingo marker on the windows or masking tape on the doors. I'd like something that I can remove and put back on when needed rather than big stickers.

Magnet would work great if the car had some steel rotfl

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
That's where I got mine too. They are static cling. Make sure you follow the directions and always apply them the day/night before you drive the car to insure they are dry.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
The static cling ones didn't work for me at all - no matter how clean the car was, etc. they always came off on the straight. I finally went with permanent vinyls - but you could of course just peel them off after every event.

I have a vinyl cutter, if you want me to make you some just PM me...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got reusable adhesive vinyl numbers at Welcome to SPS and Solotime!, lot of options (individual #'s, sets, different fonts and colors), they look great, are reusable/repositionable and weren't a problem at speed.

Having said that, I also bought the rocker panel protection panels from Keith at Chuforia and HIGHLY recommend them. They are temporary but can stay on for up to at least six months, easier to apply and look a lot better than blue tape. Two sets were less than thirty bucks, I used one set for an HPDE weekend, will use the second set next time I do a track event, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The static cling ones didn't work for me at all - no matter how clean the car was, etc. they always came off on the straight.
Maybe I just don't drive as fast as you, Ross, but the static cling vinyls have always worked great for me. My current set of vinyls have stayed on the car for 1 year and about 10,000 miles. The ones before that were on the car for 8 months and 8,000 miles until I replaced them with the new design.

I believe my success is because:
(1) I wash the vehicle wax off the paint with dish soap and microfiber towels before applying the vinyl decal, allowing for better adhesion.
(2) I squeegee every last bubble of liquid or air out from under the decal

I then wait a day and rewash and reapply wax to the car. This static cling has been on my car for a year:

As far as designs go, I used to mock things up in Forza on my XBOX to get a good idea of how things will look. Here's a comparison of my digital mockup and real life:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Another great source is Alex at racing-numbers.com She has a variety of standard static cling number or will do custom numbers. Been using them for about 5 months now and have cycled them on and off a half-dozen times. to apply, I spray water on the car door and back of the numbers, squeegee out the air bubbles and the numbers stick like they have been glued on. Takes about 5 minutes.

I also have used Keith's rocker panel protectors and they work great.

you can't go wrong with buying from either Alex or Keith

·
Registered
841 Posts
DISH SOAP!?
:eek:

Yes. Dish soap (aka dish washing liquid) is a degreaser. All my fancy detailing fluids are specifically designed to NOT remove wax from the clear coat.

So, use the dish soap solution to gently remove the wax--use the same uni-directional strokes along the airflow as you would when washing or applying wax--then use detailing solution to wash and rinse off the dish soap.

After that, apply static cling decal that will stay on forever.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That's usually what I use when I wash vehicles. Whatever is at the kitchen sink. Use it to wash greasy hands and sometimes my hair too.... about the only thing that really clean well after taking a bath in whatever nasties of the day.

I sent a message to the Churforia place.

I don't want permanent numbers cause I drive the car on the roads and I feel will just attract even more attention. Not that a blaze orange Elise really blends in, but I have a feeling I'll get even more mouth breathers trying to "race" me when all I want to do is get from A to B.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts