The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to put a 6pt harness in my Exige. Have read through a ton of threads and none of it has been confidence inspiring to a non-techie like me. Best thread that I could find was this one, but I would definitely need some help. So, does anyone have any experience with a local prep shop?

The other alternative is to use the 4pt Schroth ASM harness. However, I run with the PCA and they won't allow them.

Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Start here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100/safety-equipment-thread-13650/

I did, and found it immensely helpful. I posted pics & my experience at the end of that thread.

Cheers,
-Darryl
Just a few notes about PCA.

1. It is my understanding that PCA will not allow you to cut a whole in your seat, you will need to purchase a new seat for both driver and passenger if you plan on having an instructor.

2. Its my understanding that the stock mounting positions for the harness are not good enough for PCA. You supposedly need to mount the lap belts and 5/6 points to the floor, not the seats.

If your planning on running with PCA its probably easier to not put a harness in your car and just run with the stock belts. Or you can just run with The Drivers Edge and run with a 4pt.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you going to be using the stock exige seats?
Would like to, but as Chili notes below, PCA doesn't allow you to cut hole in them for 6 pt harness and 4 pt harness isn't allowed.

Start here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100/safety-equipment-thread-13650/

I did, and found it immensely helpful. I posted pics & my experience at the end of that thread.

Cheers,
-Darryl
Thanks. That is one of the first threads I read and I did note your detailed install (thanks). Problem for me is PCA won't allow you to modify stock seats. And...being a finance guy, not an engineer, I'm a bit scared of taking on the assignment on my own. :crazyeyes

Just a few notes about PCA.

1. It is my understanding that PCA will not allow you to cut a whole in your seat, you will need to purchase a new seat for both driver and passenger if you plan on having an instructor.
I have same understanding.

2. Its my understanding that the stock mounting positions for the harness are not good enough for PCA. You supposedly need to mount the lap belts and 5/6 points to the floor, not the seats.
I think that is right too. Which is why I want a prep shop to help me come up with a solution that works.

If your planning on running with PCA its probably easier to not put a harness in your car and just run with the stock belts. Or you can just run with The Drivers Edge and run with a 4pt.
Problem is, I started with the PCA guys and that is where all of my buddies run. Obviously, I need to make some new friends.rotfl Plus, now that I'm carrying more speed, I feel like it is time to do more on the safety front than just stock belts.

One thing I really like about PCA is the adherence to rules (particularly passing). Most guys out there seem to have enough money in their cars that they don't want to risk bumping. How are The Drivers Edge run groups? Is it responsible tracking?

By the way...thanks for your response to my earlier PMs!

So, no shop recommendations?:confused:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
One thing I really like about PCA is the adherence to rules (particularly passing). Most guys out there seem to have enough money in their cars that they don't want to risk bumping. How are The Drivers Edge run groups? Is it responsible tracking?

By the way...thanks for your response to my earlier PMs!

So, no shop recommendations?:confused:
Driversedge runs good safe events and is probably the closest to PCA of any group out there. Come out and run with us at TWS in October and you can see for yourself. Probably the only downside of driversedge and probably the same at PCA is the lack of point by's in the lower run groups (green, blue). Most of that clears up when you get into Yellow where the other drivers are paying more attention to whats around them.

The only shop in town I would recommend is GHM / Gas Head Motorworks home. They put on my suspension, corner balanced my car, and put on my oil pan. They seem very capable and are use to working on the Lotus products even though they specialize in building Spec Miata's.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info. I'm in Yellow with PCA and know the problem to which you refer. Too many egos in the lower run groups, just not enough experience, or both. That is why I like running with guys I know.

Also, thanks for the reference to GHM. I'll check them out.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
OK, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info. I'm in Yellow with PCA and know the problem to which you refer. Too many egos in the lower run groups, just not enough experience, or both. That is why I like running with guys I know.

Also, thanks for the reference to GHM. I'll check them out.
I run yellow with Thedriversedge so if you come out and run with us we will be in the same run group... Oh another plus for TDE is you can wear shorts and short sleeve shirts if you like. Helps quite a bit on hot days.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I run yellow with Thedriversedge so if you come out and run with us we will be in the same run group... Oh another plus for TDE is you can wear shorts and short sleeve shirts if you like. Helps quite a bit on hot days.
The consideraton for heat is nice, but in terms of safety severly lacking.
No official race organization would ever allow shorts and tee shirts out on a track. Granted that TDE and similar organizations are not running at that level but chances for an accident of any type still exist.
Just something to think about.

I don't know if they still do it but Pro Am on Richmond Ave. just west of the Galleria, used to do race prep on Miatas and Ginnettas. If you are just looking to install a 6 point they may be able to help you if Gashead is unavailable.

Al B.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Pretty sure anything that is going to damage you in a tshirt and shorts isn't going to bounce off of jeans and a long sleave shirt. I mean we aren't on motorcycles here... :)

Or do these other events require a full race suit and fire proof underwear? True there isn't really a cut off on safety equipment. But the risks aren't that much greater than driving here around Houston daily. In fact I feel safer at TDE in my jeans than full body armor driving on 610 some days.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Agreed, not much of a safety difference between short sleeve and long sleeve shirts, not sure jeans are going to help much either.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Any race sanctioned group, (SCCA, CVAR, etc.), would never allow anything other than a nomex race suit and gear.
If you feel comfortable with standard clothing in a race environment, where anything can happen, then by all means go with that.

Your perspective changes after you have either been in a situation or witnessed one first hand. Sort of like the argument bikers have for or against wearing helmets.

You may have the latest, newest, best there is car and equipment, but at the speeds reached on a track, with other cars present, it's the luck of the draw.

Example: last year at TWS a gentleman in a very well maintained Porsch hit oil and ran off into the tire wall that used to be on the down hill run before the carousel. He managed to scrub off a good bit of speed and did not hit the wall hard enough to even budge the tires. But the bump was enough to cause a fuel line to disconnect and spray fuel onto a hot engine.
The car was in flames almost immediately and if it had not been for his nomex he would be sporting some nasty burn marks at the least.
The whole incident happened in a few short minutes.
What do you think his condition would have been had he been in a tee shirt and shorts?

Again, it may never happen to you, but is it worth the risk? That's all I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Any race sanctioned group, (SCCA, CVAR, etc.), would never allow anything other than a nomex race suit and gear.
If you feel comfortable with standard clothing in a race environment, where anything can happen, then by all means go with that.

Your perspective changes after you have either been in a situation or witnessed one first hand. Sort of like the argument bikers have for or against wearing helmets.

You may have the latest, newest, best there is car and equipment, but at the speeds reached on a track, with other cars present, it's the luck of the draw.

Example: last year at TWS a gentleman in a very well maintained Porsch hit oil and ran off into the tire wall that used to be on the down hill run before the carousel. He managed to scrub off a good bit of speed and did not hit the wall hard enough to even budge the tires. But the bump was enough to cause a fuel line to disconnect and spray fuel onto a hot engine.
The car was in flames almost immediately and if it had not been for his nomex he would be sporting some nasty burn marks at the least.
The whole incident happened in a few short minutes.
What do you think his condition would have been had he been in a tee shirt and shorts?

Again, it may never happen to you, but is it worth the risk? That's all I'm trying to say.
I agree with you 100% Nomex is a much more safe way to go, but you rarely see anyone in a HPDE event wearing Nomex. The discussion was more about weather a long sleeve shirt is more safe than a short sleeve shirt. Probably not going to make much of a difference in the scheme of things. I doubt anyone would argue that Nomex is not more safe than wearing normal clothes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts